2016 Chevrolet Silverado LT / LT Z71

I just purchased this truck on Monday, it has the 8' screen with the navigation button on the screen, but it does not work, when I click on navigation, it says I need to purchase Onstar. Is there any type of upgrade that I can get the navigation and weather on my screen?

2 hours ago, DonnaO said:

I just purchased this truck on Monday, it has the 8' screen with the navigation button on the screen, but it does not work, when I click on navigation, it says I need to purchase Onstar. Is there any type of upgrade that I can get the navigation and weather on my screen?

Welcome to the site.

Is this the "button" that you are talking about? 

See the source image

I have a 2016 (built 2015) GMC Sierra SLE Z71 with the 8" screen, I only pay Onstar for the data package/wifi, and my navigation works fine. I'm not aware that the wifi package includes navigation, I also never asked as I've had nav since I bought the truck June of 2018.

I know that when Onstar tries to upsell me, nav is one feature they always mention.

18 minutes ago, mcdavis said:

I have a 2016 (built 2015) GMC Sierra SLE Z71 with the 8" screen, I only pay Onstar for the data package/wifi, and my navigation works fine. I'm not aware that the wifi package includes navigation, I also never asked as I've had nav since I bought the truck June of 2018.

I know that when Onstar tries to upsell me, nav is one feature they always mention.

15 hours ago, Jacoby said:

It’s not really Nav. You have to get it through OnStar. 

just use your phone like the rest of us 

Are you saying when you use your phone and connect it to your truck it should mirror your phone? Because I tried doing that and it would not come up on my screen

7 minutes ago, DonnaO said:

Are you saying when you use your phone and connect it to your truck it should mirror your phone? Because I tried doing that and it would not come up on my screen

If you're asking me, I have never used my phone through the truck for navigation. My in dash nav works independently from my phone.

19 minutes ago, mcdavis said:

If you're asking me, I have never used my phone through the truck for navigation. My in dash nav works independently from my phone.

ok, I was told you could use Apple Car play to get it to work from my phone hooked up with the USB cord, but it doesn't work. 

8 minutes ago, DonnaO said:

ok, I was told you could use Apple Car play to get it to work from my phone hooked up with the USB cord, but it doesn't work. 

My understanding is Apple Car Play and Android Auto only work with mid-2016 builds and up because the radio/entertainment system was upgraded mid year. Yeah, that's a very basic explanation because it's all I know...I have no desire for that ability in my truck. 

Someone else with a little more knowledge chime in and explain what I'm trying to say, please.

Your truck may need the firmware update. On my 2016, I had the 8" mylink but Android Auto did not work. I did the firmware update that Chevy offered free at that time (not sure if it still is) and now I can use Android Auto on it. I usually use Waze for navigation but sometimes use Google Maps as well. I also either stream music from Pandora inside Androif Auto or JetAudio to play my own MP3's. The firmware update took just over an hour to have done by the dealer.

13 minutes ago, mcdavis said:

My understanding is Apple Car Play and Android Auto only work with mid-2016 builds and up because the radio/entertainment system was upgraded mid year. Yeah, that's a very basic explanation because it's all I know...I have no desire for that ability in my truck. 

Someone else with a little more knowledge chime in and explain what I'm trying to say, please.

You could be right. My truck was originally delivered to the dealer very beginning of Jan 2016 but not sure of the build date. I know that in order to use Android Auto which is the android version of Car Play, my radio needed a software update. Once that was done, I was able to use Android Auto.

49 minutes ago, DonnaO said:

Yes if you got apple CarPlay or android auto or whatever it is.