In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
adamjonesabm05

2017 Silverado 1500 Nothing but Issues

I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 that I bought in January of 2017 and has about 65,000 miles. I bought this truck to be a reliable vehicle that I could drive for at least 200,000 miles. Unfortunately, this truck has been a huge disappointment. I have always done all of the regular maintenance and am shocked that I am having any issues with such a new truck. I feel there is no excuse for a relatively new truck to have a check engine late come on intermittently. Side note all of my issues started at 61,000 miles (just 1,000 miles out of the extended warranty). The first problem was the Stabiltrak and power steering messages kept coming on at random. I took the truck into the dealership and they said it needed a new battery (after just 2.5 years) and somehow the sensors for the Stabiltrak were out of line. That was about $400 right outside of warranty, and then not even a week later the check engine light has started coming on. The truck is throwing code P2198 air to fuel bank 2 ratio. I checked the air intake box and the hose clamp securing the air box to the air intake was loose so i tightened it and the light went out (how the hose was loose right after leaving the dealership is a mystery to me). But now it throws the code causing the check engine light to come on every couple of weeks then I wait a day or two and it goes out. No adverse engine indications or anything out of the norm, until this morning. I started the truck and it ran very rough with high rpm and a message of truck running at reduced power came up. I shut it down and when I cranked it again it immediately ran normal (except check engine light on for P2198). I am very disappointed in the performance and even more so the service that my truck and the dealerships have showed me. I am at the end of knowing what to do with this thing and would like to know if anyone out there has some advice on any of the above information.

• Like 1

This is what you consider "nothing but issues?" 

While I can understand your are frustrated, I've heard many tales worse than this one. 

• Like 1

I know it's frustrating, but if that's all you've had, consider yourself fortunate--you got one of the good trucks.  If you feel the need, maybe try a different dealer's service department, one that has the personnel and the time to chase down the actual problem, if that's a possibility for you.  

You bought a used truck, who knows what it was previously subjected to. Could have been some rich kids truck who off roaded it and submerged it in mud regularly. Could have been modded fairly well then removed before being sold. Could have been a rare lemon that was returned or been subject to some type of storm or water damage. Honestly these trucks should be bullet proof, but there are rogue ones that are crawling with issues. It is built by humans and machines with thousands of parts. I would buy an extended warranty, those sporadic issues tell me something happened to the truck earlier in life. That or sell it, chasing electrical gremlins is a PITA...

Tyler

I bought the truck new. Drove it off the lot with 11 miles. 
I agree. New vehicle shouldnt have issues. That being said... Check the site and you'll see lifter failure and transmission shudder is more common then the issues you are experiencing. Could be worse. You could always write gm a review of your new truck.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

You’ve had the truck for nearly 3 years and have had a couple minor issues. The fuel trim code could be bad gas. I’ve only had one engine code on my 2016 and it was a lean fuel bank code when I had to put 2 gallons of cheap gas in my truck to make it back home. Battery life is variable also. Nearly 3 years out of one ain’t bad and yes some vehicles will toss out random error messages when the battery starts to go. Just ask me what kind of messages I get when the battery in my Saab starts to die lol

And that is how GM gets a bad rap?  LOL

Im with you OP, I traded mine in a few weeks ago.  

Vac pump, oil cooler lines leaking, and finally the transmission flutter / torque converter was enough to push me over the edge.  81K miles on my 17 when I traded it, I felt impeding disaster coming with it so I let it go.  I fully intended to keep it for a lot longer...it just was not refined and too many known issues, felt like I solved one and immediately hopped onto the next. (all out of warranty)

Edited by aaronarf

With the price tag of these trucks, you would hope that they would be a little more reliable. My previous two vehicles which I bought brand new, had a price tag less than I just paid for my used 2017 Silverado and I've never had any major problems with them. I purchased a bumper to bumper, 8 year 100,000 mile extended warranty when I bought my truck last month, only because of some of the problems I've been reading about. I hope I never have to use it, but if I do, I hope it's not a major pain in the @$$ gegetting it covered

6 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

but if that's all you've had, consider yourself fortunate--you got one of the good trucks.

That’s some bullshit right there

15 hours ago, Jacoby said:

That’s some bullshit right there

If you haven't been stranded by your truck, or haven't had to spend many thousands to repair faulty parts/engineering, then you are indeed blessed, and that's no BS.  How do you think the many new 2019 owners feel that have had to continue making new truck payments during the strike, but haven't been able to use their trucks the way they need to due to parts not being available?  Go read their posts on here.  

If the OP or others can't handle getting a couple of relatively minor error codes fixed, they need to quit being a snowflake and buy a Ram or Ford.  And then deal with their problems.  Or ride a bicycle.  Whoops, that could be problematic for those who need safe zones.  Better just walk.  Otherwise, don't come on here whining for sympathy for minor issues.  Those of us who have been through the wringer won't shed a single tear for you.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 3

OP you havnt even had the real issues yet. like your brakes not working, your transmission downshifting so hard it screeches the tires, and the good ol chevy shake

• Like 1

Lets not forget the vacuum pump failing and taking out the engine.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 hours ago, aaronarf said:

Im with you OP, I traded mine in a few weeks ago.  

Vac pump, oil cooler lines leaking, and finally the transmission flutter / torque converter was enough to push me over the edge.  81K miles on my 17 when I traded it, I felt impeding disaster coming with it so I let it go.  I fully intended to keep it for a lot longer...it just was not refined and too many known issues, felt like I solved one and immediately hopped onto the next. (all out of warranty)

Curious, what did you trade it in on?

How do you like your new ???