2000 gmc wont go into 4wd

brooksie

Question

I have a 2000 GMC with the manual 4wd(floor shift) I have replaced the front actuator and the transfer case switch. I still don't have 4wd and the light doesn't come on but you can hear the actuator engage in the front end. I don't know where to go from here. Can someone help?

1 answer to this question

With the engine running and in park, shift the TC into 4wd, wait another 5 seconds or so, turn the engine off, then jack up one of the front wheels.

Try to rotate the wheel you jacked off the ground

-if it doesn't rotate much, then you are in 4wd

-if it does rotate, but the front driveshaft doesn't rotate, then there is a problem with locking the front axle (from a power/ground/fuse problem, to wiring, to 4wd sensor in the TC, to front actuator not working, to stub axle/locking gear broken, to front diff broken)

-if it does rotate, and the front driveshaft rotates with it, then something in the TC is broken, most likely the chain

In the future, I would highly recommend first trying to find where the problem is, rather than just throwing parts at the truck and hoping.