In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Headlights too bright?

Never expected this thread to get so involved. So many posts demonstrate the young and carefree/careless attitudes I think we all grew through to some extent. Some were obviously an attempt to increase 'post count' for some, and nothing more. Some were very accurate in demonstrating just how careful we all should be when we make changes from original designs.

I'm kinda from the school of hard knocks (and years of experience) in that as I was growing up I had to learn to fix or pay to have fixed anything I tore up, so I tended to mostly always be a little on the conservative side (not always, but mostly). Now, I wrote that last sentence simply to explain why back then I wouldn't have ever thought about changing the headlights in anything I owned. Well, and also because we didn't have the opportunities or availability of aftermarket parts like today. Everything back then was 'sealed beam' and only required replacement if they burned out or got very dim. I've always assumed/presumed that those who designed the various parts and fitments on things as big an investment as a car/truck were probably much smarter than me, and had likely put the right amount of lighting (at least from what was available then) for the application. However, if I had ever changed out something as important as headlights by type, and knowing how detrimental improperly adjusted headlights were to me and others on the road, I would have used every means possible to ensure they were right.

I've read in this thread some who were not even aware they need to be aimed slightly to the right as well as down, some who thought only the left needed any adjustment, and that's scary if in fact that's the true belief of the poster/posters, and that rule applies whether using new, high tech adjusting equipment or the ol' school "level driveway/perpendicular wall" method. Admittedly I don't have a clue all about the differences between HID, halogen, projectors, reflectors and all the other things regarding headlights that I've read about on this thread so I'm going to back out of it here. I'll just say if I've insulted or offended anyone here regarding these lighting changes, I apologize. That was never my intent.

And I must admit, I never realized just how prevalent this 'change out' must be among today's owners and drivers, although I do know I see more 'out of adjustment' lights than I care to these days. I'll also say that I bought my 2014 1500 slightly used back in 2015, so I can't say whether my lights have been changed or are OEM, but I can say I've not been flashed even once since I've owned it, loaded or not. I have to assume if they ever have been changed, they did a really good and proper job. And that if they haven't, then the factory must have done it right.

Frankly, I wouldn't know what to look for in determining what kind they are, but I'll say they are more than adequate, and I can't imagine why anyone would feel the need for more. In all the vehicles I've owned over many years these headlights are among the best I've ever had. So, in that light (no pun intended) I'll leave well enough alone and just enjoy my truck as it is. Oh yeh, and don't need it lifted either. But to all those who feel they need to do something, go for it. I'll support you doing it all the way.

Regards,

jumpinjoe

Anytime I drive at night I typically keep my fingers on the high beam toggle due to being flashed so often.  Gotta hit them back on a second’s notice.  The LED’s are bright as hell.

And yes...I’ve checked the aim and they are not too high.  I’m not going to aim them down below spec and degrade my visibility just because other people’s eyes are sensitive.

Never expected this thread to get so involved. So many posts demonstrate the young and carefree/careless attitudes I think we all grew through to some extent. Some were obviously an attempt to increase 'post count' for some, and nothing more. Some were very accurate in demonstrating just how careful we all should be when we make changes from original designs.

I'm kinda from the school of hard knocks (and years of experience) in that as I was growing up I had to learn to fix or pay to have fixed anything I tore up, so I tended to mostly always be a little on the conservative side (not always, but mostly). Now, I wrote that last sentence simply to explain why back then I wouldn't have ever thought about changing the headlights in anything I owned. Well, and also because we didn't have the opportunities or availability of aftermarket parts like today. Everything back then was 'sealed beam' and only required replacement if they burned out or got very dim. I've always assumed/presumed that those who designed the various parts and fitments on things as big an investment as a car/truck were probably much smarter than me, and had likely put the right amount of lighting (at least from what was available then) for the application. However, if I had ever changed out something as important as headlights by type, and knowing how detrimental improperly adjusted headlights were to me and others on the road, I would have used every means possible to ensure they were right.

I've read in this thread some who were not even aware they need to be aimed slightly to the right as well as down, some who thought only the left needed any adjustment, and that's scary if in fact that's the true belief of the poster/posters, and that rule applies whether using new, high tech adjusting equipment or the ol' school "level driveway/perpendicular wall" method. Admittedly I don't have a clue all about the differences between HID, halogen, projectors, reflectors and all the other things regarding headlights that I've read about on this thread so I'm going to back out of it here. I'll just say if I've insulted or offended anyone here regarding these lighting changes, I apologize. That was never my intent.

And I must admit, I never realized just how prevalent this 'change out' must be among today's owners and drivers, although I do know I see more 'out of adjustment' lights than I care to these days. I'll also say that I bought my 2014 1500 slightly used back in 2015, so I can't say whether my lights have been changed or are OEM, but I can say I've not been flashed even once since I've owned it, loaded or not. I have to assume if they ever have been changed, they did a really good and proper job. And that if they haven't, then the factory must have done it right.

Frankly, I wouldn't know what to look for in determining what kind they are, but I'll say they are more than adequate, and I can't imagine why anyone would feel the need for more. In all the vehicles I've owned over many years these headlights are among the best I've ever had. So, in that light (no pun intended) I'll leave well enough alone and just enjoy my truck as it is. Oh yeh, and don't need it lifted either. But to all those who feel they need to do something, go for it. I'll support you doing it all the way.

Regards,
jumpinjoe
Is your 14 a Silverado or Sierra? I can tell you that the headlights on my 14 Sierra were flat out the worst headlights I've had in a vehicle. That's why in 15 they made HID standard on all trim levels and then introduced LED in 16.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, BringTheRain403 said:

Is your 14 a Silverado or Sierra? I can tell you that the headlights on my 14 Sierra were flat out the worst headlights I've had in a vehicle. That's why in 15 they made HID standard on all trim levels and then introduced LED in 16.

Silverado 2LT. What would describe them assuming they're OEM? Are they identified on the RPO sticker?

Thanks,

jumpinjoe

Out of pure curiosity, can someone explain to me just what the differences between the different type of lights currently available are? What the difference in costs might be and what all is involved in the change out IE: wiring harness change/housing change/fuse upgrades/etc?  And your best guess as to why, if there are better options available don't they put them in as OEM.

I know that's a pretty heavy request, but it sure would put this "old farts" mind to rest. "Curiosity killed the cat", and sometimes it's pretty damned hard on me too! ? Rather than take up time and/or space here, if you'd prefer just email me. ([email protected])

Thanks and regards,

jumpinjoe

Out of pure curiosity, can someone explain to me just what the differences between the different type of lights currently available are? What the difference in costs might be and what all is involved in the change out IE: wiring harness change/housing change/fuse upgrades/etc?  And your best guess as to why, if there are better options available don't they put them in as OEM.

I know that's a pretty heavy request, but it sure would put this "old farts" mind to rest. "Curiosity killed the cat", and sometimes it's pretty damned hard on me too! [emoji3] Rather than take up time and/or space here, if you'd prefer just email me. ([email protected])

Thanks and regards,
jumpinjoe
BTW, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I THINK 2015 GM trucks all had HID lights in them. So I'm guessing yours had HID headlights. 2016 they went to HID LED on the upper trims and regular HID on the other trims. But watch the video they do a really nice job explaining the difference.

Hey, thanks much BringTheRain403. Really good video except that now my interest has been piqued more than anticipated. Don't think I'll have any inclination to make any changes to my truck, but it is an interesting thought. And at least a couple points were made in the video that I think might have been missed by a few posters here ...... maybe not. But the relationship of different reflectors to the various type bulbs is interesting. It seems the main issue might have to do with quality of the bulbs in the retro kits, especially in the LED's.

And again, thanks. This video led me to several others, also really good and interesting.

Regards,

jumpinjoe

2 hours ago, BringTheRain403 said:

BTW, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I THINK 2015 GM trucks all had HID lights in them. So I'm guessing yours had HID headlights. 2016 they went to HID LED on the upper trims and regular HID on the other trims. But watch the video they do a really nice job explaining the difference.

Any way to tell from RPO sticker or build sheet as far as you know? I'll be looking at them tomorrow real close to see if I can tell.

jumpinjoe

Any way to tell from RPO sticker or build sheet as far as you know? I'll be looking at them tomorrow real close to see if I can tell.

jumpinjoe

I'll see what I can find. I can't remember what year it was they made a huge deal about HID lights being standard on all trim levels. It was either 15 or 16...

16 minutes ago, BringTheRain403 said:

I'll see what I can find. I can't remember what year it was they made a huge deal about HID lights being standard on all trim levels. It was either 15 or 16...

Are you referring to the Silverado or the Sierra by those years because mine is a Silverado, but it's a 2014.

I have put together some real hi-tech drawings to illustrate the phenomenon for those who do not understand the angles of the road vs. the cut off line. This is why we get flashed more often than not, not because your cut off is set too high, but the approaching vehicle finds themselves under your cut off line until the angles of the road bring them down again. Australia is working on new laws to have these headlights self level so they don't blind people coming over a hill. 

1.png

Untitled.png

• Haha 1