It's October 2019 and rumors are swirling around a potential General Motors Electric Pickup, code named "Project O"

We just covered this news here: https://www.gm-trucks.com/your-first-electric-pickup-may-be-a-hummer/

We've created this forum as a place to discuss these future electric vehicles and the news around their development in the leadup to 2021. 

• Zane pinned this topic
  • 9 months later...

Cool, nice, I love Electric... with a twist.  Ditch the doggone battery.  As long they come with one, I keep my Liquid Fuel vehicles.

Here is how to look at it....

Betteries are NOT Fuel Tanks, they are more like Compressed Air Tanks.  Imagine that you have a Compressed Air Tank driving an Air Motor, like an Air Drill.  Each time you open the valve to drive the motor, pressure is realeased.  The pressure never comes back up, eventually, you will have some pressure left but not enough power to move anything.

A Fuel Tank, does not matter, full or a dab, the motor still puts out the same power.

So... when electric vehicles pull the energy like Nikola Tesla wanted to do, wirelessly, sure, I will be the 1st one at the dealer.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yes and no - an EV is still going to put out max power while there is enough charge in the battery. Most (like my Leaf for example) build in redundancy systems to keep you going - basically you're never really at 100%, there is always a bit extra for when you get low. Some vehicles (like my Leaf and i3 for example) do have a "turtle" mode for when you get VERY low so that you can hopefully limp your way home. So in that scenario, you would see a loss of power, but it's only because it's built into the system. The solution is to keep enough juice in your EV like you do your gas vehicles. Charge times then become the issue, but those are getting much better too. 

I’m tempted by the new Hummer EV, but I have a Silverado, a C7 corvette, and two Harleys. So I think I’m pretty well covered vehicle wise. And GM being A-holes when it comes to fixing design defects out of warranty makes me worry about an electric car I can’t fix myself

Look at the A8 transmission and Truck AC condensers for instance

Edited by awright2009
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well we just lived through a 2 week stretch of double minus celcius cold here in Western Canada.

It was common for Tesla drivers to be seen in snowmobile suits driving there cars. 

Better work on a better heating system Elon!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
30 minutes ago, customboss said:

GM Delivers EV That Others Have Problems Bringing to Market

https://stocks.apple.com/APzHfj4l4RyK98wYFmFSb6A

Interesting.  We can do so much more here if we wanted to.  The thing is, time, it takes that to build the infrastructure and such. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Interesting.  We can do so much more here if we wanted to.  The thing is, time, it takes that to build the infrastructure and such. 

FEDEX and UPS will use these to lower costs bigly.  Any urban area with set routes in set times are perfect for electric delivery vehicles.  

Transport is a mix and needs to be a healthy mix.  Just like energy, we should not be dependent on any ONE source of energy or you get 1971, 73, and now again! 

Seems US never learns to get off being dependent on oil. We need oil but we don't need to be dependent on it. Heck the oil companies cut refining so much that they are showing right now with the price issues how patriotic they are by not increasing refining. More profit selling it unrefined to high payers dependent on our oil while US consumers blame politics for it. 

• Like 1

• Zane unpinned this topic