Impressions after a year?

14SLE

I am getting close to the end of the extended warranty on my 14 SLE Z71 crew cab.  The truck has not had any major problems, but I have not been a fan of the AFM system.  Specifically, after about a year, the truck slowly started driving totally differently than it did when it was new.  It went through the "clunk" and "slam" phase, then the AFM became more and more aggressive until it now tries to kick in all the time.  I get really sick of the "lug", "lurch", "lug", "lurch" during the lower speed portion of my commute. The service department says the ECU has "learned" my driving situation and has adapted to it.  I really want it to "unlearn" my scenario, but resetting the transmission learning doesn't seem to affect the AFM behavior.  I have a Range device, which helps significantly, but it definitely affects my fuel economy (down about 1.x mpg).  When I talk to my salesman, he says the newer trucks with DFM and the 10-speed transmission do not exhibit this behavior.  I would like to hear from people who have these trucks to see if that is true.  There are some really good sales going on right now, even on 2020 models, so I am tempted to upgrade to an SLT+ truck while my truck still has a good trade-in value.  However, I don't really want to buy another "Jekyll and Hyde" truck that will totally change its personality as it ages.  Can any 2019 owners with DFM and a 10-speed transmission comment on how your truck is doing after a year?

If anything, my 6.2 / 10 speed has gotten better with age. Bought it in January. Came from a ‘16 5.3 / 6 speed that did all of the same crap yours is. DFM is much less intrusive and the 10 speed is MUCH less clunky.

With stock exhaust you’re not likely to even notice DFM most of the time. Low speed/ parking lot behavior is much better than AFM, but it still does drop cylinders more than I would like.

Thanks for the reply.  I visited the dealership today and test drove two different SLT premium trucks with the 5.3 and 10-speed transmission.  They drove very nicely.  About a month ago, my salesman gave me a verbal trade-in estimate for my truck that was right in line with the KBB trade-in value, so I thought it would be worth investigating the cost delta to a new one.  Of course, the dealership offered me much less than the verbal estimate today, so I am going to stick with my truck for the time being--it's pristine and still under warranty, so why not? 

I still have very serious reservations about buying another GM after the "bait and switch" routine the AFM system pulled on me with this truck.  I would want to be assured that the new truck drives the same way after time passes.

On 11/9/2019 at 3:07 PM, 14SLE said:

Thanks for the reply.  I visited the dealership today and test drove two different SLT premium trucks with the 5.3 and 10-speed transmission.  They drove very nicely.  About a month ago, my salesman gave me a verbal trade-in estimate for my truck that was right in line with the KBB trade-in value, so I thought it would be worth investigating the cost delta to a new one.  Of course, the dealership offered me much less than the verbal estimate today, so I am going to stick with my truck for the time being--it's pristine and still under warranty, so why not? 

I still have very serious reservations about buying another GM after the "bait and switch" routine the AFM system pulled on me with this truck.  I would want to be assured that the new truck drives the same way after time passes.

I would suggest driving the competition while you wait for the new T1's to get a few years of use out of them. It is hard to say what else will, or will not show up as the series gets older.

You never know, another brand might be more appealing, ultimately being happy behind the wheel is what we all strive for.

• Like 1

Good advice.

I test drove a Nissan Titan and loved it--it ran like a frightened deer and it drove really well. However, I have a friend who works for an automotive supplier and he recommended avoiding the Titan.  He showed me pictures of a few parts on Internet automotive supply websites as examples and I can't fault his logic.  Almost all of the Titan reviews I have read online (professional and owner reviews) have been mediocre at best.  It's sad, because they are nice trucks.

I have looked at Tundras, but they drive like an enormous vehicle (I'm 6'3", so it says a lot when I think something seems huge).  Also, I have talked to Tundra owners at gas stations and they all claim to get about 13 mpg.  That's a little painful because my '14 GMC regularly pulls 18-20+ on my commute. 

I am a previous Ford Ranger owner and a previous Dodge truck owner.  They were both OK.  However, the owners of new Fords at work have had horrible problems with them (cracked oil pans, timing chain issues, turbo issues, transmission issues) at very low mileages (10-30K).  I like the look of the new Dodge trucks, but my automotive supplier friend also very strongly advised me to avoid FCA products.

My daughters both have Mazdas and they have been almost flawless after years of faithful service.  I wish Mazda made trucks.

I will just stick with my GMC until the extended warranty expires.  If it is still doing OK, I may tune it to get rid of its spastic behavior.  I just don't relish the thought of paying $2K to fix the likely A/C failure.  On my last GM product, the first failure (4WD issues and water pump at 31K) was quickly followed by the second, third, fourth, and many more.  I won't go down that path again.

• Like 1

Whatever you decide to do, quit focusing so much on mpg. 

1 mpg does not matter at all in the long run with the Range device. 17 vs 18 mpg driving 12k miles a year is a difference of $8/mo with gas being at $2.60. If an extra $100/yr puts you in the poor house, you have bigger problems and should not be looking at a new truck. Even 13mpg with a Tundra (that is accurate) versus a best case scenario of 20 is about $70/mo or $840/yr. That's marginal if you really like the Tundra. 

Edited by Mandalorian
  • Like 3

I agree that the 1 MPG difference caused by the Range device is totally insignificant.  I have done the calculations and a Tundra would cost me about an extra $600 per year in gas.  My wife and I pay cash for our vehicles, so that isn't likely to break us in the near future.  However, as an engineer, I don't like using something woefully inefficient when other options are available without compromise.  If I were really concerned about fuel economy, I would buy a Tesla Model X instead of a big pickup truck.

That being said, my problem with the Tundra is the fact that is based upon 2005 technology.  While I applaud its reliability, I can get 17 mpg mixed and 20 mpg highway on my GMC with the Range device turned on.  That's basically an apples-to-apples comparison because they are both similar sized V8s with 6-speed transmissions.  Toyota also has very strange options--I like the looks of the TRD Sport package, but you cannot get that package on a Limited or Platinum truck.  The only high-end truck with that package is the TRD Pro that doesn't even have automatic climate control.  The Tundra has a 4.30 axle ratio and there appears to be no other option--both of my gas guzzling classic Chevrolet cars have smaller ratios and probably get about the same fuel economy (well, probably not the 396).  My '99 Dodge got 11 mpg mixed and 15 mpg highway--I had to visit the gas station 2-3 times per week.  I got a little tired of that.  The Tundra isn't much of an improvement.

In short, I like the looks of the GMC trucks, but I am tired of paying lots of money to be a beta tester for the General (that's why I bought the SLE this time--it had the 6-speed instead of the 8-speed transmission).  I want something that doesn't make me visit the gas station every third day and the service department every month or two.  I'm hoping the DFM will be reliable because it looks like that is going to be the future of GM engines.  I just don't want another truck that bucks, lugs, and slams its way down the road.

2 hours ago, 14SLE said:

I agree that the 1 MPG difference caused by the Range device is totally insignificant.  I have done the calculations and a Tundra would cost me about an extra $600 per year in gas.  My wife and I pay cash for our vehicles, so that isn't likely to break us in the near future.  However, as an engineer, I don't like using something woefully inefficient when other options are available without compromise.  If I were really concerned about fuel economy, I would buy a Tesla Model X instead of a big pickup truck.

That being said, my problem with the Tundra is the fact that is based upon 2005 technology.  While I applaud its reliability, I can get 17 mpg mixed and 20 mpg highway on my GMC with the Range device turned on.  That's basically an apples-to-apples comparison because they are both similar sized V8s with 6-speed transmissions.  Toyota also has very strange options--I like the looks of the TRD Sport package, but you cannot get that package on a Limited or Platinum truck.  The only high-end truck with that package is the TRD Pro that doesn't even have automatic climate control.  The Tundra has a 4.30 axle ratio and there appears to be no other option--both of my gas guzzling classic Chevrolet cars have smaller ratios and probably get about the same fuel economy (well, probably not the 396).  My '99 Dodge got 11 mpg mixed and 15 mpg highway--I had to visit the gas station 2-3 times per week.  I got a little tired of that.  The Tundra isn't much of an improvement.

In short, I like the looks of the GMC trucks, but I am tired of paying lots of money to be a beta tester for the General (that's why I bought the SLE this time--it had the 6-speed instead of the 8-speed transmission).  I want something that doesn't make me visit the gas station every third day and the service department every month or two.  I'm hoping the DFM will be reliable because it looks like that is going to be the future of GM engines.  I just don't want another truck that bucks, lugs, and slams its way down the road.

This isn't helpful for you but a Tundra would actually be cheaper for me to own, despite the worse fuel economy. That's because I can get all the features I want in a Tundra SR5, which has an MSRP of ~$50k CAD. To get the features I want in a GM, I have to go to a $65k CAD Elevation. 

2019 6.2 LTZ that I bought in February and I have had zero issues with it.  I would buy it again without hesitation.  The 6.2 \ 10 speed is amazing.   This truck just wants to fly and it rides as smooth as any car out there.   No issues with reliability yet and options are all personal preference but I'm happy with what they offer.   

Smitty

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

Mazda Made a Ranger, not an F150  

Or was it Ford that made the B3000 ?  :dunno:

B2000, B2200, and B2600 were the original Mazda's.

The B3000 was a Ranger with a Mazda nose, and slight interior differences, that was back when Ford was also killing Volvo.

• Like 2

Toyota? My 2010 had cam phasors that sounded like thor under the hood.. The Tacoma was a pale ghost of my '90s boxed frame toyotas... and 22R... for reliability. Had a Ferd 2017 2.7 Lariat. 4 oil pans and one blown radiator. No more turbos for me thanks.

Bought a leftover Sierra '18. It is heavier than the other two.. but it gets better mileage. My 05 Yukon (5.3) only needed a water pump to 100k. Ram, Ferd and GM are very competitive. My finding is that it is best to avoid turbo charged motors for daily drivers.