Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Brighter HID bulbs for base headlights in 2017 Silverado/Sierra 1500


Recommended Posts


Hi guys, so I'd like some more light put out of my factory headlight assemblies. My truck has the factory HIDs, but they don't seem that bright, and they never have. Is there an aftermarket bulb that works in the stock headlight housing with a higher LUX?

I have had these for 2+ years and love them. Made quiet a big difference in my opinion. Expensive but have been worth it. In the pic, left is OEM, right is morimoto.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d5s-morimoto-xb-hid.html?carDisplay=2017+Chevrolet+Silverado+1500+%28HID+Equipped%29&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1009a75dac92812dd8e26bdabbb991a63.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I have had these for 2+ years and love them. Made quiet a big difference in my opinion. Expensive but have been worth it. In the pic, left is OEM, right is morimoto.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d5s-morimoto-xb-hid.html?carDisplay=2017+Chevrolet+Silverado+1500+%28HID+Equipped%29&preselect=&preselect_restrict=1009a75dac92812dd8e26bdabbb991a63.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Second that, did the upgrade on my 15 2500 and 16 yukon high/lows/fogs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, DominatorZ71 said:

If you're looking for the best option I'd say a set of Hylux 35w bulbs and ballasts. Morimoto is very expensive for some very mixed reviews, some reporting losing their auto lights. My info is based on research I've done the last few weeks and my conclusion is going to be a complete retrofit

I just googled them. From what I read they're just plug and play correct? No splicing or cutting? If so that's what I'm going with... Also by auto lights, do you mean how they come on automatic at night?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I originally had the kit from TRS with Morimoto ballasts, igniters and bulbs. In the 2 years I’ve had the kit, I’ve changed out several ballasts and igniters. I recently had them change from the morimoto to the Hylux ballast/igniter combo on a warranty claim. I did this based on reviews and my own research on longevity. I even purchased a spare ballast and bulb for any future issues so I’m not without lights. So far I’ve been very pleased. I even got my father in law to upgrade his factory lights on his 14 Sierra this past weekend. If you order them from TRS, order the relay harness, anti flicker capacitor, bulbs, and the hylux ballasts. It super easy to install and I’m sure you’ll be pleased with the results.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Canadian GM Guy said:

I just googled them. From what I read they're just plug and play correct? No splicing or cutting? If so that's what I'm going with... Also by auto lights, do you mean how they come on automatic at night?

Yes on both. They are plug and play and I'm not sure about the Hyluxs but the Morimotos for sure will make Auto headlights (at night and tunnels) not work properly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, catpartsman said:

I originally had the kit from TRS with Morimoto ballasts, igniters and bulbs. In the 2 years I’ve had the kit, I’ve changed out several ballasts and igniters. I recently had them change from the morimoto to the Hylux ballast/igniter combo on a warranty claim. I did this based on reviews and my own research on longevity. I even purchased a spare ballast and bulb for any future issues so I’m not without lights. So far I’ve been very pleased. I even got my father in law to upgrade his factory lights on his 14 Sierra this past weekend. If you order them from TRS, order the relay harness, anti flicker capacitor, bulbs, and the hylux ballasts. It super easy to install and I’m sure you’ll be pleased with the results.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On our trucks it's all in one which makes it more expensive and less options. In order to keep the dust cover you have to stick to plug in play options. They're called D5s bulbs

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes on both. They are plug and play and I'm not sure about the Hyluxs but the Morimotos for sure will make Auto headlights (at night and tunnels) not work properly.
Hylux it is then! [emoji6][emoji106] I'll keep everyone posted, probably won't get them for a couple months. Canadian exchange rate sucks. Thanks for your help bud!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something to mention: make sure you do these if you don't want any cutting or splicing:

https://hidkitpros.com/shop/hylux-d5s-oe-headlight-xenon-hid-bulbs/

Doesn't have to be that site but they do another set that requires cutting into the dust cap that allows for even brighter options but modifying the dust cap.

https://www.distantxtremes.com/store/p1164/D5S-Hylux-HID-Upgrade-System.html#/

An install video is also available with that one if needed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something to mention: make sure you do these if you don't want any cutting or splicing:

https://hidkitpros.com/shop/hylux-d5s-oe-headlight-xenon-hid-bulbs/

Doesn't have to be that site but they do another set that requires cutting into the dust cap that allows for even brighter options but modifying the dust cap.

https://www.distantxtremes.com/store/p1164/D5S-Hylux-HID-Upgrade-System.html#/

An install video is also available with that one if needed

 

Interesting, I followed your link and it seems different to the ones I found. They all have a slightly different Kelvin rating. The inconsistency between the three links has me concerned, I tried to find a Hylux website but the only site I found only had ballasts. Are you sure these aren't some obscure cheap Chinese manufacture? Anyone have them that can confirm where they're made?

 

I should add that I wouldn't go with the style that requires cutting the dust caps.

 

 

Your link: https://hidkitpros.com/shop/hylux-d5s-oe-headlight-xenon-hid-bulbs/

 

 

Link 1 I found: https://esskcustoms.com/products/d5s-hylux-hid?variant=20327372292184&currency=CAD&utm_campaign=gs-2019-07-22

 

 

Link 2 I found: https://www.prolightz.com/hylux-d5s-hid-bulbs.html

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On our trucks it's all in one which makes it more expensive and less options. In order to keep the dust cover you have to stick to plug in play options. They're called D5s bulbs

I’m not sure how the new model lights are but the 14 and 15’s I’ve worked on have the dust covers for the back of the headlight housing. I just used a 1” step drill to drill a hole into the cover and the the helmet included with the bulb fit snug.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Canadian GM Guy said:

 

Interesting, I followed your link and it seems different to the ones I found. They all have a slightly different Kelvin rating. The inconsistency between the three links has me concerned, I tried to find a Hylux website but the only site I found only had ballasts. Are you sure these aren't some obscure cheap Chinese manufacture? Anyone have them that can confirm where they're made?

 

I should add that I wouldn't go with the style that requires cutting the dust caps.

 

 

Your link: https://hidkitpros.com/shop/hylux-d5s-oe-headlight-xenon-hid-bulbs/

 

 

Link 1 I found: https://esskcustoms.com/products/d5s-hylux-hid?variant=20327372292184&currency=CAD&utm_campaign=gs-2019-07-22

 

 

Link 2 I found: https://www.prolightz.com/hylux-d5s-hid-bulbs.html

 

Link 2 is the one. I can't open link one for some reason. And realistically all ballasts come from China but Hylux is a very reputable brand like Morimoto

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.