2019 Yukon Xl Denali USB and Video

Has anyone successfully gotten video to play on the ceiling drop down monitors through a USB stick? I was under the impression this was possible but I haven't been able to get anything to work. The DLNA system is flaky to say the least and not exactly easy to setup with iPhones.

I have formatted the USB stick to multiple drive formats and tried MP4s that are h264 encoded, mpeg4 and mpeg2 encoded. So far, nothing works. The center console USB ports don't seem to want to recognize anything despite showing up in the rear entertainment menu. iPhone will play music and audio but that's it.

Thanks all. Sorry if this has been covered. I've been searching the forums but haven't found an answer. And GMC will not define what the system does or what "compatible devices" are. Aggravating.

Has anyone successfully gotten video to play on the ceiling drop down monitors through a USB stick? I was under the impression this was possible but I haven't been able to get anything to work. The DLNA system is flaky to say the least and not exactly easy to setup with iPhones.

I have formatted the USB stick to multiple drive formats and tried MP4s that are h264 encoded, mpeg4 and mpeg2 encoded. So far, nothing works. The center console USB ports don't seem to want to recognize anything despite showing up in the rear entertainment menu. iPhone will play music and audio but that's it.

Thanks all. Sorry if this has been covered. I've been searching the forums but haven't found an answer. And GMC will not define what the system does or what "compatible devices" are. Aggravating.

I have connected USB flash drive to the rear screen, and I have successfully used DLNA.
For the USB, you MUST connect the USB to slots at the back, not at the driver centre console. All control will be from the rear.
For the DLNA, you must download the media you want to play on you IOS/Android devices and search AppStore/GooglePlay for DLNA apps. I have used TV Assist (by e2eSoft) on my iPhone and it works perfectly.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2019 at 3:51 AM, SARNCAN said:

I have connected USB flash drive to the rear screen, and I have successfully used DLNA.
For the USB, you MUST connect the USB to slots at the back, not at the driver centre console. All control will be from the rear.
For the DLNA, you must download the media you want to play on you IOS/Android devices and search AppStore/GooglePlay for DLNA apps. I have used TV Assist (by e2eSoft) on my iPhone and it works perfectly.

Thanks, Sarncan.  

Can you tell me what format the USB drive was and what video format you were able to play on the USB stick? I have tried FAT32, NTFS, MAC Journaled on the stick, h264 mp4, MPEG 2 mp4, MPEG 4 mp4... nothing has been recognized. 

The DLNA has worked but the connection has been a little flaky. I think I had better luck with TV assist than the other apps. 

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Thanks, Sarncan.  

Can you tell me what format the USB drive was and what video format you were able to play on the USB stick? I have tried FAT32, NTFS, MAC Journaled on the stick, h264 mp4, MPEG 2 mp4, MPEG 4 mp4... nothing has been recognized. 

The DLNA has worked but the connection has been a little flaky. I think I had better luck with TV assist than the other apps. 

Thanks again.

I will check you the right USB format and reply to you, at the meanwhile here are the media format
======

Available resolution: Within 720 x 576 (W x H) pixels.

Frame rate: Less than 30 fps.

Playable movie file: .avi, .mpg, .mp4, .divx, .xvid, .wmv.

--The playable movie file may not be played according to the codec format.

Playable codec format: divx, xvid, mpeg-1, mpeg-4 (mpg4, mp42, mp43), wmv9 (wmv3).

Playable Audio format: MP3, AC3, AAC, WMA.

Max video bitrate:
mpeg-1: 8Mbps
mpeg-4 (mpg4, mp42, mp43):4Mbps
wmv9: 3 Mbps
divx 3: 3 Mbps
divx 4/5/6: 4.8 Mbps
xvid: 4.5 Mbps

Max audio bitrate:
mp3: 320 Kbps
wma: 320 Kbps
ac-3: 640 Kbps
aac: 449 Kbps
  • Thanks 1

Great. Going to give all of this a shot. Thanks again.

Side note: was at the dealer this morning picking up a few things and talked to their parts/expert. He said he tried for four months to get it working and couldn't. Crazy.

I would say it is definitely the media conversion. Just use the website I’ve provided and use *.mp4 format and hopefully it will work. If not, try different USB 3 flash drives, but I doubt that it was the problem, because I previously used USB 2.0 without issues.
  • Thanks 1

Update on all I did here:

The USB 3.0 flash drive I was using wasn't liked by the system. To mix things up, I put an SD card into a USB reader and plugged it in and it liked it. I was a bit surprised. I grabbed a USB 3.1 reader formatted at FAT32 and that worked great. Seems to like a variety of codecs but sticking with H264 MP4 seems to be best.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Update on all I did here:   The USB 3.0 flash drive I was using wasn't liked by the system. To mix things up, I put an SD card into a USB reader and plugged it in and it liked it. I was a bit surprised. I grabbed a USB 3.1 reader formatted at FAT32 and that worked great. Seems to like a variety of codecs but sticking with H264 MP4 seems to be best.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Great news, so everything is working fine now?

And what I understand is that the problem was from the USB flash drive itself, right?

The issue was with the USB drive which is weird. I tried a few different drives that were USB 2 and USB 3.0  at FAT32 and they were not working. When I tried the SD card through the card reader and it worked, I figured it had to be a USB protocol thing. The USB 3.1 drives worked. Odd that it would be that picky but it's not exactly a mainstream system. All of these car systems are finicky.

Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1

The issue was with the USB drive which is weird. I tried a few different drives that were USB 2 and USB 3.0  at FAT32 and they were not working. When I tried the SD card through the card reader and it worked, I figured it had to be a USB protocol thing. The USB 3.1 drives worked. Odd that it would be that picky but it's not exactly a mainstream system. All of these car systems are finicky.

Thanks again for your help.

No problem.
It is really weird that it is so picky, but at least glad that it finally worked well.
Cheers

• 2 years later...