This truck should not be used to carry a Slide In Camper.

Took the family camping over the weekend using the In-Laws camper trailer and we had a blast.  I feel the truck did a good job but I certainly felt the weight being towed while traveling 70mph on the interstate.  Gas mileage was not good 8/9MPG.  

My question:  The trailer I pulled was about 27ft, tip2tail with a GVWR of 7600lbs.  It does not have a slide In/Out. However,  I'm curious why our trucks (maybe just mine) has sticker in the glove box indicating not to tow a camper with a "Slide In"?  Is it because of weight or balancing concerns?  Does anyone here tow a camper with a Slide In/Out feature?   We are contemplating getting a trailer and would like to know the thoughts of the folks here regarding campers with Slide Ins.  Would it be safe to pull one as long as total load doesn't exceed the towing capacity?  Does everyone that owns a 5.3L 4x4 have this sticker in the glove box?  

Thanks ALL

I've added some pictures below.  

Slide out trailer.JPG

camper.JPG

gmc2.JPG

Capture.JPG

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BrianBrianBrian said:

My question:  The trailer I pulled was about 27ft, tip2tail with a GVWR of 7600lbs.  It does not have a slide In/Out. However,  I'm curious why our trucks (maybe just mine) has sticker in the glove box indicating not to tow a camper with a "Slide In"?

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that the "slide in camper" they are referring to is the kind that you literally slide into the back of your truck bed.

97 Ford-Elkhorn camper.jpg

Edited by xSHIFTxNASTYx
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Take a good look at the picture of that 1/2 ton Ford xShift posted,  that's why you need at least a 3/4 ton p/u to haul a slide in camper around. Or 2500, 250, HD, or SD, whatever terminology you prefer. I understand the OP's confusion, years ago, slide-in campers were just referred to as campers, TT's were just that, but since campers popularity has waned over the years (probably due to shorter beds) TT owners have copped the camper moniker.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, xSHIFTxNASTYx said:

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that the "slide in camper" they are referring to is the kind that you literally slide into the back of your truck bed.

97 Ford-Elkhorn camper.jpg

Came to post this.  Well done

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garagerog said:

Take a good look at the picture of that 1/2 ton Ford xShift posted,  that's why you need at least a 3/4 ton p/u to haul a slide in camper around. Or 2500, 250, HD, or SD, whatever terminology you prefer. I understand the OP's confusion, years ago, slide-in campers were just referred to as campers, TT's were just that, but since campers popularity has waned over the years (probably due to shorter beds) TT owners have copped the camper moniker.

It makes total sense now.  It was certain confusion on my part.  Honestly, I never knew those things were called "Slide Ins" but rather "Truck campers".  You're right, with all the verbiage and cross use of the words "camper", Camper Trailer, RV, Toy Hauler, ...ect  it has been a little confusing. 

1 hour ago, BrianBrianBrian said:

Took the family camping over the weekend using the In-Laws camper trailer and we had a blast.  I feel the truck did a good job but I certainly felt the weight being towed while traveling 70mph on the interstate.  Gas mileage was not good 8/9MPG.  

Your truck will have no difficulty with the travel trailer you describe. (even if it had a slide! ? )  Your gas mileage will improve if you slow down.  I pull a 7K trailer with my '15 V6 and the mpg difference between 60 & 70 mph is substantial.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Your truck will have no difficulty with the travel trailer you describe. (even if it had a slide! ? )  Your gas mileage will improve if you slow down.  I pull a 7K trailer with my '15 V6 and the mpg difference between 60 & 70 mph is substantial.

Yeah, 70 was the max.  It was much better at 60.  The difference, like you said, was huge.  1st time, I'm learning.  Thanks

Airbags should help and level you out.  I find the Z71 suspension a bit soft in the back when towing, especially coming from my previous truck (2nd gen Escalade EXT).  I tow a boat not a trailer, but have enough lead in the nose that the tongue weight is pretty decent.

As for mileage/power, only so much you can ask of the 5.3.  A good tune would help in power (especially if you have, or add, a flex fuel sensor and run E85), but you won't impact fuel mileage greatly.  Even running 92-93 octane would help you stock a bit.

• 2 years later...

I got a good one for you guys. I have a 2022 Chevy 3500hd Duramax crew cab long bed with the that sticker. It specifically states " this truck should not be used to carry a slide in camper" Payload is 4199 on the truck. What's the deal??

14 hours ago, K-C said:

I got a good one for you guys. I have a 2022 Chevy 3500hd Duramax crew cab long bed with the that sticker. It specifically states " this truck should not be used to carry a slide in camper" Payload is 4199 on the truck. What's the deal??

Is yours a SRW or DRW? I have a 2015 3500HD Dirtymax CC long bed and my sticker gives certain specs i need to stay within. It might be if yours is a SRW it might not have the stability to safely carry one. It could also be what material your bed is made out of. The material might have a weak spot or two that keeps you from putting weight on the sides of the bed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 11:21 AM, bwlaqua said:

Is yours a SRW or DRW? I have a 2015 3500HD Dirtymax CC long bed and my sticker gives certain specs i need to stay within. It might be if yours is a SRW it might not have the stability to safely carry one. It could also be what material your bed is made out of. The material might have a weak spot or two that keeps you from putting weight on the sides of the bed.

It is a single rear wheel. Wouldn't that mean any single rear wheeled truck shouldn't carry a slide in camper? I've contacted quite a few people about this and everyone says that sticker is a mistake.

IMG_20220430_191352313~2.jpg