2019 Sierra SLT How to Turn Off Grade Braking in Normal Mode

When driving downhill my RPMs rev up quite high and mileage deteriorates drastically. Not talking about cruise grade braking but just normal powertrain grade braking when driving downhill. That is the default within each current ignition key cycle. Can't find that addressed in my owners manual but did find it as a GM tech tip on brakeandfrontend.com. Says you can disable it within current ignition key cycle by pressing and holding the tow/haul button for 3-5 seconds....I don't have a tow/haul button on my 2019 model that I can find...I have a knob to turn it to tow/haul, sport or normal driving but no button to push ......what say ye?

Edited by dcast
Chg

On 11/6/2019 at 9:05 PM, dcast said:

When driving downhill my RPMs rev up quite high and mileage deteriorates drastically. Not talking about cruise grade braking but just normal powertrain grade braking when driving downhill. That is the default within each current ignition key cycle. Can't find that addressed in my owners manual but did find it as a GM tech tip on brakeandfrontend.com. Says you can disable it within current ignition key cycle by pressing and holding the tow/haul button for 3-5 seconds....I don't have a tow/haul button on my 2019 model that I can find...I have a knob to turn it to tow/haul, sport or normal driving but no button to push ......what say ye?

Not sure how the new model is but on the older ones the tow haul button was on the shifter handle. I have complained to GM about this feature and how the stupid idiot engineer who made it enable at every key turn should be punk slapped! It completely degrades driveability at lower speeds and is the main cause for the jerky, motion sickness creating ride these trucks exhibit, well atleast the 14-18 models and don't see why it would not be the same for these model trucks. With a majority of truck owners not using it to tow and even those that do driving without a trailer more than with , it makes 0 sense to have this feature automatically engage at start. It should be a selectable feature that you have to go into and engage if you want it active.

The knob above the headlight switch is where you select tow-haul and some other modes. Coming from a diesel truck these trucks don't have any significant grade braking.

Also if you put the trans in manual mode and select the highest gear it defeats grade braking no matter what mode you select.

Jay

Edited by Jay P