2020 L5P First Oil Change

Thank you!   One would be a complete idiot to use a sub standard oil or fuel filter in a $ 70,000.00 plus truck powered by a diesel or gasoline engine.   OEM is always the best way to go unless it has been absolutely 100% proven that an aftermarket filter is superior.   Hey, it’s your truck and your money, play at your own risk.   Always find it amusing where someone destroys their engine, wether by abuse,  using wrong oil or filter, then switch back over to the OEM filter trying to dupe the dealer and the factory to cover it under warranty.   Everyone wants to delete what they don’t understand and install fueling devices, cheat boxes, downloads, larger injectors, turbos and straight pipe exhaust to make more power, thus destroying their transmission and expect the factory to cover their tampering with a warranty.   It doesn’t matter what you drive, ride or fly, if you cheap up on the parts, modify the engine to increase it’s rated power output or skip on required maintenance the engine or transmission will fail.   I don’t care whose Diesel engine you believe is best or superior.    Just for the record Cummins has been around many more years than Duramax, Isuzu, Powerstroke, Toyota, Volvo Penta, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Kubota, CAT, Benz, VW, etc.  Choose your poison as they all work under the same scientific theory on internal combustion.   You can only blame the person in the mirror and no one else.    You are your own warranty station and I do hope you are smarter than the engineers who designed your truck.   If not, they will gladly sell you another one.    Cheers !!

Edited by Teach
Add on

5 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I believe he’s referencing diesel oil filters in general, both use diesel fuel and diesel oil.

Sent from Above

7 hours ago, MrGraff said:

Can we please keep this thread limited to 2020 L5P oil change information?  No need to even post anything about Cummins etc.  

I've used Amsoil, Baldwin, Napa, Bosch, and Mobil 1 filters over the last 20 years with various vehicles and they have all done their jobs.  There was a recent oil filter comparison done and is also posted over at duramaxforum for the 2019 L5P filters, and the Baldwin filter was one of the top performers.  Generally speaking any filter will have problems if it's used long enough and gets clogged up.  That being said just about any filter out there will do it's job for 5000 miles.

Clogged filters will cause the oil bypass valve to open and unfiltered oil will lube the engine.   It is the disintegration of the inner oil filter seals that will clog piston cooling jets that destroy the engine.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Teach said:

Clogged filters will cause the oil bypass valve to open and unfiltered oil will lube the engine.   It is the disintegration of the inner oil filter seals that will clog piston cooling jets that destroy the engine.

I am aware of how these engines work, in general clogged up means a wide range of things that contribute to problems with the engine.   Again, this thread is a first oil change on the new 2020 L5P, my personal truck and my personal oil change with the parts that I opted to use.  None of the parts I used are "bad" or have "bad" performance.  If you want to discuss things that don't pertain to 2020 L5P oil changes, or to the OP please take it elsewhere or to PM.

Keep in mind, all OEM filters are sourced from actual filter manufacturers and rebranded with the OEM label.   For instance, Cat doesn't make its filters.  There are various sources, but Donaldson is the primary source of Cat filters.  Cummins does the Fleetguard thing (which has ties to Cummins) and many Fleetguard filters are sourced from Baldwin.  AC Delco does similar thing as these do.    If one sticks with a brand that is a primary source, say Wix, Donaldson, Baldwin, etc... they will have all the quality of a filter they will need.   My preference for my diesels is Donaldson for oil, fuel, and air filters but that doesn't mean there are not good ones from other sources.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Anthony Greco said:

Believe what you like.   Try running that explanation past the dealer of an engine that failed under warranty and see how far you get with little or no aggravation.   Enjoy your ride.  Cheers !!

Why make another account? If you don't have something relevant to post to the OP don't post it!

• 1 month later...

The Mobil 1 oil filter for the 2020 L5P is a  M1-210A     not a M1-201A     probably just a typo!!! 

Love the information guys keep it up. 

Anyone getting a noise in the rear end when slowing down? At about 35mph there is a noise from the rear similar to ABS locking and unlocking. Had this from day one. Dealership cant make the noise happen and as we know wont do it on command? 

ME: 2020   3500   Denali Crew Cab shot box. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 5:41 AM, Hilanderthe1 said:

The Mobil 1 oil filter for the 2020 L5P is a  M1-210A     not a M1-201A     probably just a typo!!! 

Love the information guys keep it up. 

Anyone getting a noise in the rear end when slowing down? At about 35mph there is a noise from the rear similar to ABS locking and unlocking. Had this from day one. Dealership cant make the noise happen and as we know wont do it on command? 

ME: 2020   3500   Denali Crew Cab shot box. 

Never heard of that or seen it with my truck.  Good luck finding answers!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2019 and I am bearly making 2,500 miles between oil changes. The dealership is saying it's due to me mostly doing city driving but it still seems a bit excessive. I am still under 7,000 miles and will be doing my third oil change this week. 

23 hours ago, AT4 HD Ron said:

That definitely seems odd.  Mine will go 7-8,000 between oil changes per the DIC percentage.

I agree and I feel like the DIC is having issues but the dealership keeps saying no. I don't drive crazy and my towing has been super light at best. 

6 hours ago, migrabill said:

Noob question here. Does the DIC know if you are using full synthetic and adjust accordingly?

No.

It assumes the oil used is one that meets the recommended specification in the manual.

The OLM does not detect/measure/sense the oil condition.

The OLM uses an algorithm that is base on how the oil/vehicle is used.  Starts, temperatures, power levels, miles, time, etc. etc. 

(which is the whole point of the OLM.  Different vehicle use results in different rates of oil degradation and/or contaminant accumulation - so different oil change intervals are appropriate)

Resetting without changing oil will result the same OLM recommendation for next change as using fresh oil.