In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Open Club  ·  9 members

diesel 3.0
buelldude

3.0- who has one?

I just picked mine up 2 weeks ago, I did have the 2.8 duramax but wanted more.

"Built" and placed an order for one a month ago as I couldn't find anything near MN (summer) or AZ (winter).  Replacing 2014 dble cab 5.3 with 75k miles.  Any info anywhere on production scheduling?

great, let us know how it goes when you get it!

I just picked up a 2020 Sierra SLT with a Duramax 3.0L motor a week ago.  The truck performs better than my expectations.  Initial fuel overall use is averaging +/- 25 mpg.  Motor is very quite and the 10-speed transmission is seamless. Looking forward to towing my travel trailer next week.

Ordered one back in November, just picked it up yesterday, dic was showing 29.5 mpg for the short 25 mile drive home. Liking it very much so far

• Like 1

Got this driving around this morning scouting. most speeds were anywhere from 20 mph to 50 mph on back roads.

IMG_0482 milage.jpg

• Like 1

I don't have a 3.0 have been waiting years,years and years for something like this and I think GM nailed the combo!  Tell me what your impressions are.....Thanks!

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By jshrubs
      Figured I'd start this thread as a place holder for now. Will add mods as I go.
      My truck is a 2016 4.3 Chevrolet Silverado regular cab standard box 4x4. Purchased in June of 2019.
      Since then, I have added:
      -Folding tonneau cover                                                  -catch can          
      -tinted windows                                                              -removed lower portion of valance
      -black plastidip lettering                                                -red tow hooks
      -painted mirror caps                                                       -light smoke on tail lights
      -aftermarket air filter

Future plans include:
      -2 inch level                                                                      -33 inch tires
      -Black bear tune                                                              -Colour matched bumpers/handles
      -Airaid MIT                                                                        -Tint front turn signals
      -Throttle controller                                                          -Rear wheel well liners
      -Upgrade to 8 inch oem stereo                                     -D5S 35w Hids

How it sat when I got it:

• By Lsxtrucker
      So some of you are probably aware I had a little "incident" requiring me to replace both hood lift spring hinges and the hood hinge supports on both sides. I'm just wondering what order you would assemble it to prevent any further headaches or injury. 

So far I've marked with a sharpie where the hood hinge supports attach to my hood (three bolts each side) so it'll line up  near where it belongs. 

I was planning on removing the one bolt and nut on each side of the hood near the windshield cowl that holds the hood to the truck. Then having a neighbor help me lift off the hood I will flip it over and install my new hood hinge supports (three bolts each side)

I'm wondering should I wait until the hood hinge supports and hood itself are installed before installing the hood hinge that contains the spring (and lifts the hood) on each side? Or when the hood is off should I install the hood spring hinges?

My theory would be it might be easier to install the hood without the hood spring assemblies installed yet so it could sit flat instead of in a lifted position. But I very well could be wrong

The other option would be to install the hood spring assembly on each side while the hood is off (but would require my helper and I to lift the hood on in a raised position, then attach the hood hinges with the springs to the hood hinge supports in a "hood raised" position. 

I want to prevent a mistake or any major problem from doing this incorrectly. Also do you know if the hood hinges with the springs attach with the bolt side in or the nut side in?

If anyone has access to information that says how this is supposed to be done and would share an image it would be greatly appreciated. If not, what order would you go about doing this? Hood hinge supports first (with the one bolt on each cowl side going in first, then lift hood to install spring assemblies, or install spring assemblies whole the hood is off or do I have this all wrong. Hopefully I made sense out of this because the parts come tomorrow. 

Thanks very much. 
    • By Zane
      I recently installed the upgraded digital dash in our LTZ that did not have it thanks to White Automotive and Media Services.  The process turned out to be quite a bit more daunting than I had expected. I had found a few posts (here and another better start here) that talked about upgrading the gauge cluster, however I could not find any specific step by step instructions to gain access. 

Here's the obligatory "After" photo showing our new gauge cluster!

With plenty of reasons for everyone to access the radio, center console, and gauge cluster, I thought a step by step tutorial would make the project immensely easier for anyone willing to do it. And trust me, If I can do it, you can do it. 

This "How To" is a work in progress I just wanted to get it out the before it's fully complete for anyone who wants to do this or has been struggling with how to get the specific trim pieces that are required off. 

I plan to do this entire process again in the near future so I can create a video showing this process and take additional photographs to fill in what I missed the first time. 

LAST UPDATE: Feb 21st, 2020

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tools needed
      7mm socket with 6 inch extension & ⅜ ratchet , plastic interior trim removal tools, T15 Torx bit

Plastic Interior Trim Removal Tools are absolutely necessary. Using metal tools or screw drivers will 100% damage your interior!

We used this kit from Amazon that costs around $16.  <------ This is not a referral link. Just being helpful and showing as an example. 

Prepare by cleaning out center console, cup holders, charging area, side console storage areas, and by moving the front driver/passenger seats backwards. 
      Using towels, create a soft area to store interior pieces during work

The Steps

Pry infotainment decorative chrome/painted trim away, starting at the bottom around the HVAC vents on each side, then the top. 
      Remove square access cover directly next to the accelerator pedal.  Remove the 7mm screw under the decorative cover. 
      Place fingers in drivers side footwell console storage area and use moderate force to pull the side of the center console away.  You do not have the totally remove the panel. There are approximately 8 clips to pull loose towards the top and front of the panel.  Do the same on the passenger side, however there is no screw to remove before the panel will snap out. There are approximately 8 clips to pull loose. You do not have to totally remove the panel.  With the center console lid open, use a pry tool to pop the clips holding the top of the center console area to the center console assembly.  Pull up and disconnect approximately 10 clips around the cup holders, charging pad and/or storage pad area  and up to directly below the radio/climate controls. Do not yank the trim too far away, there are wires connected to the bottom of this trim piece.  Gently position the tray as far rearward as possible without removing the wires, or gently remove the wire connectors and place the console on your soft area.  Using a pry tool, remove the thin, curved piece of trim directly under the USB/12V/120V Trailer Brake Controls. There are five clips to remove, each releasing directly towards the rear of the vehicle, parallel to the floor of the vehicle. Release  two clips on each side then pull gently to remove the center clip.
      Positi on console tray (if still attached) to remove two T15 screws at bottom of infotainment/climate control unit.  Unscrew top four T15 screws holding infotainment/climate control in place at top of unit.  Using pry bar, pull infotainment unit away, releasing approximately 8 clips around the unit. Use caution, HVAC ducting will come out with the unit, so only pull directly out.  Disconnect Unit or lean out to continue on for access to gauge cluster. 
      Using a plastic pry tool, release the leather infotainment trim, but only along the side of the cluster.  Using a plastic pry tool, remove the leather gauge cluster hood. The approximately 6 clips are released pulling straight up.  Remove the fuse access panel on the driver’s side door opening.  Using a T15 bit, remove the two screws holding the Light Control / 4X4 Switch unit in place.  Using a pry tool, pull the Light Control / 4X4 Switch unit directly away from the dash. There are approximately 8 clips holding it in place. 
      Unscrew three 7mm screws holding the front cluster trim piece in place.  Using your hands, pry the cluster trim piece away from behind the steering wheel, including the trim piece on the top of the steering wheel column that is attached. 
      Remove four 7mm screws holding gauge cluster in place. 
      For 2019 trucks, slide red locking tab and lift cam lock to remove cluster harness. 
      Reverse steps to reassemble.   

Please comment with any suggestions, edits, or comments. I'd like this to be as helpful as possible. 

• By Irving
      Just installed an S&B cold air intake #75-5103D with the (white) Dry extendable filter. Got it on amazon for 399$ same price as the S&B website , but shipping took 2 days with prime , S&B wanted 40$ to ship it standard. Installation was easy , and it looks really nice under the hood in my opinion, but better yet I can definitely hear the turbo whistle even more than stock. I still have the DPF and the catalytic behind the turbo so its not a nice full flowing whistle , but its loud enough to make me smile lol. Just wanted to create this thread for those with a Duramax (L5P) that were wondering on this CAI. I recommend It, I know is pricey , but most mods to these truck are. LMK if you have any questions 👍🏻

• By ABT15-1500
      Whats up guys, hope all you GM people are doing great. Ive got a 2017 silverado 5.3
      Broke my transfer case gears around a month ago and tc actuator, replaces the gears with nitro gears and axles 4.11 and a new actuator. My truck is modified so i dont have warranty, costed me a lot to get the truck fixed from the middle east and parts+labor is much more than what you guys pay in the states. Anyway everything was fine switched the  knob to 2-auto-4hi all was good on the road, i just kept the thing on 2wheel drive all the time. I drive usually in the desert/dunes and decided not to use 4 wheel drive at all unless im stuck. didn't get stuck for a good while till this weekend, got stuck switched to 4hi light changded felt the car turning to 4wheel and my friend gave me a tow and as soon as the car got out the sand got the service 4 wheel drive message. turned it to 2 wheel drive and light was stuck on 4hi however the car was not on 4 wheel drive ( did some doughnuts to confirm if the car is on 4 or 2 drive. Anyway now the car is back at the dealership and they want to charge me 2500 usd dollars just to pull down the transfer case and diagnose the issue. The mechanic said he assumes its the transfer case clutch.. Wanted to know your thoughts on this ? plus Isnt their an upgraded transfer case and clutch ? or a rebuild kit ?  What are my options if i want to upgrade the transfer case if i have any ? tried google and didn't find much. HELP!!!!!!!!