How many miles before your truck “Woke up”?

I guess I'm the odd ball out and mine has seemed great from the day I took it off the lot.  Like all my vehicles before I just drive my new ones like I drove the old one to the dealer to get traded in.  Never any issues.

So to answer your question so to speak, mine has had great power and performance from the beginning  I have not noticed it getting better as time/miles racked up.

Engine = Either it's "woke" or it ain't, from mile 1.  

Transmission = Takes a few months to 'learn' how you drive.  And maybe a few days to 'relearn' after a battery disconnect.  Unless you've got one of the not-so-good 8 speeds, then it tends to do whatever it wants whenever it wants.  

I bought my 2018 with 10K miles on it a few months ago..

it drove great from the beginning, but over the last several weeks, it's faster off the line (on the rare occasion that I punch it) and seems to nestle down into comfortable touring speed when Im on the highway..

very happy with it.. LT Z71 5.3flex

At my first oil change, I requested the dealer to update all computer controlled systems to the latest version.  One of those was the ECM.  Made all the difference in the world.  It was like a different truck!  

I really have been noticing my truck feels like it has a little more torque lately. Not a whole lot but noticeable. This started around 8,000 miles on the clock. It used to absolutely have to downshift to accelerate worth anything but now can pull gears without downshifting. I'm driving a 5.3L , 8-spd.

In 2012 I bought a brand new Denali with the 6.2. A buddy of mine had a 2010 Sierra with about 30k miles on it when I got it. He had a tune and a cat back exhaust on it. With about 500 miles on the 6.2 we decided to race the trucks. We ran about 10 times, went from a roll and dig multiple times. He was right next to me every race with me barely beating him by a half a truck or less. I was very surprised. Fast forward to about 6 months later I had around 8000 miles on my truck still completely stock, his truck was unchanged too, and we ran them again and I would beat him badly, the 6.2 would walk away from his truck until it would hit the speed limiter. I definitely think the truck “woke” up after a few thousand miles, only way I can explain it. I would not have believed that would happen if I didn’t experience it. 

• 1 month later...

Lol, this thread reminds me of owning a chainsaw. " lol, when did that big husky wake up"

I'll say this, mine has always been woke up it seems! She has always ran like a scalded dog. Now, she did get a bit smoother with miles, as she only had 10 miles when I got her.  

As in the chainsaw world, I think I might have what is referred to, as a "factory runner!"

In the chainsaw world, that means a saw that is just a little faster and stronger than the rest of the saws in its class. A rare phenomenon to be sure.  :)

• Haha 1

its rather straightforward. There is a lot more friction inside a new motor than an old one, not to mention the axles, transmission, differential, bearings, etc. As they say, an engine runs best the day before it dies. There is usually a point at which you "notice" the decrease in friction, for me typically around 10-12k miles. It's a nice feeling because you look back and remember what it felt like driving off the lot, and now it feels better. It's part of what creates a bond with a particular vehicle. If you've "broken it in" then I find it hard to let go of.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1