Tonnaue Cover Security on 2019 Silverado

Has anyone had any issues with people breaking into your backflip style covers on your trucks.

I was looking at the design and was thinking it would be pretty easy to jimmy one of these things, and then I found an old video that shows it done in about 30 seconds.

I'm wondering if there is a way to lock these down even further or block the cable access from the rear in some what to prevent the use of a coat hanger to open this thing.

2:06 in the video shows how quick it is to get in.

Any experices or thoughts!?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, OHDenali said:

It seems a little harder than if you had a cap/topper. At least you can't see the cable to pull. Or what in there to take.

My brother didn't notice the cable this weekend and the tailgate was down (undercover ultraflex).  If it concerns you that much add something rigid next to the cable so unless it is something with the dexterity of your fingers it will get caught on the rigid part.

I went with a hard folding tonneau, cable type, and it's really just to keep nosy folks out.  Might take 15-30 seconds to pry open, maybe less.  But it's still less discrete than a soft tonneau that just needs a razor blade or just walk up and pop it open like you own it.  I decided that was enough security, keeps things out of site, and prevent the theft of convenience.  

I did decide to stop storing all my gold bricks in the bed of the truck though, and instead used Mountain Boys recommendation to keep at least 1 alligator in the bed.  Main reason I got the std. bed and not the short bed...bigger gators.

• Like 2

A locked door can be opened in under 10 seconds and any tonneau cover opened in under 5 seconds. Locks only keep honest people out. 

I like the suggestion above to keep an alligator under the cover, and maybe add a pitbull in the cab. Or you could add an alarm to the cover. 

• Like 1

Park next to a soft top Jeep. My neighbor in college had his cut open for $3 change in the cupholder, threw his $2,000 worth of textbooks into the neighbors yard instead of selling them... 

Thieves are dumb, and if you're the lucky target there is not much you can do. Well I guess you American's can shoot thieves, so there is that.

• Thanks 1

I love the idea about the gator in the back!

So I went to the Gator store and bought a trained attack gator that now lives in my truck bed.

I feel bad for anyone that wants to get in there now. He's pretty hungry!!8b23c8fd0181c25a2fca1aa3aa26f9b1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 10/21/2019 at 7:29 AM, Smoothbassman said:

Has anyone had any issues with people breaking into your backflip style covers on your trucks.

I was looking at the design and was thinking it would be pretty easy to jimmy one of these things, and then I found an old video that shows it done in about 30 seconds.

I'm wondering if there is a way to lock these down even further or block the cable access from the rear in some what to prevent the use of a coat hanger to open this thing.

2:06 in the video shows how quick it is to get in.

Any experices or thoughts!?

One of the reasons I went with a rollup this time.

i have a bakflip. went with that on my new truck vs the roll soft cover i had on my 2015. got it cause liked the function. felt it was slightly more secure then the soft cover. mainly i feel that criminals look for convenience. the unlocked bike, the opened window, unlocked car...open truck bed. Im fully aware that anyone can pry that cover open but not something i worry or dwell on daily.  

The Bakflip cable lock style uses plastic latches to hold each panel down. A good tug on the cover and you would just break off the latches. I have thought about screwing a piece of metal over the back side of the wire for those few times on vacation where the back of the truck has valuables in it at rest stops and such. My cover leaks so bad I'm more worried about water damage than theft.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk