Transmission filter change on 2016 Suburban

Let me just say what a major PITA it was to get the pan off.  I did the jack up transmission/pull down on the exhaust with no luck.  I had to take the exhaust down from the manifolds to get enough room to get the pan off.  Glad I added a drain plug and will not be messing with it for the next 100k miles.  Which by the way my wife drives will be in 4yrs.   I decided to do it now at 54k to get the wear in materials out of the transmission and original filter that might have caught most of it. 

I got another stock pan and welded in a drain plug.  I guesses at the location of the drain and it worked out perfectly.

Transmissionpan3.jpg

Transmissionpanremoved.jpg

Transmissonpan2.jpg

Transmission pan.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Very nice.  Is there no special procedure for filling?  I was reading a General Motors TSB earlier today about the necessity of a particular fluid exchange machine for a fluid flush.  I know that there are PLENTY of modern cars that require a special method of checking the transmission fluid level and/or filling.

Heck, I watched a video from an automotive school about checking the fluid temperature on a Chrysler 300.  It involved being in a very precise transmission fluid temperature range, and seeing if fluid seeped out of this upper hole or not.  I think the instructor ended up having to do the test three separate times to get it right!

Edited by BlaineBug

• 2 weeks later...

It will never hurt to change the fluid early.  I am very accustomed to "red" transmission fluid.  At 35,000 miles, my 2019's fluid doesn't look entirely "red" and that concerns me.

From what I have researched and also confirms what you have to say, it appears that a real idiot engineer decided to put that exhaust right there under the transmission pan.

With any "used" vehicle it isn't a bad idea to start with fresh fluids.  Then you can document the date and mileage and go from there.

How did I miss this thread?

:shakehead:

At a boy Nick! 

11 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

It will never hurt to change the fluid early.  I am very accustomed to "red" transmission fluid.  At 35,000 miles, my 2019's fluid doesn't look entirely "red" and that concerns me.

It should. 

:thumbs: