Diesel without options or gas with all the options

I’m not asking about gas vs diesel... we all know the diesel pulls better. Let’s not turn this into one of the countless other threads about that. 

What I want to know is, if you had xxxxxx dollars to spend and those dollars can get get you a fully loaded Denali gasser or a decently optioned SLE diesel, which would you buy?

I drive about 3 miles per day to and from work. I tow about 10000 lbs maybe 8-10 times during the summer. (Family trips to the lake.) 

I know I’d love the diesel for towing but I also know I’d love the tech and options for my daily driving. 

I have a 2016 6.0 SLE now and put maybe 8k miles a year on the truck. 

What would you do?

Gasser all the way for what you are using it for and the miles per year.  I've never regretted getting a 6.0 gas engine, it hauls my 3,200 truck camper and still allows me to tow a trailer with my UTV all over Alaska (including multiple mountain passes every direction).

• Like 1

I can’t speak for everyone, but the loaded gasser is how I’d go. Matter of fact, I did. I have a short daily drive, and tow a 5er maybe 8-10 times a year. Sure, the diesel will absolutely tow better in hilly or mountainous terrain, but flatland is a wash. If I worked the truck more often on a regular basis, it’d be different. I went to a gas burner with my 2017 Super Duty, and now with the 2020 High Country, it does fine as well. 

In in the end, get what you are happy with and don’t settle. Don’t get a loaded gasser and miss the diesel, and don’t get a diesel and miss the options you really want. 

I’m in the same boat but would have about a 20 minute drive on the highway each way a few times a week and the weekend running around town with kids for sports. 

I was considering gas for the exact same reasons. 

The diesel would be fine on the short commute, I have had several and a 2020 now.  4 mile drive to and from work for 2 years, no issues.  That said, as much as I prefer driving the diesel empty and loaded, I’ think I’d go with the Denali and 6.6 gas for the options if I had to choose.  If it were still the 6.0 I’d lean back towards the diesel but I think the 6.6 gas will be a nice bump in power and towing and will easily handle what you need to tow.

15 minutes ago, Popo1984 said:

I’m in the same boat but would have about a 20 minute drive on the highway each way a few times a week and the weekend running around town with kids for sports. 

I was considering gas for the exact same reasons. 

My towing would be a 28BHBE jayco about 2 or 3 trips a year. My half ton could pull that trailer ok but once we hit some hills and cross wind when getting passed by 18 wheelers I knew I needed a 3/4 ton. Plus sometimes I load my 4wheeler in the bed and take the trailer. 

10 hours ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

I can’t speak for everyone, but the loaded gasser is how I’d go. Matter of fact, I did. I have a short daily drive, and tow a 5er maybe 8-10 times a year. Sure, the diesel will absolutely tow better in hilly or mountainous terrain, but flatland is a wash. If I worked the truck more often on a regular basis, it’d be different. I went to a gas burner with my 2017 Super Duty, and now with the 2020 High Country, it does fine as well. 

In in the end, get what you are happy with and don’t settle. Don’t get a loaded gasser and miss the diesel, and don’t get a diesel and miss the options you really want. 

How’s your mpg been on the new 6.6? Haven’t really found much info on them in the real world yet.

8 minutes ago, Pastusak.t said:

How’s your mpg been on the new 6.6? Haven’t really found much info on them in the real world yet.

Towing the TT we had I got 8.7, so it was decent. The TT was 36' and weighed almost 9500 lbs. On the highway, I'm seeing 16-17 so far and in town around 13-14. The truck has 1500 miles on it, so it may change some, but I'm not expecting it, honestly. The engine has great grunt when towing and doesn't struggle at all. The transmission programming is great also and it will hold gears and not not shift down at the slightest incline, etc.  When it does, it once again holds the gear until needed instead of quickly shifting to a higher gear. We're getting ready to take the truck on a long interstate trip, so that should be a good test.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

Towing the TT we had I got 8.7, so it was decent. The TT was 36' and weighed almost 9500 lbs. On the highway, I'm seeing 16-17 so far and in town around 13-14. The truck has 1500 miles on it, so it may change some, but I'm not expecting it, honestly. The engine has great grunt when towing and doesn't struggle at all. The transmission programming is great also and it will hold gears and not not shift down at the slightest incline, etc.  When it does, it once again holds the gear until needed instead of quickly shifting to a higher gear. We're getting ready to take the truck on a long interstate trip, so that should be a good test.

That's pretty much what i am seeing for mileage also at about 1800 miles. did a about 140 miles on sunday to check out the highway mileage was around 17 at about 65mph or so.  towing the trailer which is 10000# enclosed car hauler about 9-10 depending on the terrain and speed and about 13 or so around town. i feel the same about the new 6.6 gas motor much improvement over my old 6.0's.  the Dmax is no doubt a towing animal but my daily driving habits of a 4 mile round trip to and from work and towing the trailer 6 or 7 times a year really don't justify the diesel. i opted for a loaded LTZ and Iam very happy with it so far. 

IMG_4951.JPG

IMG_4952.JPG

• Like 2

I was in the same situation where I could have bought a new 2019 diesel work truck with dealer swapped heated leather seats for the price of my 2020 LT Gasser. But I have a 10 minute commute to work in the morning, 15 minute drive to pickup the kids from school and about 15 minute drive home, average 33 miles a day with both city and highway. Tow a moderately heavy trailer year round and the winter driving with the new trailer is what prompted me to upgrade from the 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton again. I have just over 800 miles on it and this morning I had 260 miles on the tripmeter with 1/2 tank of gas on the gauge at 13.3 mpg for the tank. When I was doing several 30-40 minute highway runs empty at 70 mph it looked like I was averaging 17-18 mpg on the computer. My hand calculated mpg was lower than the computer though.