In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

carkhz316

Influx of potential bots and spammers

I check in every couple days and peruse the site. Has anyone noticed the rash of seemingly fake posters on here? The questions are rather straight-forward and typical specific truck problems, but the wording is odd (to me), and they are comprised of "new members" typically  (1-2 posts), and the user/ avatar info has a trend:

[First name] [Last Name}

1 post

Anybody else seeing this?

• Like 1

It happens from time to time.  Usually a rash of them then none for a while. These are harder to spot as spam.  Many will put some random link in their post so it is easy to sniff them out.

I have noticed it also. I have quit trying to answer their questions because when I was replying, they never came back to see any responses.

3 hours ago, muddkatt said:

I have noticed it also. I have quit trying to answer their questions because when I was replying, they never came back to see any responses.

Don't forget, we have many "one hit wonders", that will ask their question on several sites hoping for a quick response. They go back to the site that replies to their issue the quickest.

As Ryan mentioned, spammers can usually be spotted and dealt with, but some are subtle and can give themselves away after a few posts.

Watch out for PMs from new members too, perhaps wanting to sell you something. This happened yesterday to a member that was looking to buy something. IP address was in Asia

• Like 1

I'm not looking for any"thanks",if someone doesn't post back, oh well, the problem now is popup ads,taking a long load time when I'm mobile,and they show first instead of the reason for me being here

3 hours ago, riverbanks said:

I'm not looking for any"thanks",if someone doesn't post back, oh well, the problem now is popup ads,taking a long load time when I'm mobile,and they show first instead of the reason for me being here

You might post your issue in this section . There is already a post similar to yours. See if the Admins say anything

3 hours ago, riverbanks said:

Site takes a long time to load at home or on mobile even without ads :(