In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Thunderstruck

anybody put on a Bug Sheild /Hood deflector

11 hours ago, leafspring said:

Ceramic coated, clear bra on the bumper and grill, auto vent shade.

E65E5A95-EC74-41F9-9926-804888C8B801.jpeg

Great pic - it prodded me to order one for my white 19 LT TB. I went with matte to match all my trim and will post pics tomorrow if Amazon does their part.  Amazon free return on this if I don't like the matte LOL.  

Abort abort....

I noticed since mine was the smoke color it was trapping water inside and a boat load of pine needles that somehow got in there. Then I noticed the 3m tape was coming off in the corner and starting to lift off. Not from the truck but from tape to bug shield. So I removed it before it flew off on the freeway. It was a painful exercise to get that 3m tape off. Won't ever put one of those on again...

Don't attempt to remove it without a hairdryer or heat gun to loosen the 3m tape adhesive. I don't know how I got it off without damaging paint. I was filling expecting it to rip the paint coming off. It was stuck on there good.1dd740ff446551ace56137d2459d4d47.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Abort abort....

I noticed since mine was the smoke color it was trapping water inside and a boat load of pine needles that somehow got in there. Then I noticed the 3m tape was coming off in the corner and starting to lift off. Not from the truck but from tape to bug shield. So I removed it before it flew off on the freeway. It was a painful exercise to get that 3m tape off. Won't ever put one of those on again...

Don't attempt to remove it without a hairdryer or heat gun to loosen the 3m tape adhesive. I don't know how I got it off without damaging paint. I was filling expecting it to rip the paint coming off. It was stuck on there good.1dd740ff446551ace56137d2459d4d47.jpg

Best way to remove it is with a fishing line. ‘Floss’ it up away from the truck and it’ll come right off. Clean up the remaining residue with a little alcohol or some other cleaner and you’re good to go. But the one I have has little channels for the water and debris to escape to.

5 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Abort abort....

Well that just sucks.  I don't think I've ever seen one come off the deflector first.  Hopefully they will replace it for you.  I use 20lb test fishing line and a heat gun and comes right off.  Hard to do on the side of the road I'll bet. 

Thanks for the fishing line tip. I only paid $40 for it. I tossed it in the trash. It isn't worth enough to bother with a warranty replacement. If I did do it again it would be the matte one. The smoke one was very scratched up after 3 months.

Paint protection film on the front might be the better way to go in my opinion.

4 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

Thanks for the fishing line tip. I only paid $40 for it. I tossed it in the trash. It isn't worth enough to bother with a warranty replacement. If I did do it again it would be the matte one. The smoke one was very scratched up after 3 months.

Paint protection film on the front might be the better way to go in my opinion.

Cool - I got mine yesterday as I had ordered (matte) before your post.  Hope I have better luck.  I heated the tape on the deflector and pushed it all down again and heated the hood too.  Time will tell.....yikes.  

20191016_130130.jpg

5 minutes ago, mwbutcher said:

Cool - I got mine yesterday as I had ordered (matte) before your post.  Hope I have better luck.  I heated the tape on the deflector and pushed it all down again and heated the hood too.  Time will tell.....yikes.  

20191016_130130.jpg

20191016_130108.jpg

Installed the GM part numbered one which is basically the Lund/AVS unit installation was simple and as with previous trucks I put it on top of my existing PPF/ Xpel.

19 b1.jpg

On 10/8/2019 at 5:57 PM, michael betz said:

Put it on after first paint chip a week after I got it. Its AVS brand. I like it. Easy 3M install 

20190902_114054.jpg

What’d you do to get the white behind the Chevrolet? Did you just paint that back plastic piece? 

44 minutes ago, Derek Keith Carbonneau said:

What’d you do to get the white behind the Chevrolet? Did you just paint that back plastic piece? 

It's a trail boss, it came all black, I plasidipped the whole bar white and peeled it all off around the letters. 

1 hour ago, michael betz said:

It's a trail boss, it came all black, I plasidipped the whole bar white and peeled it all off around the letters. 

Sweet, thanks. I have the WT, similar grille, and originally just put vinyl right there but it got

holes all over. I’ll try plastidip this time. 

On 10/15/2019 at 4:06 PM, ShamrockShooter said:

Abort abort....

.02    M<y prediction aeroskin may soon become swearoskin!  Been there, done that with a sports bra; and nothing is touching my hood except rain water air and wax!

Exactly what do you think will happen after accumulations of road salt, alkali soap, pollen dust crap finds its way through gaps in the tape and accumulates under there for months or years? Like the hood hugging bra, trapped moisture combined wit the heat of the engine under the hot Summer Sun boils the trapped moisture and the hood underneath gets the crap cooked out of it which sits on the surface of your Jello hard clear coat. As many leaving their bra on too long soon discover the clear coat turns milky or delaminates. So unless that "skin" is hermetically sealed so not even a dust particle or drop of water can trapped underneath you're setting yourself up for a potential screwing.

Once burned, twice wary.....I took the hard way out and installed an off the hood EGR deflector. And what a pain in the ass to install because in order to secure using the existing underhood pre-punched holes they are forced to use shallow fasteners, impossible to install without a third hand and a small step ladder. Chevy website wants $109 and Amazon $52 probably because of a 1.5 star rating.....not for the quality of the product, but the crapo directions and frustration of the install. But for those willing to take the time and effort this provides a real class look, the black matte finish option providing a match to RST and similar bumper trims and not just a shiny piece of plastic glued top the hood. A nice solid mount with space for cleaning and waxing the hood underneath and can be removed in less than 5 minutes with noDSCN0716.JPG.15d228f3cd27650be2017d33d82a1d2f.JPGDSCN0717.JPG.e2ff219eaf4f447f7f9f4520251dd0bc.JPGDSCN0718.JPG.68efb4e02e6807b27e45d3f677140d73.JPGDSCN0719.JPG.0fc736c267e6105212cf889252e59701.JPGDSCN0720.JPG.15bf01b86a33f24a2885c54f99ae04f8.JPG remaining trace of install and the hood completely intact.

On 10/14/2019 at 10:16 PM, DanTN said:

I just had my truck ceramic coated and not sure if the 3M tape will hold or not. Plus I'm not crazy about putting something on the truck with sticky tape. Can yours be taken completely off without opening the hood or is it pretty secured? Yours looks great!

I had the lund stick on 3m tape style and mines ceramic coated and  week later at 75 mph it let loose on a corner and made a mess out of the hood. I had to cut/buff and recoat it.  

6290.jpeg

Edited by Flatblack83

On 11/17/2019 at 3:48 PM, Flatblack83 said:

I had the lund stick on 3m tape style and mines ceramic coated and  week later at 75 mph it let loose on a corner and made a mess out of the hood. I had to cut/buff and recoat it.  

6290.jpeg

Thanks for the info.

That's what I was afraid of. I recently had mine ceramic coated too and figured it would not stick very long.

truck back right side.jpg