In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Ok I have a 2000 gmc jimmy sle and my 4wd doesn’t work there is no light and also no sound when I click the button but it’s my dads old truck and now mine and he said the old owner melted the wiring harness but I have no idea where it is too fix it could someone help me please (I would only like to fix the 4wd wiring it’s the only thing I care about) 

Find one in a junkyard and take the harness out of it?  Or phone/email used part places?

And only the 4wd harness is melted?  That's...unusual.

As for finding the harness, it'll be the bundle of wires with connectors on the transfer case, and if it's similar to the full size trucks, goes to the front diff, and a plug in the fuse box in the engine compartment.  There may be a separate one, or it could continue on into the cab to connect to the electric buttons or a computer somewhere.

I would suggest getting a short term subscription to the full-service manual for your truck, it will have the wiring diagram for these systems, routing of the wiring harness, stuff like that.  places like alldatadiy.com, helminc.com and other sites....

Edited by davester

17 hours ago, davester said:

Find one in a junkyard and take the harness out of it?  Or phone/email used part places?

And only the 4wd harness is melted?  That's...unusual.

As for finding the harness, it'll be the bundle of wires with connectors on the transfer case, and if it's similar to the full size trucks, goes to the front diff, and a plug in the fuse box in the engine compartment.  There may be a separate one, or it could continue on into the cab to connect to the electric buttons or a computer somewhere.

I would suggest getting a short term subscription to the full-service manual for your truck, it will have the wiring diagram for these systems, routing of the wiring harness, stuff like that.  places like alldatadiy.com, helminc.com and other sites....

Well not only is it the 4wd melted another one is interior lights and idk what else is melted but I only want to fix 4wd wiring right now 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ABT15-1500
      whats good guys? so last weekend my 4wd in my 2017 1500 silverado got busted. Guys in the showroom said it overheated and stuff got busted in the transfer case. replaced the whole transfer case + actuator. Just got a phone call saying that 4wd button is not working and not switching from 2wd 4 hi and 4 lo. When it stopped working was stuck in nasty mud and really pushed the truck trying to get out, one of my buddies noticed that only the rear tires were moving and the truck was set to 4hi. tried turning the knob and nothing changed stayed on 4hi  and got a service 4wd message that. Now with the new transfer case and actuator guy at the dealership say still the issue is present car is not switching and the light is stuck on 4wd. note: not from the states and the guys at the dealership seem to know less than i do about cars. Can you guys point me in the right direction on what i should advise them to check? or what might be the issue ? where they should look? etc 

Thank you ! 
    • By no12nv
      i put my truck in 4 hi yesterday while on a service road. drove for bout 5 miles. stopped dis in gauged back to 2hi put in rev rolled back stopped. put in drive n drove away. now the dash 4wd light stays on for the most part . turns off sometimes when i turn right but generally just stays on. mine is a 2017 1500 wt. manual in gauge 4x4. it does go in an out of 4wd fine but the dash light doesnt and its annoying me ? any ideas what or were to look or start? i did go through a few large puddles so moisture may be my,an idea? or loose wire connection to a sensor? any and all help much appreciated. thanks
    • By Clutch Bo
      I have a 5.3 with the 6L80 in it and was hoping to swap over to a 6.2 but i can’t find much online about what i will need to replace, anything would help. I know i’ll need a new ECM and possibly a new flex plate but besides that i’m not sure. Thanks in advance!
    • By Steve Barragan
      I have a 1997 chevy suburban 4wd and while in 4wd it was making a loud clanging noise when accelerating in 4wd hi or 4wd lo. Anyways everything underneath was tight and no play. I couldn't figure it out. It has the dash 2wd 4wd hi and 4wd lo electric switch it wasn't flashing while in 4wd hi or low and you could hear an engagement sound when 4wd selected. I thought it maybe it was the front crown and pinion gear missing a tooth. I took it to the mechanic and it was the 4wd actuator! I guess it was gimped up and engaging and disengaging while in 4wd and making a horrible clanging noise. Anyways I replaced the actuator myself a few years ago (which was possibly the easiest repair ever) but the 4wd light was flashing and it wasn't engaging at that time. Anyways it cost me a fair bit more to have a mechanic diagnose and then replace the actuator but if it happens again I'll know what it is. Also I may be able to help someone else searching online for an answer. It's a fairly cheap fix to do yourself and super simple to do. About $60 from 1aauto! Hope this helps someone out.

• By Robert210
      Im currently thinking on which lift i wanna get im definitely going with a bds 4 inch lift kit On my 2018 1500 . But whats the difference in ride quality between the normal one Which includes a whole new strut between the more expensive one which has fox coilovers and shocks?? and have any of yall ran either one and how did it feel?? Also can i fit 22x12s in a 4 inch ???