In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
baddog2010

Home steading critters

Anybody got a good remedy to keep mice out of engine compartment and interior? Nests, chewing up wires, cloth, nuts rolling around in channels, air ducts. I've tried 2-3 moth balls in panty hose hanging 6-8 different locations in engine compartment and they or something chews thru the hose and eats, removes moth balls. Little varmints back to home steading in 3 days.Tried two different types of electronic devices, no go. Figure that just gave'm some new tunes to listen to.

You got tall grass?   You need to make the environment less hospitable.

Get some stray tomcats to hang around outside 😉

i know people hate them....but glue traps work

Edited by greatmizzou

Live in the woods, shot the cats, snakes are gone. cats didnt keep mice out of vehicles. really dont want to bother with traps, would be constant upkeep. poison might get to my dogs. gotta have my dogs. they keep the big cats, coyotes out of sight.

snakes helped but didnt like opening hood to check oil n things and have big ol' black king monster laying there on the manifold saying hello. kind a makes ya fill your drawers with warm gooey stuff real quick like.

but then by the time ya go inside to change they've usually moved to another location and ya spend another hour peeking thru your truck from a distance and open your door real slow, dont forget to check under seat too. Not much fun doing 60 mph and this black heater hose comes out from under seat near your feet or the sudden drop from the dash. That really gets ya to 80 mph in about 1 second.

Tends to back up traffic a bit behind ya till ya get back in because you had to check your tires from the wonderful braking power.

yes, mice in vehicle engine compartments can be an experience.

Traps suck, but if I had a problem, that’s what I would use.  I use the simple wooden snap traps.  I don’t even bother removing them from the trap.  I just throw the entire mess away.  After a short (for me) time, they stop and I have no problem.  I always make a point to set traps in the fall when they’re looking for a home. And, I keep an eye out for any sign of them.  FWIW, I have a whole house generator that has an engine warmer and the mice love it.  Thankfully for me, they don’t seem to gnaw on the wiring.  

I’d keep traps loaded next to a wall at the nearest building to where you park your car.

Mice hate Irish Spring soap scent. Cut small bars in half and scatter where needed.

1 hour ago, baddog2010 said:

but then by the time ya go inside to change they've usually moved to another location and ya spend another hour peeking thru your truck from a distance and open your door real slow, dont forget to check under seat too. Not much fun doing 60 mph and this black heater hose comes out from under seat near your feet or the sudden drop from the dash. That really gets ya to 80 mph in about 1 second.

Snakes in/on a Silverado, have you contacted Samuel L Jackson to see if he is in?

Sounds like a holiday movie release all over it.....

I have had good results with a couple of techniques on all my vehicles.

I will change out the cabin filter, and while the filter is out, I spray a peppermint oil / water mixture in the filter area and up into the duct work.   

The engine, wash it and let it dry.  Spray the same peppermint oil / water solution on the engine and engine compartment.  For the filter air box, I drop in a few moth balls in there.

I live on a farm in central Iowa. This method has stopped much of my problems with mice and such. The little buggers would nest up frequently in my vehicles and equipment especially come cold weather. Not so much anymore.

Edited by Cowpie

Whats the name of the peppermint stuff? I've purchased a premix and also a bottle of mint oil extract from 'Sun essential oils', both are so weak, barely has pepper mint odor.