Is using Ethanol Flex Fuel really that much better for our environment and is it the cause for higher farm goods food prices or are we all being brain washed???

TXGREEK

On stock truck it is all bs. Takes more volume of fuel to run. Can make more power in a custom tune setup maybe or not. Depends if fuel system is large enough. So on stock truck it is just a option. The best mpg is only half true. We see better mpg in cruise and long haul, city driving it is less.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1.) From a chemical balance and byproducts view point, that is the chemistry of it: Ethanol makes less CO2 per pound of fuel burned. Problem is it takes more pounds of fuel to equal the same BTU delivery. Net/net, Ethanol and it's blends have a larger carbon print than gasoline. They actually make more GROSS CO2 not less. 

2.) A barrel of crude delivers more than a barrel of products. It takes more than a barrel of ethanol to make a barrel of ethanol.

• Like 1

Factually speaking, Ethanol burns cleaner but provides reduced fuel economy, as said as Grumpy Bear said, so no net gains.

In my personal opinion, ethanol is just another way the government wastes our tax dollars on useless subsidies to promote items that normally would not thrive on the market. 

• Like 3

I use it every now and then since it's readily available in my area. My truck mostly sees highway miles, and the E85 isn't very cost effective (I think money-wise it comes out to about the same cost per mile as mid-grade) but I do believe my truck runs smoother on it. [emoji2369] I have nothing technical to back that up, just a subjective observation.

It's not gonna hurt a thing if your truck is a flex fuel model. Use it if you want to.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

FlexFuel cannot stand on its own without government intervention.  While it is around, I like using it when the price is right.  My stock motor loves it, makes more horsepower with it.  Mine gets slightly better MPGs with an alcohol content of between 16% and 22% compared with 93 octane gasoline.  These mixes cost less than 87 usually and deliver 91 to 96 octane rating.  Fun stuff, but the government should not be subsidizing it.  

The incentives for auto manufacturers have expired to my knowledge but the previous administration/congress then began subsidizing filling stations to carry it which continues to this day.

Edited by swathdiver
  • Like 2

FlexFuel cannot stand on its own without government intervention.  While it is around, I like using it when the price is right.  My stock motor loves it, makes more horsepower with it.  Mine gets slightly better MPGs with an alcohol content of between 16% and 22% compared with 93 octane gasoline.  These mixes cost less than 87 usually and deliver 91 to 96 octane rating.  Fun stuff, but the government should not be subsidizing it.  

The incentives for auto manufacturers have expired to my knowledge but the previous administration/congress then began subsidizing filling stations to carry it which continues to this day.

I’m guilty, just put in another 6 gallons in my tank, I’ve again started up on the Lucas fuel treatment too, just to keep a balance lol

Sent from Above
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Btw, E85 fuel I’m using is between 51%- 83% ethanol, forgot to take a pic, I’ll take a picture next time I’m filling up.

I've been missing the extra power and since I don't have long distance driving planned, might as well fill it with E85 next time around.  Fall/Winter seems to offer the best pricing.

• Like 1

I've been missing the extra power and since I don't have long distance driving planned, might as well fill it with E85 next time around.  Fall/Winter seems to offer the best pricing.

I believe it’s cheaper during cooler seasons due to its higher levels of H2O content which sets in when sitting fo long periods of time.

Sent from Above
  • Like 1