Help buying new truck

I currently have a 2016 1500 LTZ/Z71, 5.3. I tow a Jayco 28 ft. (6500 lbs loaded) TT several times a year about 2500 miles round trip into the Colorado mountains crossing 6 passes. The truck struggles to maintain 60 mph (flat land) and will not even get out of 5th gear. (8 speed)  Next year I am planning on upgrading to the 2500 D-MAX before my first trip of the year. Reasons include more pulling power and also stability. Not the mention I'm getting tired of watching you guys with the diesels pass me doing 70+ with twice or more load.

Last year when pulling between Amarillo and Dumas I encountered a side wind of about 30 kts. Nowhere to pull over for about 20 miles. This was VERY stressful. One of my questions is will the bigger 2500 platform handle this side load on an RV better? Also What kind of fuel mileage while towing smaller RV's like this can I expect. Obviously Mileage is not a reason to buy any truck. (with the exception of maybe the new 1500 d-max) My main problem with the 1500's is payload. I am almost certain I have more than once exceeded my payload capacity when fully loaded with all my camping gear and occupants. I also plan on trading in the TT for a 5th wheel sometime down the road.

Edited by Lfod1836

3 hours ago, Lfod1836 said:

I currently have a 2016 1500 LTZ/Z71, 5.3. I tow a Jayco 28 ft. (6500 lbs loaded) TT several times a year about 2500 miles round trip into the Colorado mountains crossing 6 passes. The truck struggles to maintain 60 mph (flat land) and will not even get out of 5th gear. (8 speed)  Next year I am planning on upgrading to the 2500 D-MAX before my first trip of the year. Reasons include more pulling power and also stability. Not the mention I'm getting tired of watching you guys with the diesels pass me doing 70+ with twice or more load.

Last year when pulling between Amarillo and Dumas I encountered a side wind of about 30 kts. Nowhere to pull over for about 20 miles. This was VERY stressful. One of my questions is will the bigger 2500 platform handle this side load on an RV better? Also What kind of fuel mileage while towing smaller RV's like this can I expect. Obviously Mileage is not a reason to buy any truck. (with the exception of maybe the new 1500 d-max) My main problem with the 1500's is payload. I am almost certain I have more than once exceeded my payload capacity when fully loaded with all my camping gear and occupants. I also plan on trading in the TT for a 5th wheel sometime down the road.

I'd imagine the heavier truck will help some, but I think the hitch you are using would make the bigger difference. As for milage, I get 9.5-10.5 towing a 9-10k toy hauler. 

38 minutes ago, Lfod1836 said:

My hitch is a husky round bar weight distribution hitch.

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-30849-Weight-Distribution-Control

Do you use the anti sway portion? I had a similar hitch (different brand) and was never really happy with it. I rarely used the anti sway becuase it made so much noise and needed to be removed for backing. I switched to the Equilizer hitch and am much happier with it but it is a bit pricy. 

4 hours ago, Lfod1836 said:

One of my questions is will the bigger 2500 platform handle this side load on an RV better? Also What kind of fuel mileage while towing smaller

Yes, the longer wheel base and stiffer suspension will be much more forgiving.

Mileage will increase with time as the Duramax breaks in, but in this case I would think safety is more of a concern than a few dollars at the pump.

I have always been a firm believer that you should have more truck than is needed  if you plan on towing a lot.

Having more trailer than truck can cost you, and others their lives. 

• Like 1

i pulled 20ft enclosed 7000 lbs right before (sold 2009 dmax 3 wks before) my 2020 2500hd came in 800 miles with 1/2 ton 5.3l and was worst experience in world . if you can afford towing with extra weight of truck  and braking is worth the piece of mind and safety

21 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

I would think safety is more of a concern than a few dollars at the pump. 

I agree 100 percent!   It's more of a curiosity than a deciding factor. But I do have to admit that I often think how I can buy a lot of fuel for the 20k price difference. But honestly when you are spending 70k on a truck, does a couple bucks at the pump really make that big of a difference??

I've pretty much made up my mind on making the jump. Now I would just like to see some info from people pulling mid size bumper pulls like mine. just to see how well they pull and what to expect. All the videos you see on you-tube are these huge 5th wheels and toy haulers.

Edited by Lfod1836

14 minutes ago, BB&Chiveon said:

i pulled 20ft enclosed 7000 lbs right before (sold 2009 dmax 3 wks before) my 2020 2500hd came in 800 miles with 1/2 ton 5.3l and was worst experience in world . if you can afford towing with extra weight of truck  and braking is worth the piece of mind and safety 

After I pulled it the first time 2 years ago I swore I would never pull it into the mountains again, I did it again last year and that WILL be the last. I agree it was a very bad experience. I have been pulling trailers all my life, they were however mostly lowboy trailers and boats. This is the first Box RV I have ever owned. So that is a very different type of pulling. 

Edited by Lfod1836

44 minutes ago, sdelam said:

Do you use the anti sway portion?

Oh yes It makes a big difference over not using it. mine made a lot of noise also at first. I figured out that I was tightening up too much. A very knowledgeable camper showed my how to set it up correctly to get the anti-sway but not have the noise. (happy medium between too tight and too loose)

If I were in the market, would go with a 3500 HD SRW Duramax.

More capacity that the 2500, and almost as much as a Dooly, except easier to drive if you are using it daily.

Edited by JimCost2014

8 minutes ago, Lfod1836 said:

Ok... Explain this because It will be a Daily driver..

Drives like a normal truck, as where the dual rear wheels can be more challenging because of the width.

Very easy to rip off a rear fender on the DRW, or not realize you are in the lane next to you.

If you have the chance, find a dealer you like, and see if they will let you take each on an extended test drive, maybe even overnight, so you can see the difference for yourself.

Plus you can take "mental ownership" of the one you like with it sitting in your driveway. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Very easy to rip off a rear fender on the DRW, or not realize you are in the lane next to you.

Now I see where you were going, I thought you were saying it was a better daily driver than the 2500. I guess I do need to look at the 3500. Price wise not much difference. But what about stiffness, comfort and drive-ability as a daily driver. vs the 2500?

13 minutes ago, Lfod1836 said:

Now I see where you were going, I thought you were saying it was a better daily driver than the 2500. I guess I do need to look at the 3500. Price wise not much difference. But what about stiffness, comfort and drive-ability as a daily driver. vs the 2500?

You know, when you start getting into the HD series, they are going to ride like what they were designed to be (if that makes sense). The new ones will be head and shoulders above previous generations, but it is still a big heavy truck designed to pull and haul.

Drive them all, then make your decision, but like I said, I think the 3500 is the most bang for the buck (SRW).