Trail boss 6.2l 10 speed reviews, anyone?

I don't have the TB but I have the 6.2 10 speed LTZ and love it.
Love that 10 speed, I think its the best tranny GM has built in a while.
Tom

Thanks. Sounds good. I have been battling on what will be the next truck. My dream, a Raptor. But not other Ford. Love the TB with 6.2, Tundra TRD Pro and the Ram Rebel without red interior. Will have to drive all but love all 3 for different reasons.

I don’t think any have even been made yet...haven’t seen a single one. Thought they had “late availability” last I heard. Probably even later now on account of the strike.

But to tide you over, you can look up reviews on the GMC AT4 6.2. Same powertrain, same lift, just has more goodies and a different exterior appearance. Between that truck and the 2019 Trail Boss reviews you can have a damn good idea of what you would get. Nothing really exclusive as everything has existed in other packages for a year.

Love the powertrain. Best you can get in a pickup, by a mile IMO.

• Like 1

Only small complaint I have is the 1 - 2 shift can be REALLY HARD depending on yer throttle input.  Otherwise, I think it’s pretty cool.  Tows good, too. 

Its really nice having all those gears to work with in manual going down long mountain passes, especially if there’s some what I call Pilgrims on the road with you.  Gear down a couple-four three for the steeper pitches, then go back up a couple three when it flattens out some, then back down as the grade increases again. A lot of speeds to choose from, but you can always find the perfect one.  

it’s nice, too, in those looong uphill mountain highway pulls in automatic. It just finds the perfect gear for the steady pulls, and kicks down perfectly when you get room to pass.   Gets even more fun in “Sport Mode”.  

love it!

32 minutes ago, BenThere said:

Only small complaint I have is the 1 - 2 shift can be REALLY HARD depending on yer throttle input.  Otherwise, I think it’s pretty cool.  Tows good, too. 

Its really nice having all those gears to work with in manual going down long mountain passes, especially if there’s some what I call Pilgrims on the road with you.  Gear down a couple-four three for the steeper pitches, then go back up a couple three when it flattens out some, then back down as the grade increases again. A lot of speeds to choose from, but you can always find the perfect one.  

it’s nice, too, in those looong uphill mountain highway pulls in automatic. It just finds the perfect gear for the steady pulls, and kicks down perfectly when you get room to pass.   Gets even more fun in “Sport Mode”.  

love it!

I thought those hard 1-2 shift only happened in the 8 speed.  Happened a few times to me. 8 speed.  Usually in the cold mornings. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen a TB with the 6.2 on a lot yet.  I did a search from the chevy website for a TB with the 6.2 no results and this is within a 2000 mile radius of my zip code.  The only options I picked were CC, LT Trail boss and 6.2.  No match.  They just opened up the ability to order last month so it will probably by another 1-2 months before they show up on dealer lots?

A local dealer did tell me that they have them on order.  They don't show up on their website yet, not even in transit.

I have been waiting for a TB with the 6.2 since they announced it.....

20 minutes ago, ShamrockShooter said:

For what it's worth, my salesperson said he has had a customer recently trade in the 6.2 for a 5.3 because they didn't want to pay for premium fuel and wasn't getting good mpgs with a 6.2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

If you buy one you better be prepared for around 13-15 city and on a good day 19-21 on the highway. Seems like those with the tb 2" lift are seeing even less than those numbers, my 14 gets the numbers i posted pretty constanstantly. Don't go by those that way over estimate their mileage on this website, i seen some posting 25mpg lol not a damn chance unless your going downhill with a strong wind at your back. If you buy the 6.2 you should expect less than stellar mpg numbers.

1 hour ago, ShamrockShooter said:

For what it's worth, my salesperson said he has had a customer recently trade in the 6.2 for a 5.3 because they didn't want to pay for premium fuel and wasn't getting good mpgs with a 6.2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Funny, my last 6.2 2016 Sierra Standard Bed/4x4 with 22 inch wheels was getting the same as buddies 4x2 2018 Sierra 5.3 with 8 speed and also my wifes 2018 5.3 Yukon with 3.08 gears . All around 18-19 area. 

They are very close and you dont need to put in 91 in the 6.2 . Most would prefer 91 but it wont break with 87. Runs just fine. 

The 5.3 to me is lethargic and thats no disrespect to anyone that has one. 

13 minutes ago, Minarets said:

With the 6.2 93octane is only recommended l, not required, right?

No 91 premium and up is. As was said you can use 87 but i would not use it and drive it like you stole it. As long as you're not bringing the motor into high rpm ranges you should be ok. Though with 87 fuel it is not as clean, go look at pictures of people who crack these motors open and then ask yourself if you want to use cheap fuel to save a few bucks while junking up the insides of these motors. I mean i'm spending about 3 to 4 bucks more per fill up going with premium instead of regular fuel, not a terrible difference.

• Like 1

No 91 premium and up is. As was said you can use 87 but i would not use it and drive it like you stole it. As long as you're not bringing the motor into high rpm ranges you should be ok. Though with 87 fuel it is not as clean, go look at pictures of people who crack these motors open and then ask yourself if you want to use cheap fuel to save a few bucks while junking up the insides of these motors. I mean i'm spending about 3 to 4 bucks more per fill up going with premium instead of regular fuel, not a terrible difference.

Well, I do drive about 50k mikes a year, so more than most.

5 hours ago, BIGDOGx said:

If you buy one you better be prepared for around 13-15 city and on a good day 19-21 on the highway. Seems like those with the tb 2" lift are seeing even less than those numbers, my 14 gets the numbers i posted pretty constanstantly. Don't go by those that way over estimate their mileage on this website, i seen some posting 25mpg lol not a damn chance unless your going downhill with a strong wind at your back. If you buy the 6.2 you should expect less than stellar mpg numbers.

I have the AT4. It's not 25 mpg but i got 23 mpg on over 260 miles on a recent trip with speeds ranging between 70-75mph and a lot of slow downs. I agree with you on the city but highway is better than EPA estimates. Picture attached for proof. If i drive on a stretch of highway at 65mph, 24mpg is very much attainable. 

mpg.thumb.jpg.df6feebf026c5e62bfe8e9abd4e70768.jpg

I didn't get the 6.2 for it's gas mileage, just saying it like it is.

• Like 1

Agreed my at4 6.2 is amazing, and with 50/50 driveing im at 18 mpg, a highway best 25 miles of 25.3 mpg, truck only has 400 miles, i have the performance exhaust and with the 6.2 im not expecting great overall numbers because the fun factor is just to fun, almost as fun as my Firehawk

• Like 1