In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Time for new tires.......what brand? Going up a size....

So thankfully it's time to get rid of these gawd awful factory Goodyear "All Terrains".......might as well be using slicks.   Month or so ago I swore I found a thread or three about brands, handling in snow/rain.......but I must be having a moment and can't find them.

2015 DC Z71 LT w/ 44k on it.  My daily driver, but thankfully round trips to work is only 16 miles.  Not crazy highway miles, but do take 10-12 trips north every spring/summer/fall that amount to around 350 miles each trip.  Hardly ever pull a trailer.  Maybe a heavy load, short distance (less than 10 miles) 5-6 times a year.  Try to minimize how much I plow the drive and live in the country so I'd like something good for snow.  My trips up north do lead to two tracking through the National Forest, muddy, deep puddles, etc.

Read some on KO2's not being all that great in snow and rain.  Had Hankook Dynapros on my 99 Silverado and they seemed to do the job.  See lots of reference to Coopers, but don't they tend to be a bit noisy?  Seen reference to Falken Wildpeaks and Goodyear DuraTracks.  But I have a buddy that says his Duratracs wear fast.  But then again it's a Township work truck so it sees more action.

So I guess I am just looking at final thoughts based on the above usage.  Something a little more aggressive, but not mudders.  I would be jumping up to 275/65/18's (from 265/65/18's).    Probably someday do a partial level (leave a little rake), but never a lift.

Appreciate the input!

Edited by jimbofoxman

Toyo at2 would fit the bill along with plenty others. The Toyo has a 65k warranty, great traction and it's a very quiet all terrain tire. It will get you great all around traction. I've ran them on about 6 different vehicles and I've never been disappointed.

They're just one option among many though. You're gonna get 20 different recommendations from 20 different people. In the end you're gonna need to pick what you're gonna be happy with spending nearly a thousand dollars on.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jimbofoxman said:

So thankfully it's time to get rid of these gawd awful factory Goodyear "All Terrains".......might as well be using slicks.   Month or so ago I swore I found a thread or three about brands, handling in snow/rain.......but I must be having a moment and can't find them.

2015 DC Z71 LT w/ 44k on it.  My daily driver, but thankfully round trips to work is only 16 miles.  Not crazy highway miles, but do take 10-12 trips north every spring/summer/fall that amount to around 350 miles each trip.  Hardly ever pull a trailer.  Maybe a heavy load, short distance (less than 10 miles) 5-6 times a year.  Try to minimize how much I plow the drive and live in the country so I'd like something good for snow.  My trips up north do lead to two tracking through the National Forest, muddy, deep puddles, etc.

Read some on KO2's not being all that great in snow and rain.  Had Hankook Dynapros on my 99 Silverado and they seemed to do the job.  See lots of reference to Coopers, but don't they tend to be a bit noisy?  Seen reference to Falken Wildpeaks and Goodyear DuraTracks.  But I have a buddy that says his Duratracs wear fast.  But then again it's a Township work truck so it sees more action.

So I guess I am just looking at final thoughts based on the above usage.  Something a little more aggressive, but not mudders.  I would be jumping up to 275/65/18's (from 265/65/18's).    Probably someday do a partial level (leave a little rake), but never a lift.

Appreciate the input!

Falken Wildpeak AT3W, I've got 50k+ on my set and still best AT tire I've owned 

• Thanks 1

If you have time to do lots of research and sift through countless recommendations, you may find a tire buy that stands out.   When I was at my busiest, and in  an urgent need of tires, I took the advice of a colleague and went to Costco for a set of Michelins.  This was 20+ years ago and I continue this practice today.   The quality, price, customer support and warranty with Michelins from Costco takes the risk out of tire shopping!  I am not connected with either company  and I know neither are perfect.  However, tires are a major purchase and I'd rather play it safe and have no regrets!

• Thanks 1

I was in the same boat with the factory car tires on my All Terrain. Just got these a few weeks ago and love em. I considered Nitto Rdge Graps, toyo At2’s and Duratracs. But these won out on price and reviews of performance, and I didn’t want super aggressive either. (I stayed with stock size tho.)

Continental TerrainContact A/T
2eb29f267fac943f145570a35c236d6f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, slide187 said:

I was in the same boat with the factory car tires on my All Terrain. Just got these a few weeks ago and love em. I considered Nitto Rdge Graps, toyo At2’s and Duratracs. But these won out on price and reviews of performance, and I didn’t want super aggressive either. (I stayed with stock size tho.)

Continental TerrainContact A/T
2eb29f267fac943f145570a35c236d6f.jpg

This is exactly what I've been looking for.

Any feedback on how they ride, and how quiet they are? I do like 90% interstate driving, but ~10% off highway with semi-frequent (2-3 times a month) trips into deep mud/rutted trails (family farm, misc work), and need the traction off road. Would like to find something that is a good compromise there.

Bought my 2015 SLT+ with 36k, and hte previous owner (or dealership) swapped on a set of KO2's. They are loud, heavy, and ride like they're solid on the inside. The have excellent traction off road, and wear great though. At 86k now, and am sneaking up on needed a new set of tires. I've run continentals on every car and SUV I've owned for as long as I can remember. Even have a set on both of my bicycles. This is the first time I've looked for an AT style tire though.

• Like 1

I was planning the same thing you're planning. Once I did the research, saw the potential for issues with a level kit, factored in calibrating my speedometer/odometer, etc. I started thinking I'd stay stock size.

Then I found a deal for Sumitomo Encounter HT's, 265/65/18, for $94/each with free shipping from Walmart.com. Looked at them on Tire Rack, high ratings, sold. Yep, street tires on my Z71. Truck is 95% on the pavement, occasionally on dirt roads. Simply decided it wasn't worth it to me to change size or mess with the front end geometry.

Not saying street tires will work for you. I'm saying do your research and you will find a deal. Just takes time. 

And you'll get 100 different answers here. I suggest using Tire Rack's site to get a feel for what others think. Worked for me.

This is exactly what I've been looking for.

Any feedback on how they ride, and how quiet they are? I do like 90% interstate driving, but ~10% off highway with semi-frequent (2-3 times a month) trips into deep mud/rutted trails (family farm, misc work), and need the traction off road. Would like to find something that is a good compromise there.

Bought my 2015 SLT+ with 36k, and hte previous owner (or dealership) swapped on a set of KO2's. They are loud, heavy, and ride like they're solid on the inside. The have excellent traction off road, and wear great though. At 86k now, and am sneaking up on needed a new set of tires. I've run continentals on every car and SUV I've owned for as long as I can remember. Even have a set on both of my bicycles. This is the first time I've looked for an AT style tire though.

I think they ride GREAT! they balanced perfectly and even better than the crappy oems. Smooth ride, and Not loud at all. I didn’t want something that was as aggressive as the BFG’s or the Duratracs. They have been excellent in heavy rain. I have yet to run these in snow but the gravel and muddy grass I’ve been on they’ve been good. I don’t normally ever do deep mud or rutted roads so I can’t speak to that, but these are def not advertised as a mud tire. This is Continental’s first “A/T” tire but it’s been out a couple years now and has great reviews. Plus they have a nice thick rim guard which I like and I like the way they look on the truck.

• Thanks 1

I went with 1 size up (275/60-20) Cooper Discoverer ATP from Discount tire. Its all terrain but not nearly as heavy as the beefier tires out there, so better highway gas mileage. And a big plus is MADE IN THE USA, unlike the Wildpeak I was looking at prior. 

I've only got a couple thousand miles on them, but so far I really like them. 

Also, I should add ZERO rubbing with 275/60-20 on my 2018 Z71 with the front end 100% stock. 

Edited by rah7777777
  • Like 1

Sorry to say, depending on just how much off-roading you will be doing, you’re either going to have to chose between an MT or an AT. ALL AT tires will clog up in mud and spin worthless. MTs will eject the mud and grip over and over which will be a much better choice “IF” you’re in the mud but are louder and worse mpg’s than AT’s. You may be able to have the best of both worlds just not as great as either if you switch to a hybrid tire. As an example: Nitto Ridge Grapplers and Toyo RTs are pretty good in everything just not designed as one or the other. Another thing I love about my ridge grapplers is that they’re as loud and no worse than an AT. Snow? Zero experience in it with my Ridge Grapplers but I’ve heard great things about the Goodyear Duratracs and my experiences in snow were always with BFG KO’s and excellent traction with them.

Sent from Above

I went with 1 size up (275/60-20) Cooper Discoverer ATP from Discount tire. Its all terrain but not nearly as heavy as the beefier tires out there, so better highway gas mileage. And a big plus is MADE IN THE USA, unlike the Wildpeak I was looking at prior. 

I've only got a couple thousand miles on them, but so far I really like them. 

Also, I should add ZERO rubbing with 275/60-20 on my 2018 Z71 with the front end 100% stock. 

I’ve heard great reviews on them, great looking tires. 9fb35a28d12e10a344bfcd89dc3ea782.plist

Sent from Above

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going with the Wildpeak AT3W.   Was worried that going up a size would look odd, but only because of how side walls looked on the old Goodyear SRAs.  They bulged funny I thought.  But with these the look is awesome.  Fills the wells a lot better.  Bought my first truck in 99' and this will be the first time I've ever had non white raised letters...........but it looks good.  I'm impressed with them so far.   Grip is great on wet pavement and on that light fine slushy snow that you see at corners where the salts been working.   On those old crappy SRA any slight incline (1/2° or more) they would spin.  Those things were crap.  GM should be embarrassed for putting that crap on.  Road noise is a little more, but that's to be expected with a little more aggressive tire.

Overall...........Me Likey!  Just looks sooooo much better now!

• Like 2