In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Bilstein Front Shocks & Diff Drop

First off, man feels like forever since I've posted on here. Been busy with work and getting my K5 project moving. Well, still have my '14, its just under 105k and going strong.  However, with my construction site and recreational off-road uses it's becoming evident the factory (non Z71) shocks are going bad. The ride around town is getting terrible on bumps, pavement changes etc.  Feels like it crashes over bumps.  I've been reading through all the level kit threads and came to the below combo recipe. 

Ranch Hand bumper + Height adjustable Bilstein shocks + 1" Diff drop.  I currently have Air lift helper springs in the rear and LOVE them for towing to help mitigate squat.  So as the truck sits right now with no ranch hand I'd like a 1" lift in the front.  Put the ranch hand on and it will be more like needing a 1.5" lift to yield 1" I'm betting.  I'm a stickler for doing things right and keeping things as OEM as possible. So dropping the diff 1" makes sense to me.  Just wondering if anyone has a similar combo or if I'm way off track with this setup.  Thanks!

Edited by FL335i
First off, man feels like forever since I've posted on here. Been busy with work and getting my K5 project moving. Well, still have my '14, its just under 105k and going strong.  However, with my construction site and recreational off-road uses it's becoming evident the factory (non Z71) shocks are going bad. The ride around town is getting terrible on bumps, pavement changes etc.  Feels like it crashes over bumps.  I've been reading through all the level kit threads and came to the below combo recipe. 

Ranch Hand bumper + Height adjustable Bilstein shocks + 1" Diff drop.  I currently have Air lift helper springs in the rear and LOVE them for towing to help mitigate squat.  So as the truck sits right now with no ranch hand I'd like a 1" lift in the front.  Put the ranch hand on and it will be more like needing a 1.5" lift to yield 1" I'm betting.  I'm a stickler for doing things right and keeping things as OEM as possible. So dropping the diff 1" makes sense to me.  Just wondering if anyone has a similar combo or if I'm way off track with this setup.  Thanks!

No need to drop diff. I raised my truck 1.75” with 5100 3rd notch from bottom or 2nd notch from top. CV angles are just fine. Make sure you get a front end alignment when done.
  • Like 1