Maintenance opinions on my 02 2500HD

Background - I have an 02 2500HD that I purchased new and have pretty much babied it. It has 64k miles and has basically been a garage queen for its entire life.  The first couple of years, I put some mileage on her, but then bought a 3rd car and she became the weekend Home Depot warrior and then also towing my Mustang Drag car to 5 to 6 racer a year.  We moved and we left my drag car behind, so now it sits 'a lot'  and I maybe put on 1k per year.....'maybe'.

So here is my ask, I am heading on a 850 mile one way trip back up to CT to pick up my Mustang and then towing the Mustang back down the 850 miles back to NC. What would you do for maintenance before making the trip - here is what I have done so far:

- Just changed the oil & filter & Greased front end - the oil only had 800 miles on it, but was last changed 2 years ago - along with Air filter.  

- Just change the Transmission fluid and filter - last changed 5 years ago - 2.3k miles on the fluid - looked like brand new with nothing in the pan.  

- Changed the serpentine belt / AC belt and idler pully 6 months ago....no issues, just because. 

- All new brakes and rotors all 4 corners 2.3k miles ago 

- Plugs and Wires were done less than 10k miles ago - but more than 6 years ago. 

- Front Diff has been changed along with Transfer case - more then 6 years ago, but less than 10k miles

- Rear diff has never been changed, its been checked, but not changed - its an open diff - no locker. 

Here is what I plan on doing this coming weekend:

- Change Brake Fluid - last changed when brakes were done. 

- Change Power Steering Fluid - Never done.

- Change fuel filter - last changed over 6 years ago, but less then 10k miles. 

Here is what I am on the fence with …..

- Plan on changing the DexCool - but I don't know if I should change the upper and lower Radiator hoses or not, the hoses have never been changed but they seem pliable and I do not see any dry rot or weak spots - should I also change the thermostat at the same time as well? - I have changed the DexCool in the past, around 7 years ago, but only around 10k miles.

Is there anything else that I am missing that you would or would NOT do …… There are a lot of opinions of - if it ain't broke, do fix it.....but preventive maintenance is  much easier at home, then on the I-95 …..

Edited by mhraracing

The coolant is a good idea. Leave the hoses if the around the spring clamps, they look ok.

That said, When I tow south of New England, I take off the big air intake, move it up and out of the way

then remove the thermostat housing ( 2 -10 mm screws) , this will drain a lot of the coolant, install a 160 thermostat.

The truck will run in closed loop fine, no codes, and the transmission temps will be less. The stock trans cooler, IMHO is barely good enough for towing anything substantial and keep trans under 200. Installing a bigger cooler is easy once you remove the pins holding headlights and the grill.

Clean the throttle body, with throttlebody cleaner while the big air hose is off. Clean both sides of the throttle plate as well. It must be spotless.

If you buy concentrate, use Distilled water with it.

Good luck!

• Like 1

If I read correctly, the hoses have never been changed in 17 years. I would change all of them them. The rubber used in hoses and belts (EPDM) today don't show external deterioration as in hoses from days gone by. Plus I'd change the rear diff locker or not

• Like 2

Change the hoses.  I did on my 2002 two years ago.  Not hard to do since you are going to change the coolant anyway.  

Yes, change the rear diff fluid.  You might have a drain plug like I do on my 1500,  2002.   Makes it super easy to do.  It will be flush with the bottom of the rear diff.  Also, AMSOIL's new squeeze packs makes diff fluid changes a breeze. No need for a pump or trying to get a quart container up at weird angles to the fill hole.

Sounds like you got it all under control.  Power steering fluid always gets left in the dust.  I changed mine out to synthetic Red Line a long time ago and then when AMSOIL came out with Power Steering fluid I switched it over to AMSOIL.

Thanks for all the feedback ! 

I am going to change the upper & lower Radiator hoses as they are cheap insurance & I will change the rear diff - I don't think it has a drain plug, so pulling the cover off will allow me to check it out.

I will hit the TB and will clean the MA sensor as well with sensor cleaner - cabin filters have been changed, but I already have new one, so I will give them a once over.

I always wondered if I should update the stock trans cooler - if I do, is there one that you recommend ? 

Hey buddy. I have had 2 late model Chevy's (01 and 03 2500hd)

They are Tanks!

But You Mentioned the Differential.

1 thing I would definitely check that came loose on mine is the 

I wanna say it's a vent hose. It's driver side going back to the Differential and

Can come loose and if it does it can ruin your diff.

If you see a black hose Connected to it in rear you're good.

Other than that you need some tunes!!