2020 3500HD with heavy duty front spring package?

I’ve got the 2500 with the heavy duty spring. Drove the Denali before buying my. It’s a little bit stiffer. Not bad though. I tow a lot so I wanted the extra payload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great discussion. I'm planning to purchase a 2020 GMC 3500 and am trying to decide if I should get the HD Front Springs - either as a separate option or with the Snowplow Prep. Package. We test drove one truck with the HD front springs and one without and felt the one with the HD springs had a little rougher ride so don't want to get the beefed up springs without understanding what the benefits are. I don't plan to use a snowplow so I'm trying to find what, if any, change they make in the hauling and towing specs. but haven't found that info. on either GMC's or Chevy's website. Thanks redwngr for the link to the chart showing the GVWR/FGAWR/RGAWR with the standard and HD springs. While the HD Front Springs increase the FGAWR, the GVWR didn't change, so based on that I don't see an advantage yet for my use in hauling and towing. Is there a similar chart showing the Payload, Max. Conventional Trailering, Max. 5th Wheel Trailering and GCWR Capacities for the standard and HD Front Springs? Thanks in advance for your help!

The plow prep package gives you quite a lot for small additional cost. It must be a popular package because many of the trucks I see on dealer lots have it.  I have it and can't judge how much stiffer the front suspension is but it's no worse than my 08 was without the plow package.  I drove a lot of trucks before buying this one.  The Ford and Ram HD's I drove were less comfortable that the Chevy.  I like having the larger alternator, skid plates and pass through hole into the cab from the engine bay.  In the end - it depends on what you're going to do with the truck.

Snow Plow Prep Package:
includes (KW5) 220-amp alternator, includes increased front GAWR on Heavy Duty models, (NZZ) skid plates (transfer case and oil pan), pass through dash grommet hole and roof emergency light provisions. Contact GM Upfitter Integration at www.gmupfitter.com for plow installation details and assistance (Requires 4WD model. Requires (CGN) Chevytec spray-on bedliner unless (ZW9) pickup bed delete is ordered. Upgradeable to (KHF) Dual alternators (220-amp primary, 170-amp auxiliary). Not available with (F60) Heavy Duty Front Spring Package.) Snow Plow Prep Package Power feed to accommodate a backup and roof emergency light1 A single 220-amp alternator Heavy-duty front springs Under body skid plates to help protect the transfer case from debris May require additional optional equipment

just another input for you - took delivery of a 3500 CCLB Diesel Z71 with HD Front springs 18" - and live 7 miles down a dirt road.  the front suspension is fine - a little firm but never jarring. 

the only adverse situation i'm experiencing is the unloaded (probably most of the reason) rear axle getting bouncy over closely spaced bumps/undulations and can cause some minor fishtail. after a couple trips i learned what upsets the truck and slow down a little bit more for the few sections that cause issue.

overall the ride is very good for a HD truck and much much better than the F250 I am coming from.  on rough pavement even with potholes (with in reason) it is extremely comfortable.

13 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

HD front springs does not the GVW or GCW.  It only raises the FGAWR.  The biggest thing it helps is for pickup campers.  The mass calculation can put you over FGAWR with a camper.  

#iworkforGM 

was wondering if you knew if the HD Front springs result in the front end being a bit higher/lifted compared to normal springs (everything else being equal)?    I took a few quick measurements and it seems like i'm ~1" lower in front (reading online more for other folks). 

was also wondering abut adjusting  torsion bars - service thinks they can get 1" more lift but they are small dealer and haven't done one on a new HD.  Do you think this will create any ride degradation or undue stress on other suspension components (1", stock suspension, 3500 HD Front springs)?   

appreciate your input.

Edited by MesaRat