OEM Windshield Chevrolet Trail Boss | GM Strike Impact

So I am trying to find OEM windshield for my Trail Boss LT (No lane departure), but with the GM strike, the dealership and other vendors are saying they have no idea when they would be able to get the part :( .  

Any concerns with using after market?  There was a thread that the correct glass is angled at the bottom and make sure you utilize that if its after market.  Anyone else have any experience using after market?  I really do not want to wait for this strike to end, the crack went from about 2 inches to 30 in the last few weeks.

I am getting the same story from my GM dealer on certain parts for my repair shop customer pay jobs,you can ask the dealer to put special handling on vin specific items. That assigns a vin to a part and becomes critical,not sure if windshields are in that group of parts

4 hours ago, FiatDale said:

There’s no harm in using an aftermarket glass. They all have to meet DOT safety standards.

I got a new windshield from safelight a few years ago for my 2014 Silverado. It looked just like factory with the lane departure camera cutouts and all.  I bet it was made in the same place. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 1:02 PM, FiatDale said:

There’s no harm in using an aftermarket glass. They all have to meet DOT safety standards.

Yes, but in my (expensive) experience, they're not the same.  I once replaced a cracked factory glass (Nissan Titan) with a Safelite replacement and had to quickly replace it with an OEM glass (at a MUCH higher cost).  The problem is that aftermarket glass manufacturers, LOVE to put that blue tinted "sunshade" strip at the top.  this would be fine, except I'm tall and with the seat all the way lowered, my line of sight goes right through that portion of the windshield, making it very difficult to see.

So, if you're not super tall, and don't otherwise mind the blue tint at the top, go for it (and save 2/3 the cost of an OEM one).  But if you're like me, go ahead and spend for the OEM.  FWIW, i called every glass shop in town to find an aftermarket without the tint strip... maybe GM is different because of volume, but for my old truck, replacement clear glass did not exist.

I just got a new windshield, and it was "aftermarket".  Why did I put quotes around aftermarket you say? Because the new body style glass is still only made by GM, so the aftermarket company just marked out the GM on the glass.  So you may still get GM glass if you go aftermarket, you just need to make sure it matches your body style.

looks like the strike is over, UAW got their way again , 
Yep.

Just in time. I was at the dealer today getting some minor warranty servicing done and they have 14 2019-2020 Silverados trucks on the lot. They usually have 50 to chose from. They have 1 High Country, 2 LTs, and one RST. The rest of them are all customs or Work Trucks. Inventory is so low they moved all of the used trucks to the front of the lot next to the street.

Glad the strike over because it was starting to impact local economies everywhere.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk