New 6.6 gas

Here’s a really cool truck by Ford, offering a lot more options for those interested in heavy duty with awesome off-roading abilities the 2500’s without having to upscale their purchase to get the all new 7.3

Sent from Above

23 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

No disrespect, Cowpie, your truck isn’t worth that much, try closer to $20K.

Check 2015 2500HD 6.0 LT Z71 Extended cab, snow plow prep with heated power seats, bed liner and full running boards.  I just looked it up in NADA and it shows clean trade in of $29,175.  I paid $38K for the truck in 2015.  A $9K loss in 5 years.  Even the sub par value is over $26K.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2015/Chevrolet/Silverado-2500-HD-V8/Extended-Cab-LT-4WD/Values

I took the very same specs and only added the 6.6 Dmax to the pickup and the clean trade in value is $35,175.   Only $6K more value than my 2500 6.0.  But I am willing to bet that just about everyone had to pay more than $44K for one, which is $6K more than I paid for my 2500 6.0.

Clean retail of my 2500 6.0 is $33,625, under $5K difference than what i paid for it new.   The Dmax version of the same pickup has a clean retail of $40,075.  Again, that is probably a tighter spread than what one paid new for these vehicles. If anyone pays more than that for the pickup, well... one cannot fix stupid.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Thanks 1

In the event that the link above doesn't work, I took a snap of it and here it is. First snap is the value of my 2015 2500 6.0 and the second is the very same spec's with the Dmax.  No way of getting around it..... the Dmax doesn't retain the same value spread used as it had when new.  Therefore, the Dmax loses a higher percentage of value than the gasser.  Torpedos the idea that diesels retain more of their value over time than the gasser.  At the very best, all the Dmax version does is lose no more value than the gasser. But it sure doesn't retain more value, except among those who can be fooled into thinking it is so.

2015 2500 Gas Value.jpg

2015 2500 Dmax Value.jpg

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

Having just shopped a ton of used trucks....these HD gas and diesel all hold their value really well.

I drove a Somewhat beat up 2016 3500 with 30kmi, gas and cloth seats, and dealer is asking 37,000.  Mechanically it was outstanding.  Average in my area for a several year old gas pickup with low miles is almost all in the mid 30's.   Luxury trim diesels going for low 40's.

premium of 5-6k for used diesel over gas sounds right.   You cant go wrong either way for resale as long as you keep it clean!

I drove a 2011 diesel under 100kmi but it drove like a clown car....listed for $30k. ?

10,000 is steep.    I really considered getting a work truck trim with diesel but because I don't need it at all and my family really liked the upgraded interior of the gas truck trim we could afford.

We do several 14 hour ish drive trips a year amongst our smaller 2-4 hour trips.   Its the difference of riding business class vs coach.  On a short trip nobody cares, but those super long trips you will pay every dime to get some comfort to make the trip less miserable or even enjoyable

• Like 1

Let's hope regarding a 10 speed.  the 6.6 L8T actually straddles the performance difference between the Ford's 6.2 and 7.3.  The 6.2 is along the Boss / Coyote overhead cam lineup that delivers its best performance at higher RPM's.  The new 7.3 gasser is a good low to medium RPM push rod torque machine.  A 10 speed and going back to 4.10 (or at least an option) would be a great step in the right direction with the 6.6 L8T, even for the average user. 

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 10:37 PM, Cowpie said:

That gets thrown around pretty loosely.  I did a check of values of 5 year old pickups via the NADA guide which is the dealer standard, and what I found was telling.  While the diesels still had a higher value than the gassers just as they did when initially bought, when you compare it to the initial cost of the vehicles, the gassers actually retained more trade in value.  The gassers lost less percentage of initial value than the diesels did.  

I did a check of my 2015 2500HD 6.0.  I paid $38K for it brand new.  NADA shows trade in value of $29,050...  a $9K loss.  The very same spec'd 2500HD LT Double cab, Z71, standard bed, snow plow prep, bed liner, and full Raptor running boards with the 6.6 Dmax and same odometer miles has a trade in value of $35,050... only $6K better trade in value, yet a Dmax version of the very same pickup truck costs more than the $6K spread in initial price.    That is unless one could have bought a similar spec'd brand new Dmax pickup for no more than $44K in 2015.  Pretty rare occurrence of that.  Thus, the diesel actually lost a higher percentage of value.

But the "diesel holds more of its value" mantra is as Joseph Goebbels of Nazi Germany said... "if you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will come to believe it".

They believe it  (at least truck values of gas vs. diesel)because for the most part its true.  I ran the numbers just now (NADA) and what I paid for my 2017 Duramax, it still holds more trade value than if I would have had a gas motor.

• Like 1

I will admit, the NADA is regional. And also, how well a vehicle holds its value is also dependent on what packages the vehicle had to begin with.  But as I posted from the NADA guide on my 2015 2500, there is no "holding more value" for a diesel than a gasser.    In that posting from the NADA guide, the diesel version had a $6K higher used value, but it is more than likely that when it was new, it was selling for more than $6K higher than the gasser.  So in essence, it lost more of its value than the gasser did.  At best, it might hold the same percentage of its original price value as the gasser.   

Edited by Cowpie

Here is the images from a search on NADA for 2017 2500 in both gas and diesel.  The same thing applies as did in my previous post.  There is a $6K spread between gas and diesel used values just like the 2015.  I purposely kept the package options low to not skew the results.  Now, if one actually pays more for a diesel version than the NADA guide shows, well that is on them.  They have no one to blame but themselves.  And of course, there is that outside chance a dealer might give more than NADA trade it value on the trade, but it is likely they are not coming off MSRP very much for the new vehicle.  So they are getting their money one way or the other.

And for the person who is trading in the diesel, if they paid more than $6K higher price initially than a comparable gas version, then they are losing more value than with the gasser.  The only way a diesel version can hold more value is if the the initial purchase price was less than $6K more than the gasser.   And I have never seen that.

Of course, there is always the useful idiot who will pay more than NADA guide price... those folks that get all gooey inside over the mere mention of the word "diesel" and will pay any price to get their hands on one.    But it is a very rare instance where a dealer will give more than NADA value on the trade.  Only instance would be if they are soaking the consumer on the new vehicle purchase price.  Most dealers are not rip off artists, but they are smart business people.

2017 2500 Gas.jpg

2017 2500 Dmax.jpg

Edited by Cowpie