In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

BF Goodrich AT KO2 vs Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

Looking at new tires for my AT4.  On all my past trucks have always gone the KO2 and love them.  Saw the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac on a trailboss the other day and really liked the looks.  Wondering if anyone has tried them and what their thought was.  The KO2 has always been amazing and does great in the snow.  Any thoughts would be great.  Thanks

Duratracs are very capable in all conditions. Tjey also last a long time.

They get very loud as they wear though- that’s the only reason I got rid of mine at 70,000 miles and went BFG. BFG ‘s are quiet and capable but not as good in the rain. 

I have just shy of 20,000 miles on my Duratracs. No issues so far aside from the noise. Not too loud but they hum pretty good at low speeds in town. I spend a lot of time on the highway and they're not bad. They are great on wet pavement as well as snow. 

• Like 1

Anyone experience a lot of vibration from the KO2 or is it just me? Or is it the natural of beefy tires on a 1500. I bought my truck with 27k miles and have a bad vibration between 40-70 mph. My mechanic said it’s the weight and density of the tire. I’ve only heard great things about the KO2, but the vibration I have is annoying. 

• 1 month later...

No experience with the Duratracs but I’m currently running BFG KO2s and am quite happy with them.  First time I’ve had them on any of my vehicles.

They have about 13,000 km on them and they’re fantastic in the heavy rain.  Haven’t tried them in the snow yet and so far they’re wearing nicely.  I run mine at 42 PSI.

The KO2’s come with either the 3peak mountain snowflake symbol or they’re labeled DT and don’t have the mountain symbol.  The DT’s are supposed to last longer but aren’t snow rated.

I have the mountain symbol on mine but thinking I’d like to get dedicated winter tires as well.  Thinking about trying the DT tires after I wear through this set.

Anyone have experience with the DT KO2’s?

ive had really bad luck with Goodyear in past (2 times) and never with BFG....its that simple for me

doesn't mean Goodyear is bad, heck lots praise em

its just not gonna happen to me 3 times with same brand, period

so BFG it is, 90k miles i got on my last set

1 hour ago, Dunn said:

ive had really bad luck with Goodyear in past (2 times) and never with BFG....its that simple for me

doesn't mean Goodyear is bad, heck lots praise em

its just not gonna happen to me 3 times with same brand, period

so BFG it is, 90k miles i got on my last set

That’s some good wear for sure.

Guessing they’re the KO2’s?

Some have been saying that the newer KO2’s don’t last. 
I’m confident that it’s due to the fact they now have the mountain peak snow rating symbol, meaning softer rubber compound.

There’s also the KO2’s that are labeled “DT” meaning different tread that are supposed to last longer, but don’t carry the mountain symbol.

Vancouver (BC) had a monsoon Thursday afternoon and there were literally ponds in the middle of the freeway.  I plowed right through them without hydroplaning at all.

LT 275/65R20 KO2’s with the 3 peak mountain symbol.  13,000 km.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, madconcept said:

Vancouver (BC) had a monsoon Thursday afternoon and there were literally ponds in the middle of the freeway.  I plowed right through them without hydroplaning at all.

My experience as well with them.  

18 minutes ago, madconcept said:

That’s some good wear for sure.

Guessing they’re the KO2’s?

Some have been saying that the newer KO2’s don’t last. 
I’m confident that it’s due to the fact they now have the mountain peak snow rating symbol, meaning softer rubber compound.

There’s also the KO2’s that are labeled “DT” meaning different tread that are supposed to last longer, but don’t carry the mountain symbol.

either ko or ko2 I don't remember, it was back in 2006 so whatever the model was back then, unbelievable tire!.....my neighbor has newer version and seems they are wearing about same, he has had em for 3 yrs I believe or more and still look new almost...he doesn't daily drive but takes it on long trips quite a bit towing and hauling constantly on ram 2500 diesel.....I would get another set, even if they lasted 50k id be happy, softer rubber means better grip and smoother [email protected] 90k mine were beyond toast, but they still worked.....50-60k is more than acceptable anything after is pure gravy......also I live in so cal so they only saw dirt roads on weekends and DD on freeways in mild climate all year.....in north or east coast I wouldn't imagine be same

I bought 2 sets of Goodyear wranglers and both failed immediately (again quite awhile ago) so left bad taste in my mouth, not about to go for a 3 peat, lol....doesn't mean Goodyears are bad, I just had bad experience.....also my other neighbor had issues with em recently but it wasn't duratrac...was an A/T though....and was Goodyear as well

Edited by Dunn

I'm happy with the Duratrac's on my truck.  They work fine for me.  In the winter, they were prone to getting stuck, but IMHO that's more vehicle-specific, as the truck is a dually with an open diff, so one side would spin for a moment and polish the spot, and then it's stuck.  Once I upgraded the truck to 4wd, it hasn't got stuck again.

The rear's I bought new, the front I have off a parts truck (they are from a 2500, so they are the same diameter, just a little wider, so they can't be used in the rear without a spacer).  One of the fronts has a big cut in the sidewall, but hasn't been a problem in the 3 years or so it's been on there...

Edited by davester

I have put a lot of miles on both KO2’s and Duratracs and I like both of them. Both were excellent. For me it came down to which suited the truck better - this time I felt duratracs looked better. 0dd670379df13fbae3ec590d9e672d07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

duratracs have more rounded look wile KO2 are more square....I think chevy nailed the body styling but missed on proportion, if that makes sense...still haven't seen one that I am like "DAMN"....of course am hoping mine will be "the one" when finished but probably look just like everyone elses….I love front end of these trucks!....best looking front end by far imo