Time for new tires.......what brand? Going up a size....

But, Tirerack really liked the Conti...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TerrainContact+A%2FT&partnum=77SR8TCATOWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2020&autoModel=Silverado 2500 HD 4WD&autoModClar=Crew Cab#testResults

And youtubers really like those Falken AT3Ws, several guys saying they are the best they have used for an AT in rain and snow.... hmmm, maybe this is the one guys... nice aggressive looking tread vs the Conti's that really look like the stock tires, not much aggressive look to them which is probably why they are such good road tires...

Edited by F15DOC

I still have nothing bad to say about the conti’s and they look more A/T like irl than in photos. But to each their own. And I have yet to drive them in actual snow. But so far they’re excellent. I only know one guy with the falkens, but he loves them so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ sometimes it s a crap shoot. And sometimes ya get lucky. HHhaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/18/2019 at 1:20 PM, jimbofoxman said:

That's why I stayed away from the KO2s.  Kept reading they suck on the wet and I already had that on the factory SRAs.   It's been so nice over the past week to press the gas at a stop and not spin like I'm on ice.

It was raining here today, any time when its wet outside and I hit the gas at a stop which I agree the spinning is terrible. I have the Goodyear Wrangler Fortitudes HT's which were my stock tires, and they suck in wet weather. They are supposed to be an AT tire, but that is a joke.

For the original poster, I was one of the guys that started a thread about a month ago about tires. I haven't bought a new set yet, but with Black Friday here next week I might pull the trigger then since I also want a new set of wheels too.

I'm still debating between the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and the Falken Wildpeaks which looks nice too.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/229980-looking-for-new-tires-and-wheels-any-suggestions/?tab=comments#comment-2322434

On 11/18/2019 at 5:09 PM, F15DOC said:

Who do I trust now?

That goes totally against everything I have read and other road reports and test results...

I live in rain country and want a tire that does a good job, TireRack gives it an 8.7 in the rain and you won't let your wife drive it in Rain?! Really? That much disparity?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO2&partnum=77R8KO2RWLV2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2020&autoModel=Silverado 2500 HD 4WD&autoModClar=Crew Cab#testResults

Screenshot (15).png

This is a legit question, and a hard one to answer.

For me, I've got some personal experience at this point and a good friend that had similar reports. Those are corroborated with others here. I'm unsure how TireRack rates their tires. Are they from users, or are they from "new tire tests" against some baseline metric? Hard to say.

The KO2 traction in the mud, overall toughness, and look is superior. The remainder of the driving dynamics are not. Weight, stiffness, sound, and wet traction are all poor. IMO, unless you NEED the superior toughness the 10-ply sidewall provides (It doesn't add squat to towing capability IMO since almost all P-Rated tires in this size range will overload the axle before the tire), there are better All Terrain tires available.

With that said, I drank the "Bilstien 5100's are the best shocks ever" Kool-Aid, and am sadly disappointed in those.

Best advice I can give on this front.......The KO2's are REALLY popular tires. I would ask around to anyone in your area that you see at a gas station, grocery store, etc that has them and see what they say. Use in your market will be the best info you can get.

16 minutes ago, 2kwik4u said:

With that said, I drank the "Bilstien 5100's are the best shocks ever" Kool-Aid, and am sadly disappointed in those.

Did you end up going another direction then?  I saw some references to Eibach too.  Haven't take the plunge on that yet.

1 minute ago, jimbofoxman said:

Did you end up going another direction then?  I saw some references to Eibach too.  Haven't take the plunge on that yet.

Nope still running the 5100's. They look nice, but my Ranchos rode almost exactly the same. I suspect the crap heavy KO2's are more unsprung weight than any of the shocks are designed to deal with. Coupled with running a relatively low profile size, on overly stiff sidewalls has lead to my rough riding truck. Seriously it rides like a damn half broken hay wagon with no suspension at all. Which sucks for a $50k luxury pickup, especially when compared with the other competition in this segment.

Currently I'm waiting on the KO2's to wear out so I can swap back to a lighter less stiff tire and see how that works out. Until I just keep my dentist on retainer to put the teeth back in my head every so often from the rough ride.

22 minutes ago, 2kwik4u said:

This is a legit question, and a hard one to answer.

For me, I've got some personal experience at this point and a good friend that had similar reports. Those are corroborated with others here. I'm unsure how TireRack rates their tires. Are they from users, or are they from "new tire tests" against some baseline metric? Hard to say.

The KO2 traction in the mud, overall toughness, and look is superior. The remainder of the driving dynamics are not. Weight, stiffness, sound, and wet traction are all poor. IMO, unless you NEED the superior toughness the 10-ply sidewall provides (It doesn't add squat to towing capability IMO since almost all P-Rated tires in this size range will overload the axle before the tire), there are better All Terrain tires available.

Best advice I can give on this front.......The KO2's are REALLY popular tires. I would ask around to anyone in your area that you see at a gas station, grocery store, etc that has them and see what they say. Use in your market will be the best info you can get.

As it turns out I have a buddy that had the KO2s on his Toyota Tundra, and he had the same bad reports, lousy in the rain and lousy in the snow. Disappointing to see TireRacks review of them as so good with others personal experiences saying otherwise. He switched to Goodyear Duratrac's on one of his trucks and now has them on all 3 of his vehicles and can't say enough good things about them. He lives locally where wet driving is common and he is an avid skier and is in the winter mountains frequently. His reports are they are great in the snow, great in the rain, good in off road terrain... and they do look good on his rigs.  So I think I am now down to two: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac vs Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

Decision time, and I can't use Tireracks stats to help...

'

1 minute ago, F15DOC said:

As it turns out I have a buddy that had the KO2s on his Toyota Tundra, and he had the same bad reports, lousy in the rain and lousy in the snow. Disappointing to see TireRacks review of them as so good with others personal experiences saying otherwise. He switched to Goodyear Duratrac's on one of his trucks and now has them on all 3 of his vehicles and can't say enough good things about them. He lives locally where wet driving is common and he is an avid skier and is in the winter mountains frequently. His reports are they are great in the snow, great in the rain, good in off road terrain... and they do look good on his rigs.  So I think I am now down to two: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac vs Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

Decision time, and I can't use Tireracks stats to help...

'

Word of mouth with experienced use it always the best bet. Glad you got some good data there.

My buddy with the KO2's that complained about wet traction has moved to the Wildpeak AT3W's and loves them. He's in a Jeep Cherokee (old boxy one, not new Fiat based one) for reference.

It appears the OP has bought their tires but other people are still looking.

Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 -  The best AT tire on the market today. It has handled everything I have drove through with ease. Deep snow, rain (absolutely no hydroplaning), rocky passes, deep sand and deep mud. Those Deegans look pretty nice too for a more street oriented AT. But I want a 3 ply sidewall, MPG's be dammed.

Just a couple weeks ago I went off road to a claim. I didn't think I would make it but tried anyway and I made it with no problems. I went easily through mud I would have even never tried with any other tire I have ever owned.  When I was through the worst of it, I stopped to take a break. I opened the door and after looking at the ground decided I wasn't going to get out there. I put it in gear and tried to drive off, but the back tires already sank in. I was watching the rear tires and to my surprise, I started slowly backing out. I glanced at the dash and noticed I wasn't in 4WD, it didn't look bad when I pulled over so I was still in 2wd. I put it in 4wd and backed out with no problems. I've been stuck in 4wd in two inches of mud with the original BFG AT's. I would have turned around if that is what I had on my truck, I wouldn't have even tried. 

I also went straight to the car wash and spent $18 trying to get that crap out of the wheel wells. The bottom of my truck still has a couple inches of dried mud over everything. It sucks.

What's also interesting is that 3 of the 4 old Goodyear SRAs I had to always add 2 PSI to about every two weeks and the 4th I had to add 2-3psi about every 7 to 10 days.  I had the heavy leaker even checked and they said maybe corrosion on the rim is causing it.  These new tires are holding strong for now.  The Goodyear's had just under 45k on them and the whole air loss thing had been happening for a little while.

I had KOs on my last truck....great grip in the rain, and it rains ALL THE TIME here in Florida.   They look too narrow though....I won't buy them again.

+1 for the Falken WildPeak ATW3s.  I have 285/65r18 on stockers.    They have 23,000 miles on them and they are barely worn.   I just rotated them in an X pattern today in the driveway.   They get rotated with every oil change based on the DIC, so it's 5K miles in between or more.  I swear they went months till they wore off the nubs.    Great looks, quiet, great traction, minimum balancing and long tread life....what's not to like?

I picked up a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S yesterday in 275/65/18. Last set was Cooper Discoverer ATP's (discount tire exclusive) those only made it 40k miles or so and they were worn down to 5/32 and with the snow coming soon in NE Ohio I couldn't take the chance of running them through the winter, I'm a traveling sales rep and I never know what I might get stuck in... The ATP's were an OK tire, got me through some bad snow storms but, they wore out quickly IMO and became very loud after about 25k miles / 10 months of driving on them... The new AT3's are quieter and offer a softer ride across bumps... Steering is a bit numb/light but, I haven't even put 50 miles on 'em yet so too early to say if that will change and quite frankly if it''s a + or a - for the tires... These are rated for 65k miles so time will tell how they hold up, hoping to get 50-60k out of them before they're down to 4/32...