Rattle in the rear!

But in case anyone’s reads this thread looking for an answer, here are a few issues I found on the forum that cause a noise in the rear
1.) the headrests, pull them out and spread the prongs out just a little to snug up the fit

2.) Make sure your tire jack is secure 

3.) The seat belt covers in the c pillars are loose and can rattle

4.) And if your hearing a pop once in a while,  it’s your spoiler on the outside of your car

5.) lastly, check the chain linkage for the rear slider power wire. It presses up against the glass

Did you put something between it and the glass to help the noise?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

That would be the best idea (after taking it to the dealer) rather than having people on the internet all across the country with no access to your truck trying to diagnose it...

Tyler

Dealers are terrible at fixing squeaks and rattles.  I can not count how many times that  I have been told that they can not replicate the problem, not just on GM but all vehicles.  I have the same issue on my 2019 rear seat left side.  I will find it and fix it myself as so as I can.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tallspawn said:

Did you put something between it and the glass to help the noise?

I’m debating what to do, I have some 3m Tessa  tape I use for car audio installs that I think would work good. I’ll have to spend some time taking a better look to make sure whatever I do, do to it, does not cause any binding or issues

Edited by Memphis87
  • Like 3

I’m debating what to do, I have some 3m Tessa  tape I use for car audio installs that I think would work good. I’ll have to spend some time taking a better look to make sure whatever I do, do to it, does not cause any binding or issues
I'd be interested in what you do to fix it if you don't mind posting. Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Memphis87 said:

I cannot comment on the specifics if it would work but it looks like some tessa tape or even really thin window sealing would work. Just apply it to the glass and not the chain linkage for the wire harness and you should be fine. Double check that where that rests on the window does not get in the way of the travel on your window so you don't possibly rip the tape off and get it gummed up or jammed in the track.

1 hour ago, fatwhiteboy said:

Dealers are terrible at fixing squeaks and rattles.  I can not count how many times that  I have been told that they can not replicate the problem, not just on GM but all vehicles.  I have the same issue on my 2019 rear seat left side.  I will find it and fix it myself as so as I can.

If the dealer can not replicate the problem then offer to demonstrate.  If you and the dealer are unable to make it "act up" then at least it will be on record.  In the past I've had service advisors report that they were unable to replicate a problem but I can't ever recall being ignored on the second visit for the same issue!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

If the dealer can not replicate the problem then offer to demonstrate.  If you and the dealer are unable to make it "act up" then at least it will be on record.  In the past I've had service advisors report that they were unable to replicate a problem but I can't ever recall being ignored on the second visit for the same issue!  

If I had a second car And I wasn’t handy at removing car panels and etc from doing stereos I’d probably would take it to the dealership , but since I didn’t buy the vehicle from my local dealer, there about 50/50 on giving me a loaner sometimes. And I just can not run the risk of not getting my truck Back in time. I’m also scared of them touching anything on the inside lol. Maintenance I’m cool with, but I’ve heard horror stories off them just destroying panels either with scratches or leaving grease stains

2 hours ago, fatwhiteboy said:

While I was fixing the rear window rattle, I also noticed the metal tabs for the child restraints will rattle if there not pushed completely solid to the back. I shoved some foam on the front side of them to put pressure on them just now 

• Like 1

So glad I found this thread, this has been driving me crazy.

To summarize, it's not the jack and not the passenger seatbelt (in my case anyway). I also have a power sliding rear window so I suspect that's it.

Please post any solutions you come up with. I'm going to tackle this on the weekend if no one comes up with something. Not sure what yet :)

Remove the rear headrest and flip the seat in the up position. This fixed the noise for me, well, temporarily until i figure out the root cause. If you slap the back rest portion of the seat with some force ( seat down) i was able to duplicate the noise. I think it might be the vents that let air escape when the doors shut or the headrest, ill look at the chain to since that was mentioned earlier.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm inclined to think it's the cable housing rattling on the back window (like in the picture above). I think everything else that people are doing, like folding seats, having a passenger back there, or folding the headrests, is just changing the weight on the backrest and causing it not to rattle.

My plan is to wedge something small between the cable and the window. If that works I'll stick some velcro on the window (only the window, soft side) and hopefully that cures it.

If not, I'll really be stumped. I'll report back with results.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 6:47 PM, K J said:

I also have a noise like that in my  2019 High Country with 125 miles....

I wanted to stop and tear the truck apart! Thanks for the info. I will try the same thing.

Had a similar rattle, had kids in back seat one day. They both said it was there head rests. Took to dealer, getting recall stuff done too, they fixed the rattle said it was the seat back latches.