PaxPower’s Chevrolet Silverado Jackal

Interesting that they got extra HP from using GM's cat back and CAI and a tune,  What I want to know is what tune?  Since these can't be tuned yet.  Here is a quote from the article.

" In stock form, the L87 produces 420 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque, but the Jackal upgrades output to 442 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of torque thanks to genuine GM Performance parts like a new cold-air intake, dual-exhaust, and ECU tune, all of which keep the engine under warranty. "

Interesting that they got extra HP from using GM's cat back and CAI and a tune,  What I want to know is what tune?  Since these can't be tuned yet.  Here is a quote from the article.

" In stock form, the L87 produces 420 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque, but the Jackal upgrades output to 442 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of torque thanks to genuine GM Performance parts like a new cold-air intake, dual-exhaust, and ECU tune, all of which keep the engine under warranty. "

GM Performance Cold-Air Intake includes an ECU calibration.

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/84789804.html

6 hours ago, 300 Blackout said:

GM Performance Cold-Air Intake includes an ECU calibration.

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/84789804.html

So if that is the case then everyone that installs the cat back and CAI from GM will get the same results.  If so then other CAI's will not see the gains since they don't have the re-calibration from GM for adding a CAI, right?  I just wish GM would let their vehicles open and let us do what we want to them in the tunning world.  As for warranty, OK just have us sign a waver saying we understand it will void the warranty.  Those that are willing to drop the warranty will get on board fast I'm sure.  All the years everyone has been tuning their vehicles I would think there isn't much evidence showing that the tune has caused any problems other than drinking more go go juice. It is probably more of an EPA/CAFA thing anyway.

So if that is the case then everyone that installs the cat back and CAI from GM will get the same results.  If so then other CAI's will not see the gains since they don't have the re-calibration from GM for adding a CAI, right?  I just wish GM would let their vehicles open and let us do what we want to them in the tunning world.  As for warranty, OK just have us sign a waver saying we understand it will void the warranty.  Those that are willing to drop the warranty will get on board fast I'm sure.  All the years everyone has been tuning their vehicles I would think there isn't much evidence showing that the tune has caused any problems other than drinking more go go juice. It is probably more of an EPA/CAFA thing anyway.

I can tell you from first hand experience that after messing with my tune and unwittingly putting the wrong numbers in just one box, I damn near blew up my trans and bounced the truck off the rev limiter repeatedly.

After significant time data logging and going through the steps of diagnosing the problem, I was certain it was a hardware issue so I priced out and began preparing for a trans rebuild. As a last ditch effort, I loaded a tune that was known to be good and wouldn’t you know it, my problems all went away.

You may be onto something regarding the emissions regulations driving the desire to lock everything up. Perhaps protecting intellectual property has something to do with it too.

As far as I can tell from the press release when Derive Systems (Bully Dog/SCT) got smoked by the EPA-DOJ last year, the only thing they did different than everyone else, is they advertised their product as being able to defeat/bypass emissions systems. The EPA hit them so hard, they had to reduce their fine because Derive proved they couldn’t pay it. Part of the agreement required Derive to eliminate any ability of their handheld tuners to cause a vehicle to come out of compliance with the Clean Air Act. This also included updating the software used by speed shops to create custom tunes for customers, so that the speed shops couldn’t cause a vehicle to come out of compliance via a custom tune even if they wanted to do so.

When I contacted an OEM supercharger supplier about turning off AFM in a vehicle
after installing their blower with their included calibration, they said they couldn’t make any changes whatsoever to the calibration since that’s what was certified as compliant. When I asked them to recommend a shop that literally could just go into the calibration and turn off AFM, they told me they couldn’t recommend anyone since that would be helping me to defeat an emissions controlled device.

I hate to say it, but the EPA-DOJ know that the only way to get some compliance is to pressure the supplier, not the consumer. They would quickly deplete their resources chasing all of the Joe Dirts roaming around. Also, nobody cares if Joe Dirt got fined two grand for emissions violations and the news wouldn’t cover the story.

Now, fine the supplier a million dollars based on what the customers do with their products and well, you’ll get a lot of news coverage, a lot of people taking about it and a supplier that won’t ever risk getting hit that hard again. Word spreads fast and suppliers who were never even mentioned or investigated will suddenly be making changes to assure their not the next news story.

All that said, I would like to know if the total sum of non-compliant vehicles would equal even one average sized factory that produces petroleum or coal based emissions. When I studied this years ago, the numbers weren’t even close. Industrial emissions DOMINATED emissions production exponentially compared to the small blip of automobiles.

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-and-doj-settle-derive-systems-over-vehicle-emissions-control-defeat-devices