Fuel Filler Neck Flap - Am I Crazy?

Hey guys,

I was filling up today right after being at the coin op car wash.  All of a sudden the tank is overflowing because the auto shutoff isn't working on the pump.  Good thing I had a full 20oz water bottle to flush away the gas!

Anyway, when I removed the nozzle from the filler neck, I could have sworn there used to be a metal/silver flap inside the filler neck...

Is there, or isn't there a metal/silver flap inside the neck? I have a 2015 and therefore have an actual gas cap. Not to be confused to with the new capless systems.

Never seen the flap unless it was a capless system.

Both the 2016's my family owns with gas caps have nothing there.

Funny thing though, 2 days ago I hit the gas station for a snack before my drive back to my work. I pull into the back of the lot and look over, lady with a 2016ish Volvo XC60 had the nozzle in going full bore, it's just spraying fuel all over the ground and she's just sitting in the car with no clue. I sprint over to click the pump off, alert her and what not. It was probably 3-4 gallons on over the ground lol. This is exactly why you need to stand by the pump at all times even in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not out at my truck. However, I am pretty sure there is no flap on mine. For some reason I think my avalanche did have one but not positive. I know for a fact the Ford Edge I traded in for the Silverado did have one. 

None on my 14 Silverado when I had it.

My 17 was capless so it did.

My old 2006 Trailblazer SS did not have one either.  Talked to dealer in 06 they ordered new filler neck and it had none either.

Found out later GM had stopped that to save some money as they considered it not a necessity.

Mt 02 Avalanche beater truck has one I had it overflow at the gas station last week and I was standing there maybe .25 went on the truck and ground.  Must be the colder temps causing these pumps not to cut off.