On an AT4, is Driver Alert/Sunroof/Technology Package worth ~ $5500?

I’m wanting to know from someone who owns an AT4 if they enjoy having these extras on their truck. I’m considering getting an AT4 without them  and saving $5,500. What are y’alls opinions?

Edited by M R Trucks

Yes! I love my sunroof and I really enjoy the HUD on the tech package way not than I thought I would.

The lane keep assist is annoying and I could do without it but the forward collision alert is really nice. I also like the blind spot monitors a lot. There's some big blind spots on these trucks...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm picking up my AT4 in 9 hours. When I test drove it, for a first time HUD user, it felt a bit odd and in the way but I didn't adjust it at all and know that the navigation turn and information projection information will help. As for that camera mirror, TOTALLY NECESSARY. The field of view on that thing is crazy and I don't see myself using the normal mirror when I pick up the truck. You can turn off the mirror camera and go back to a normal mirror but the mirror can't see anything right on your bumper with the 2 inch factory lift. Another technology / driver alert package item I love in the 2020's (not available on 2019 GMCs) is the cargo bed camera. I'm going to utilize that a lot. My AT4 has a sunroof and I'm so happy because my 2017 doesn't and I miss having one. For me all the technology is perfect and the driver alert packages both level I and II are necessary. Just keep in mind with the safety driver vibration modules in the seats they can be a bit stiffer and it also is that way because of the addition of A/C in the seats.

Keep in mind, I'm 25 years old, I worked hard to get this truck and I love all things technology so I am a bit biased.

• Like 1

Mine is fully loaded and i love it. I had a 2016 Ram 1500 with a sunroof then i guess you can say, down graded to a 2019 ram 1500 which didnt have a sun roof. Really missed it and ended up hating the 2019 ram since it had 5 seperate issues in 3 months so i got my AT4 with the sun roof and love it.  The hud is awesome and probably my favourite feature on the truck. Lane assist is only good for long drives and helping you stay on the road if you start falling asleep. It's dangerous as ****ing hell in the winter, as i learned with it in my wife's equinox when she first bought it.

One of the benefits of the AT4 is the technology options.  The rearview camera and the all-around camera view is probably my favorite item.  It certainly makes parking the beast simple.  No blind spots, and you know exactly how close you can get to a wall or another car.  Not having to fix the truck, or worse, another car certainly makes it worth it.  And if you plan to go off-road, you need the camera views.  

I also like the HUD display more than I thought I would.  I can take or leave the sunroof.  I'm tall, and would prefer the extra headroom, but dealers around here always order them when they add the extras.

The lane assist is actually helpful, and the warning of a collision is helpful.  Did you know the seat vibrates to alert you - the left side vibrates if you are close to hitting something on the left, same on the right.  Both go off if you are backing into something or if thinks you will hit something.  

Overall, I love it and love what it provides.  The big downside of course is when the technology items start having issues...  

Well took delivery today. Already had to decide to replace the FM antenna because it won't fit in the garage. The cameras are amazingly helpful, especially on the mirrors as I used them to see if the truck would be a tight fit in the garage. The camera mirror is TOTALLY worth it. On the way from the dealership I turned on the adaptive cruise control and someone cut me off while cruising and it did brake and drop the speed from 55 to 48 and saved me from the idiot. The HUD is something to get used to but can be turned off, but I like it. The lane keep assist works well on the small Rhode Island roads but heard you should turn it off in the winter. I'll keep updating as time goes on.

I have a 19 LTZ with tech/sunroof/sfty 2 (or whatever it's called) and honestly I wouldn't have a truck without it.  The 360 camera is great.  Don't use the rearview mirror camera because my eyes struggle focusing from distance out the windshield to close video on the mirror.  The regular mirror I don't have that problem.  But yeah, no way I'd want one of these w/o the tech.

Over all the tech, camera, safety packages are very good to have.  Worth is up to the individual.  The AT4 does not come with adaptive cruise so forward collision alert is less effective.  The HUD is a little weird at first, but very handy.  I do not care for sunroofs, but that is what many truck get ordered with.  Blind spot alert is just another useful tool.  The cameras are great for many reasons.  The HD camera rearview mirror is great at night.  The seat buzzer i find is less annoying the chimes and bells.

I am installing the (overly pricey) rear trailer camera on my camper to be able to better protect my stuff from the crappy Colorado drivers.

None of these things replace driving well, just more tools to keep these very expensive truck looking good.

AF1EB66A-9261-4898-9363-F87F57B0F08C_1_105_c.jpeg

3 hours ago, TripDad said:

The AT4 does not come with adaptive cruise so forward collision alert is less effective. 

I assume you mean for the 2500 & 3500? My 2020 Sierra 1500 AT4 has adaptive cruise. Did they not put it into the 2500s?

I got my AT4 today and drove it the 270 miles back home. What a sweet truck! I ended up getting one with the technology package/ driver alert/ and sunroof. The 6.2 with the performance exhaust sounds great and is very responsive. Now I’ve got to figure out how to add the tires and leveling kit that I want and still be able to park the thing in my garage. 

I’m also thankful for all of the good advice that I have gotten from this forum. I bought it his truck from a dealership that I didn’t even know existed a week and a half ago.

0E6C684E-6CBD-401D-A107-6D1536B13698.jpeg

Edited by M R Trucks
  • Like 3

On 10/24/2019 at 9:13 AM, TripDad said:

The AT4 does not come with adaptive cruise so forward collision alert is less effective.  T

On 10/24/2019 at 12:37 PM, FknLeon said:

I assume you mean for the 2500 & 3500? My 2020 Sierra 1500 AT4 has adaptive cruise. Did they not put it into the 2500s?

On 2020 1500, adaptive cruise is currently available on SLT, AT4 and Denali. 

On HD pickups, adaptive cruise is not currently available on any trim.

3 hours ago, redwngr said:

On 2020 1500, adaptive cruise is currently available on SLT, AT4 and Denali. 

On HD pickups, adaptive cruise is not currently available on any trim.

Dang that's a shame. The trucks are beautiful, if I ever had a reason to buy one I would deck it out.

8 hours ago, FknLeon said:

Dang that's a shame. The trucks are beautiful, if I ever had a reason to buy one I would deck it out.

1500's got it the 2nd year they were out, maybe it will be the same with the HD's  -- or at least the 2500's.

1500 SUV's have had it for longer than the pickups and their change hasn't happened yet.  Of course if it's creature comforts that we're after the SUV's generally have more.