6.6 Gas Tows 16K Review Video

my 6.0 downshifts at the drop of a hat, and it gets on my nerves.  Speed limit goes from 55 to 65 and i give just the slightest bit of gas and I'm downshifting and screaming at 4000 rpm.  I wish it would just lug for a second and pull up in the same gear.  

With about a week of driving my new 6.6 gas truck it does exactly that.  It won't downshift unless you really get into it.  But, this truck also has way more low RPM torque than my 6.0 does.  It almost feels similar to my old 3.5L ecoboost f150 in that regard.  Slow to downshift on acceleration at speed.  It just lugs and pulls up with low rev torque.  But, the flip side to that is when I put 15k pounds behind it I will need it to downshift.   

Is there not a tow/haul icon on the cluster anymore?  Or did that guy just not use it?  Interesting that his old 6.0 overheated doing the same thing though.

*edit*

Is the tow/haul icon the trailer next to the D on the bottom of the DIC?

Edited by Chevyguy85

On 10/25/2019 at 12:53 PM, Chevyguy85 said:

Is there not a tow/haul icon on the cluster anymore?  Or did that guy just not use it?  Interesting that his old 6.0 overheated doing the same thing though.

*edit*

Is the tow/haul icon the trailer next to the D on the bottom of the DIC?

Yes the tow/haul icon is the trailer next to the D.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I know of no one with any experience, even a little, who would lug a gas engine like tfl does at times, in their videos. I understand why they do it but it does not reflect reality nor adequately represent the vehicles capabilities. All it demonstrates is the lack of programming sophistication by a manufacturer. Or better still what their priorities where when programming. 

My 600hp Kenworth will pull down to 30mph and drop 8 gears up a normal long pull in Ontario, never mind a mountain. Does not mean it doesn't pull strong. A couple dropped gears at 20mph under the limit can still be considered amazing towing abilities (when your not needing pusher trucks). The fact that a gas powered 3/4t is rated to tow 16,000 on flat ground is nothing short of astounding, the fact that it CAN do it up a mountain means the truck pulls great. Would it be better with 4.10's? Sure, but its not like it is a bad towing truck. Most "towing" guys here seem to think if you drop one gear and lose 10mph on a pull you need a Duramax. Well these people have never towed a real load with a real truck and don't understand basic physics.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Most "towing" guys here seem to think if you drop one gear and lose 10mph on a pull you need a Duramax. Well these people have never towed a real load with a real truck and don't understand basic physics.  

No doubt the current gas motors are strong and serve a purpose for many...very good motors.

Not sure how to define a "towing" guy but for me I simply prefer the diesel when I do.  Yes it costs more, yes there might be more maintenance all of which I'm aware of,  I accept that for the towing experience the Duramax package provides.  No physics needed for me other than seat of the pants feel.  I would say a 'real' load for me driving an HD pickup (not semi truck) is anything a 1500 can't safely tow.

Edited by CRApex

6 hours ago, CRApex said:

No doubt the current gas motors are strong and serve a purpose for many...very good motors.

Not sure how to define a "towing" guy but for me I simply prefer the diesel when I do.  Yes it costs more, yes there might be more maintenance all of which I'm aware of,  I accept that for the towing experience the Duramax package provides.  No physics needed for me other than seat of the pants feel.  I would say a 'real' load for me driving an HD pickup (not semi truck) is anything a 1500 can't safely tow.

For sure, no denying diesel is better that is a given. Just stating that people think their truck tows poorly because they cant maintain 75mph up a 13% grade in double overdrive. Which, if you have a real load on, not many trucks out there can do that, 1/2 ton, 6L, Dmax, Kenworth. The amount of people that sell their half ton and buy a Denali Duramax to pull their new 4,500# fishing boat would blow your mind. I hear/see a lot of "Truck didn't have enough power to tow." well, it does, more than enough, you just don't have any experience towing so you didn't know any better, that or more money than brains. The point of my post is not to say gas trucks are just as good, it was to highlight that people often go overkill when they don't need to, not fully understanding the physics of towing a load that outweighs the tow vehicle. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

For sure, no denying diesel is better that is a given. Just stating that people think their truck tows poorly because they cant maintain 75mph up a 13% grade in double overdrive. Which, if you have a real load on, not many trucks out there can do that, 1/2 ton, 6L, Dmax, Kenworth. The amount of people that sell their half ton and buy a Denali Duramax to pull their new 4,500# fishing boat would blow your mind. I hear/see a lot of "Truck didn't have enough power to tow." well, it does, more than enough, you just don't have any experience towing so you didn't know any better, that or more money than brains. The point of my post is not to say gas trucks are just as good, it was to highlight that people often go overkill when they don't need to, not fully understanding the physics of towing a load that outweighs the tow vehicle. 

Got it, that makes sense and I agree.  I read your point wrong, been one of those days..

This engine is pretty conservatively tuned to keep the relability on par with the engine it replaced.  There are situations where the transmission could downshift but it may stay in current gear to keep engine oil and coolant temps in check.  You can push it a little harder by downshifting manually but eventually the engine will start pulling spark.  I think most people use to driving gas trucks will be happy with this engine.

#iworkforGM 

• Like 1