Possible rear defog issue

Belo

This was the first morning I've had foggy windows since I bought my truck in July. Remote start (usually kicks on the defog), get in. Press rear window defog and in my 20 minute ride to work I never saw the tell tale stripes of the working defog appear. And this wasn't tough ice and snow, just heavy water vapor from overnight rain and a cool morning. I even turned it off and back on to be sure.

I'm going to give it another try on another day, but is there something I'm missing here before I look like an idiot in front of the dealer? Is this maybe a common issue for the 19's or isolated? I've been driving and defrosting for 20 years so I don't think i'm an idiot...

I don't have all the info but recently there was a recall or something like that that pulled the fuse for the rear defogger. Seems there were fires and/or rear windows exploding because of issues with the defogger. A search should give you a bit more information. Check to see if they did pull the fuse. Also check to see if there are any recalls for your vehicle.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

This was the first morning I've had foggy windows since I bought my truck in July. Remote start (usually kicks on the defog), get in. Press rear window defog and in my 20 minute ride to work I never saw the tell tale stripes of the working defog appear. And this wasn't tough ice and snow, just heavy water vapor from overnight rain and a cool morning. I even turned it off and back on to be sure.

I'm going to give it another try on another day, but is there something I'm missing here before I look like an idiot in front of the dealer? Is this maybe a common issue for the 19's or isolated? I've been driving and defrosting for 20 years so I don't think i'm an idiot...

53 minutes ago, rusty503 said:

I don't have all the info but recently there was a recall or something like that that pulled the fuse for the rear defogger. Seems there were fires and/or rear windows exploding because of issues with the defogger. A search should give you a bit more information. Check to see if they did pull the fuse. Also check to see if there are any recalls for your vehicle.

Recall was for the K'2's in Canada, did not apply to the US trucks.

Did your mirrors defrost, they are set up on the same switch.

19 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Recall was for the K'2's in Canada, did not apply to the US trucks.

Did your mirrors defrost, they are set up on the same switch.

not sure as they were't foggy. I'll check again soon as it's about to be november and hope it was a blip.

• 2 weeks later...

i got a 2015 LTZ and my rear defroster started smoking. Before  i could pull over my drivers side rear window section exploded and a flame was in my window channel. Scared the crap out of me. Im in the US, but i see canadian trucks have a recall but not the US trucks because of this issue. Im calling GM in the morning

• 4 weeks later...

So just a little update to this post. We've had a few more snows and this issue still sort of baffles me. Any ice and snow does seem to melt, but not at the rate I'm used to and I'm wondering if it's just the heat inside the cabin? It still will be foggy here and there and when you'd normally expect to see the lines slowly defogging I get these weird bubble patches and then yes eventually it defogs.

Any google search just floods with articles about the recall from the last gen. It's such a weird thing that I'm almost embarrassed to bring it up to the dealer. but in upstate ny, this feature is critical.