Time for new tires.......what brand? Going up a size....

They do look good. And I hear pretty good things about them. And the past 2 trucks I’ve had I sort of prefer the black wall now. Never used to. Idk, maybe I’m old. [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loving this discussion!

I am looking at new wheel/tire combos right now trying to balance the looks, ride, road noise capabilities, etc.

Almost in the same boat as you, not a lot of miles every day (even less than you), trailer once in a blue moon, off road once in a great while.

I live in the pacific northwest so I need good rain and snow tires, but hate the boring look on the stock 18" Michelins: LT275/70R18. 

Trying to find the balance is pretty tricky.

Been checking Tire Rack and Costco for starters. The question is, do I go up to the 20's?  What are the pros and cons?

And what is the problem with going to a larger tire?  What does it affect and how hard is it to correct?

Thanks for the input, super helpful!

2500HD.jpg

I have been looking at new wheels as well, but honestly I really dont care for the black wheels with the red truck, that is about 90% of whats available, I guess I will keep my wheels (I actually like them) and just replace the rubber. Really leaning to the BFG A/Ts...

On 11/7/2019 at 7:14 AM, 2kwik4u said:

This is exactly what I've been looking for.

Any feedback on how they ride, and how quiet they are? I do like 90% interstate driving, but ~10% off highway with semi-frequent (2-3 times a month) trips into deep mud/rutted trails (family farm, misc work), and need the traction off road. Would like to find something that is a good compromise there.

Bought my 2015 SLT+ with 36k, and hte previous owner (or dealership) swapped on a set of KO2's. They are loud, heavy, and ride like they're solid on the inside. The have excellent traction off road, and wear great though. At 86k now, and am sneaking up on needed a new set of tires. I've run continentals on every car and SUV I've owned for as long as I can remember. Even have a set on both of my bicycles. This is the first time I've looked for an AT style tire though.

Awesome tires.  I've had mine about 9 months now.  They are just as quiet as the Goodyear's that the truck came with.  Handling is good too.  As good as it can be in a 6,000lb 4x4 truck anyway.  I had the Duratrac's on my 2017 2500.  They are MUCH louder and not nearly as good in wet conditions.  The Conti's are fantastic all around!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, paracutin said:

Awesome tires.  I've had mine about 9 months now.  They are just as quiet as the Goodyear's that the truck came with.  Handling is good too.  As good as it can be in a 6,000lb 4x4 truck anyway.  I had the Duratrac's on my 2017 2500.  They are MUCH louder and not nearly as good in wet conditions.  The Conti's are fantastic all around!

So what about going a little bit bigger than the stocks? There is so much open wheel well right now...

25 minutes ago, paracutin said:

Thanks for the great feedback. I appreciate the review.

I'm like 99% certain these will be my next tires. I'm completely over the harsh ride, loud noise, and lack of wet traction of the KO2's. They might be great tires, but they're clearly just not for me.

13 minutes ago, F15DOC said:

So what about going a little bit bigger than the stocks? There is so much open wheel well right now...

I'm curious about this as well. 

Currently running a 275/55/20, considering a 275/60/20. Not a huge jump by any measure, but just a shade more sidewall and height for clearing ruts. Noticed last week while cleaning that the bottom of my running boards have some significant scuffing on them. Guessing they're just off the ground on a well traveled farm path I frequent.

8 minutes ago, F15DOC said:

I went with the stock size.  265/65R18.  I like the way they look.  

Looks like they make a couple size combinations larger than stock for the 18" wheel.  If my metric to standard conversions are correct, none are more than .6" wider and .5" taller.  You shouldn't have any problems turning full lock.  Not sure how much better they will fill the wheel well though.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TerrainContact+A%2FT&partnum=665TR8TCAT&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2018&autoModel=Silverado 1500 4WD&autoModClar=Double Cab Max Trailering Pack

4 minutes ago, 2kwik4u said:

Thanks for the great feedback. I appreciate the review.

I'm like 99% certain these will be my next tires. I'm completely over the harsh ride, loud noise, and lack of wet traction of the KO2's. They might be great tires, but they're clearly just not for me.

Wait, you say the BF Goodrich T/A KO2s are NOT good in the rain? Tire Rack rates them and they are reviewed as very good rain tires?

1 minute ago, F15DOC said:

Wait, you say the BF Goodrich T/A KO2s are NOT good in the rain? Tire Rack rates them and they are reviewed as very good rain tires?

Correct. They blow goats for dollars in the rain. So much so that I won't let the wife drive the truck in the rain, and I won't drive it without AWD (Auto 4wd) engaged. The rear slides out entirely too easy, unplanned 4-wheel drifts on freeway onramps, and general lack of braking traction. Retrieving our boat in the summer requires 4wd if the ramp is even a little wet. They SUCK in the rain/wet. I have about 50k miles on them now. They were "not great" when new, and they have progressively gotten worse over time.

The grip like a scared cat on carpet in the dry, as well as in the mud. They're tough as nails off road in rocks and "heavy" gravel. A light drizzle is a white knuckle drive.

They're also ridiculously heavy, and absurdly loud. if I spent more than ~50% of my time off road, they would be a go to tire. Since I'm closer to 80-90% ON road, they don't work for me.

4 minutes ago, F15DOC said:

The KO2s and the Duratrac's are rated 8.7 and 8.6 respectively.  Pretty much equal.
The Conti's are rated 9.2.

I can only speak to the Duratrac and Conti's.  The Duratrac's may be very well rated but that was not my experience with them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2kwik4u said:

Correct. They blow goats for dollars in the rain. So much so that I won't let the wife drive the truck in the rain, and I won't drive it without AWD (Auto 4wd) engaged. The rear slides out entirely too easy, unplanned 4-wheel drifts on freeway onramps, and general lack of braking traction. Retrieving our boat in the summer requires 4wd if the ramp is even a little wet. They SUCK in the rain/wet. I have about 50k miles on them now. They were "not great" when new, and they have progressively gotten worse over time.

The grip like a scared cat on carpet in the dry, as well as in the mud. They're tough as nails off road in rocks and "heavy" gravel. A light drizzle is a white knuckle drive.

They're also ridiculously heavy, and absurdly loud. if I spent more than ~50% of my time off road, they would be a go to tire. Since I'm closer to 80-90% ON road, they don't work for me.

That's why I stayed away from the KO2s.  Kept reading they suck on the wet and I already had that on the factory SRAs.   It's been so nice over the past week to press the gas at a stop and not spin like I'm on ice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimbofoxman said:

That's why I stayed away from the KO2s.  Kept reading they suck on the wet and I already had that on the factory SRAs.   It's been so nice over the past week to press the gas at a stop and not spin like I'm on ice.

Who do I trust now?

That goes totally against everything I have read and other road reports and test results...

I live in rain country and want a tire that does a good job, TireRack gives it an 8.7 in the rain and you won't let your wife drive it in Rain?! Really? That much disparity?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO2&partnum=77R8KO2RWLV2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2020&autoModel=Silverado 2500 HD 4WD&autoModClar=Crew Cab#testResults

Screenshot (15).png

Edited by F15DOC