In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2000 Silverado - Rear break burning?

I noticed today the right rear break had a burning smell coming from it when I shut down. I spit on the drum and was sizzling hot. Note, before I was barley using the breaks.. just cruising slow speed through the woods. 

Something in the rear is bad.. maybe a caliper is locked up?  any ideas? 

First, the rear has disk brakes for stopping, but a drum brake inside the rotor for the parking brake. Make sure parking brake was not engaged. Jack the truck up, leave it not running and shift into neutral....see if the left and right wheels spin with the same amount of force applied. If its harder to turn the right side, then barely push the piston back into the caliper just enough to free the pads. Check the resistance again. By the time you have gotten this far, you will know if its the parking brake or a caliper sticking.

Also, make sure you don't push a lot of old fluid back through the system, bad for the ABS module.

Edited by muddkatt

2 hours ago, GMC-AT said:

I noticed today the right rear break had a burning smell coming from it when I shut down. I spit on the drum and was sizzling hot. Note, before I was barley using the breaks.. just cruising slow speed through the woods. 

Something in the rear is bad.. maybe a caliper is locked up?  any ideas? 

On the 2000 Silverado and up to I think 2004 there was an issue with the rear calipers getting corroded and seizing.  This is do to the splash up from the front tires onto the rear calipers.  GM actually has a fix in that there is a kit to put up a guard in front of the rear tires to keep the crap off the calipers.

I can't find it in my email since it was so long ago.  I had to replace my caliper at 60k miles because of that.  Might want to PM   @MS3DALE he is the one that gave me the kit part number for the shield.