Fixed my lifter, questions still...

Hi all,

I have a stock 2011 GMC Sierra with the 5.3l It has 125,000 miles and a few months back I started occasionally getting an error about stabilitrak and such. As time passed it happened more and more and finally one day I had a lifter collapse. I managed to get it home and then searched here to find this is a common issue and the stability trac error is somehow tied to it? So I pulled the intake off and freed up the lifter. I then programmed out the AFM, started the truck and to my delight it stopped knocking and ran fine. 2 days have passed now but I still get the stabilitrak error. Did I miss a step? or is this another issue?
Also, my oil pressure is not very stable (it wasnt before the lifter issue either), it will drop and hangout around the first notch left of center and then slowly come back to center. It has a fresh oil change and filter plus I replaced the small filter on the oil pressure sensor.

Ideas?

thanks

Edited by AmDD

I would hook up a mechanical gauge and check oil pressures. While it is good you free'd up the lifter it was stuck and could have free'd up some space for oil to flow causing a lower oil pressure. AFM is very picky about oil pressure and if not maintained it will fail lifters.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:01 AM, AmDD said:

Hi all,

I have a stock 2011 GMC Sierra with the 5.3l It has 125,000 miles and a few months back I started occasionally getting an error about stabilitrak and such. As time passed it happened more and more and finally one day I had a lifter collapse. I managed to get it home and then searched here to find this is a common issue and the stability trac error is somehow tied to it? So I pulled the intake off and freed up the lifter. I then programmed out the AFM, started the truck and to my delight it stopped knocking and ran fine. 2 days have passed now but I still get the stabilitrak error. Did I miss a step? or is this another issue?
Also, my oil pressure is not very stable (it wasnt before the lifter issue either), it will drop and hangout around the first notch left of center and then slowly come back to center. It has a fresh oil change and filter plus I replaced the small filter on the oil pressure sensor.

Ideas?

thanks

Your oil pump's pick up tube o-ring may need replacing.  Add an extra 2 quarts and idle the engine and watch the oil pressure.  If it comes back up, time to change the o-ring.  Fella on another forum was down on his luck with bad o-ring, drove his truck with the extra oil for over a year without problems.

• Like 1