RUST!? Interior Seat Frames - 2017 GMC Sierra

Hey guys! 

2 year old truck here. Bought brand new with 7 miles two years ago today actually. My wife dropped something under her seat last night and I had to get it out and noticed TONS of surface rust already!? The truck has never been wet inside, ever. I have the all weather floor mats and I've never left the windows cracked/down or even left a door open. What gives?

I live in TN and it's only been thru two very mild winters so far. I have power/heated/cooled seats if it matters...

Does anyone else have this rust present as well? Is this actually normal!? Let me know what you think.

-Lee

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

Edited by wlezel

I hope that is not one of the drawbacks on the heated and cooled seats. We rented a Tahoe and I really liked the cooled seats. Maybe it is caused by the cooled air depositing moisture as it moves through the seat. Just a swag.

My 2014 has heated seats but I have never looked under for this. Maybe I should.

Edited by Eddie 70

Wow, that sucks. I just checked my 2017 (Silverado) and there is not one speck of any rust. I wonder what could have caused that, especially seeing that you bought it new. Oh, BTW, I have only heated seats, no cooling if that matters

20191027_132842.jpg

20191027_132859.jpg

20191027_132947.jpg

Edited by Flameout

Thanks for the pics, keep em coming guys and state if you have cooled/heated seats. I'm pretty anxious to check out my co-workers 2016 Sierra tomorrow. It's identical to mine spec wise, just one year older.

@Flameout it looks like your last pic has quite a bit of the same type surface rust top right corner and back left area. It's blurry because it wasn't the focal point in the pic. Also your middle pic looks like it too on far left bracket. It's hard to notice during the daytime, gotta shine some bright light right on it.

@Eddie 70 Yes please do look! I'd love to see some pics. 

Edited by wlezel

29 minutes ago, wlezel said:

Thanks for the pics, keep em coming guys and state if you have cooled/heated seats. I'm pretty anxious to check out my co-workers 2016 Sierra tomorrow. It's identical to mine spec wise, just one year older.

@Flameout it looks like your last pic has quite a bit of the same type surface rust top right corner and back left area. It's blurry because it wasn't the focal point in the pic. Also your middle pic looks like it too on far left bracket. It's hard to notice during the daytime, gotta shine some bright light right on it.

Yes, now that you mention it, I do have a little rust. Appears it's on a weld and in another photo, it looks like something scratched the metal and there is now a band of rust. I giess I was a bit premature saying I didn't have rust

41 minutes ago, wlezel said:

Mine looks very similar to @Flameout . Mine is a 2014 with power and heat only. Very minimal rust but it looks like a lot more dust!! When

seat bottom.jpg

Very strange and unacceptable.  I'd go to my dealer and ask for their assistance.  If they suggest this is normal, ask to see another truck with similar rust.  I can't imagine your dealer/GM not helping you clean up this mess!  Keep us posted.

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Be prepared for a shoulder shrug followed by a blank stare.

I agree and these gestures were taught in Service Advisor school to be used instead of gasping loudly or uttering expressions like "holy sh*t"!   My thoughts are the service advisor may try to blame Op for somehow allowing the seat to become saturated with water or other liquid and then dried. I think this rust issue is bizarre enough that they will make it right without too much hassle.  At my dealership, I would expect a few chuckles from the service department while still following proper protocols.   However, I am known at my dealership and I would probably start the discussion with my service advisor by asking if she has ever read Rusty Bedsprings  by I.P. Nightly?

@2016 Sierra Owner Not that i'm aware of! But heck who knows? I just got to work this morning and checked out my co-workers 2016 model. Same *exact* truck as mine, same trim and features, just one year older and a different color. 

Guess what? his looks pretty much as bad as mine.

He could care less, but I was dying to know myself. Wild... pretty frustrating to say the least. I'm a bit worried dealer will just tell me "Oh that's normal" but that is such BS. I'm scared to see what it'll look like in another 2 years... heck 5 years.

@bkesting You're probably right. Has to be humidity... 

Edited by wlezel

I am in a wintery climate with tons of salt, none of my K2's or even GMT9's look like that yet. Looks like they just did a piss poor job of prepping that bracket before whatever minimalistic coating is on them. Much like the rusty Rancho's, they just had some surface rust on that piece of steel when it went into the stamp and did not correct it before coating, now it is shining through. The Rancho shock tubes most likely weren't prepped/had surface rust on them before painting so it just falls off 6 months later. I would try to get the replaced under B2B if you have any left, or through the Symtech interior/paint warranty if you bought that. Some K2 guys with certain tonneau covers report when parked down hill it will cause rain to enter the vent on the back of the cab and soak the carpet. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain