Protection Against SALT

MacLaren

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 11:03 AM, jefferoonie said:

We have a Tommy's system around here.  I just have one thought.

Car wash places recycle their water around here.  In the winter when you have car after car going through, I would think the water turns pretty saline.

Yes, they filter the water, but filters do not remove salt.

Do these washes end up just blasting saline water deeper into crevices?

Thanks for bringing the filtering and salt to my attention. I have since writing this been to the car wash to ask and they showed me how they filter the wash water and never use filtered water in the rinse cycle. And the wash water is filtered and mix with so much fresh water very very little salt remains. Not sure what else we can do. I wash my truck at least 2 times a week and many weeks every other day.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:33 PM, RyanbabZ71 said:

I sprayed the underneath of my truck with amsoil HD metal protector a few weeks ago. We will see how it holds up it can’t hurt

Hey big guy, how's the Amsoil HD doing thus far?  I know it hasnt been that long, buy still, I would really appreciate your thoughts.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

You Tube:

"Sweet Project Cars"

Your Car Will NEVER RUST Again! For Just $10 Bucks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHMpJebGx_g

That only sorta works in the bases of the doors, etc.. It doesn't do anything for the rest of the vehicle- ie underbody, etc. It's not going to work super well in the rust belt. Granted, it's better than nothing & would be best if he mixed the liquefied jelly with the trans fluid and warmed them up to about 130 -150 degrees before applying. 
I use a product for doors, fenders, rockers etc. that does all that and more. I only pay $5/liter(CAD) for it & it smells like strawberries. It goes in and creeps into every nook and crevice, then partially solidifies, giving a good barrier of protection.  
Many cars up here rust in the strangest places & need very thorough rust prevention. For example, many Mazdas, Subarus, Ford unibody SUV's and much more, rust out in places that the video doesn't address at all.
In the rust belt, the entire underbody and chassis also needs heavy duty protection, else just doing the doors, rockers and fenders is mostly a waste of time & $$

Edited by Nanotech Environmental
  • Like 1

Hey big guy, how's the Amsoil HD doing thus far?  I know it hasnt been that long, buy still, I would really appreciate your thoughts.

So far so good. Been through a bunch of rain and has held up good.

Ryan B.
  • Thanks 1

I live on the East Coast (Nova Scotia). You can watch the vehicles corrode here, it's that bad. The method that works best, hands down, is once every 2-3 weeks running it through a car wash. Getting it undercoated to make sure the nooks and crannies are done well is a good protector as well.

We have a lot of dynamic weather here, usually wet, and the salt is not spared. They also use the liquid salt which creeps up wires. If you're not washing it off it will eat everything alive...just ask the school bus maintainers here.

On 11/13/2019 at 6:50 PM, MacLaren said:

With winter coming on, I'm trying to decide the best way to protect my truck from that nasty salt.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Amsoil HD Metal Protector. 

Anyone have any experience with this?

I've heard that fluid film might better used for an older truck that already has rust, because ff, after applied to a new GM, will cause the wax and everything to come off, leaving bare metal when sprayed with water. 

Hey, what are you stressing over road salt for?  You live in North Carolina.  It doesn't snow in the South does it?....BTW I'm kidding.  I know where you live.  Remember, I'm two counties over.  Different world up here on top of the Blue Ridge huh?

I remember few years ago when Appstate was up north playing in the FCS playoffs and it was televised on ESPN.  It started snowing after halftime and one of the intelligent commentators said being from the South that it was going to be a big disadvantage for App.  The other commentator replied, "It's apparent you've never been to Boone, North Carolina." 

I would gladly trade our December, January, and February with the flatlanders, but they can keep their June, July and Augusts. Guess we'll get a taste of the white stuff tonight.

Edited by Foghorn19
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Foghorn19 said:

Hey, what are you stressing over road salt for?  You live in North Carolina.  It doesn't snow in the South does it?....BTW I'm kidding.  I know where you live.  Remember, I'm two counties over.  Different world up here on top of the Blue Ridge huh?

I remember few years ago when Appstate was up north playing in the FCS playoffs and it was televised on ESPN.  It started snowing after halftime and one of the intelligent commentators said being from the South that it was going to be a big disadvantage for App.  The other commentator replied, "It's apparent you've never been to Boone, North Carolina." 

I would gladly trade our December, January, and February with the flatlanders, but they can keep their June, July and Augusts. Guess we'll get a taste of the white stuff tonight.

Lol! You ain't kiddin!

Man, were gonna get about 4-8" of the white stuff tomorrow actually.  A nice little snow.

But, yeah man, this salt is awful. 

I'm gonna give the Amsoil a go.

I have a 2010 Silverado and to late I found rust over rear wheels and behind tail lights.

If you remove the 2 screws on side of tail light in tailgate opening then pull straight back to remove the tail light assembly.  I found lots of sand & salt in tail light assembly and could see same over wheel well. I found a hose several times a year cleaned both over fender and tail light areas and would allow whatever rust protection to be sprayed in.

12 hours ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

That only sorta works in the bases of the doors, etc.. It doesn't do anything for the rest of the vehicle- ie underbody, etc. It's not going to work super well in the rust belt. Granted, it's better than nothing & would be best if he mixed the liquefied jelly with the trans fluid and warmed them up to about 130 -150 degrees before applying. 

Born in the Midwest and driving/maintaining for about fifty years now. Doors, rockers, lower fenders, dog legs. Fender to wheel well seams, bottom of front fender, tail gate lower seam and cab corners. Those are the frequent fliers. I've never had a floor board rot out or a hood or a roof, A,B,C or D pillar rot. Never a cowl.  But then I've never owned Vega. Oh I've seen it happen. Just not on anything I've owned. The few I have seen rot where the floor meets any of the afore mentioned areas. Seams. And yes early unibody sub frames. Seams where water rest and salt packs. Where drain and weep holes are above the lowest part of the structures seams. Funny that.

Early on I had cars rust proofed by 'professionals'. Zebart. Thixo-Tex / Rusty Jones and others. Ford had a wand applied rustproof. Every one I had done rotted anyway. Everyone denied the claims and everyone missed large areas or simply took money and applied nothing at all. The quickest was Thixo-Tex on a Ford Granada. Hole in the front fender you could toss a slow pitch ball through in about six months....of summer. 

When I was young I watched Dad pour gallons of red lead primer into all the places in that video and I watched those cars go rust free for upwards of 30 years or until mom totaled it. :crackup:Eventually that girl wrecked them all. 

Well I can't buy leaded primers anymore so....oil it is, and as it has been working I'll jus keep doing it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MacLaren said:

Lol! You ain't kiddin!

Man, were gonna get about 4-8" of the white stuff tomorrow actually.  A nice little snow.

But, yeah man, this salt is awful. 

I'm gonna give the Amsoil a go.

Even worse than the salt in my opinion is the brine (magnesium chloride) they spray and pre-treat with.  That stuff is insto-rust on steroids.  Does wonders for the car wash business though.

Edited by Foghorn19
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Foghorn19 said:

Even worse than the salt in my opinion is the brine (magnesium chloride) they spray and pre-treat with.  That stuff is insto-rust on steroids.  Does wonders for the car wash business though.

Yes!

That's really what makes it so bad man.

3 hours ago, Foghorn19 said:

Last few years around here they spray the bridges with beet juice. Lowers the freeze point, slows corrosion and sticks to the road better and cost is about the same. Well...that's what "THEY" say.