In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

If anybody figures out if the radio antenna on the new fugly HDs screws onto the K2 base (and receives signal) let me know. THANKS

Edited by wforrest08

Ok not HD radio... the antenna mass on the new style T1 2020 Heavy Dutys  appears to be shorter in length than the mass on the K2s.

Since no one can agree on a “shorty antenna”  that has equivalent reception to the factory whip I’d like to try the “new one” if the reception is the same since the ball on mine is getting worn thin and I have no interest in cutting down the mass and gluing the ball back on.

Also appears the “new antenna” maybe more substantial so maybe it doesn’t bend as much going down the highway? Might have to go test drive a fugly & see?

• Like 1

FM/AM antenna length has not changed much if at all in decades, because it is tuned to be 1/4 wavelength across much of the FM band. That's why AM stations sound more staticy if you're not nearby, it's more sensitive to the antenna length reduction because most users listen to FM now.

If the T1 does have a shorter antenna, it's either going to be worse reception of FM or they've got a preamplifier to increase the gain to make up for the shorter length.

Antenna science is what it is, my friend. My K2 antenna is the same length as all the other non-amplified radio setups I've had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

In simple terms, unless you install a properly set up pre-amp on the antenna, a shorter one is going to be worse reception-wise.

People do still buy shortys, but if you do, be prepared for what that brings. You'll be out of range a lot sooner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Yeah I understand how radio frequencies work. I’ve read every thread on here about “shorties”, deleting it, hidden ones, etc and done plenty of internet research on them...

I should have said close to same reception or descent reception or whatever like the factory whip. I’d be content with a 10-25% loss. I don’t get the reviews posted for most “shorties” one guy will claim lives in a mountain valley in the woods and gets stations 200 miles away (yeah right) and next guy says lives on the flattest part of earth parked 250ft away from the stations tower and can’t get it...

I literally only listen to local radio if there’s a college game on, local race, or if there are weather alerts in the area otherwise it’s XM or playlists. So if the “new antenna” works great if not oh well figured it’s worth trying if I can pick one up cheap and it screws on plus it looks better IMO than the current whip.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Josh Dalrymple
      So I posted last week about an issue I've been having for quite some time. I've recently got a big up my butt about getting it take care of, and was messing around with it and discovered something new that may help with the diagnosis. 

When I push the voice activation button, the system says "ready" then beeps. At this point, if I say nothing it will tell me some of the commands I can say. however if after the beep I say anything, it doesn't respond at all, and after about 30 seconds will say "goodbye" and hang up on me. Now, if I press the OnStar button which uses the same microphone, the OnStar rep can hear me just fine, so I know its not the microphone. 

Any ideas?
    • By Jonathon Baker
      Okay, First time listener, first time caller... Sorry just had to. When I get frustrated I handle it with humor.

So, what I have is this issue. I purchased 7" In Dash 7010B from Wish and bench tested power up ✅
      Then I ordered the PAC RP5-GM11 Interface. Wired up as instructed. And viola, no power. 
      I then searched for NO POWER (PAC) and came upon the Tech Bulletin. Completed those instructions, and NADA. 

I've got nothing. So, yesterday, I contacted service on Wish & Amazon to start over. Have a new/different radio coming, and a new RP5 coming.

Who has successfully wired these RP5's into a suburban? 
      Is the selector correct to be on 7(Other)?
      Obviously, I am doing something wrong...

Any help would be appreciated.

j-vet
    • By Martinez_adam7
      Will a mylink stereo from a 2016 Silverado fit in my 2014 Silverado ? 
    • By ChristianR
      I currently have the little 4” screen in my truck and was wondering if anyone has tried to go get an 8” screen and HMI out of a and junkyard truck and plug it up. Would that work? I dont feel like paying $1500 for something to still be stock
    • By 1.50
      Hi All,

I'm new here, so I apologize if this thread has been covered and thanks for having me.
      I installed an aftermarket stereo with a 500 watt amp, 12" sub, and door speakers on my 2014 Sierra 2500 HD WT. All items installed are Kenwood. I was looking to add a little depth to the bass notes and adding hands-free/Bluetooth upgrades from the base work truck RADIO. The volume at max level is sub par at best. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I didn't change the highs up front. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the low volume? Maybe the tweeter is more restricted, IDK and definitely lost. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.