Trail Boss road noise / tire vibration

6 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

Wow really? I was always under the impression the Ridge Graps were louder then Duratracs. But man do i love the style of RG

Yes, I am running 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers now and they are still much quieter than the stock Duratracs.

• 2 months later...

I noticed the hum/whine right away and attributed it to the tires.  They're the most obnoxious around 25 - 35 mph, but seem to quiet down at highway speeds.  I also noticed they do fantastic in snow and ice, but I've read once the siping wears off after 20K - 30K miles they are basically mud terrain tires and don't do as well.  I imagine they'll get more and more noisy as they wear too.  I went ahead and replaced them at 8000 miles with 33" BF Goodrich KO2's and they are significantly quieter (but still hum a bit) and fill the wheel well better.  I was able to give my son in law the Duratracs, so it worked out fine for me.

IMG_2173 copy.jpg

Edited by JohnMr19
Add photo
  • Like 1

I like the look with the BFG KO2s.  I'm an old school white letters out guy.

IMG_2176 copy.jpg

Edited by JohnMr19
Change Photo
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

My Duratrac's  started getting noisy at about 30K miles.  At 38K miles I've had enough.  I rotate my tires at every oil change (local Chevy dealer).  What I've noticed is cupping on the inside and outside edge of the front tires.  Cupping will generate a lot of tire noise.  

When you goggle cupping it's cause everything says worn suspension control (shocks) or broken suspension causes cupping.  I have to wonder if GM softened the ride on these amazing new trucks so much that it is causing this issue.  

I'm not sure what I'll replace the Duratrac's with but something is going to happen very soon.

• 2 weeks later...

yup same here (2019 Trailboss) tires rotated every 5k. at 20k miles the noise was unbearable at 55mph, my wife wouldnt even ride in the truck anymore. Rebalanced the tires and it was ok till the next rotation. now up to 36k with another rebalance and I cant even take it anymore. tires are probably 40% treadlife left. outsides and insides are scalloped. its happening when they are on the front. when they are on the rear you can see that the worn areas are not touching the road, but the front have full contact. BFG T/A KO2's are coming shortly. i will most  likely do shocks at the same time.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2020 Trail Boss with the exact same issue.  My truck was purchased in April 2020 and now has 24k miles on it.  The truck was quiet as can be until about the 20,000 mile mark.  Oil has been changed and tires rotated every time.  Alignment has been done every oil change also to make sure I get the most life out of my tires.  I am not getting vibration but the road noise between 30-60 mph is unbearable.

Firestone says there is an issue with the suspension and it is a warranty issue.  GM says the alignment and suspension have no issues, but the tires are feathered severely and recommends replacing the tires.

I did not choose the tires, GM did.  Why would the consumer have to try to fight with Good Year for tires that were purchased by GM for this truck?  If the alignment and suspension are good then why would these tires feather and have issues if everything else is good?  And as the consumer of a $50,000 + truck we are left holding the bag for the cost of new tires. I can guarantee you they wont be replaced with Good Year tires if I have to pay for them.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2020 Silverado with the Duratrak tires and they are doing the same thing.  I took it back to the dealer and they said the tires are "cupping".  The truck had about 15k miles and they told me my only option was to see if I could find a tire shop that could shave them down or buy new tires.  I wasn't able to find a tire shop that would shave them and I couldn't justify buying new tires when the tires on my truck were basically brand new.  Soooooo frustrating.  Between 30 and 40mph and then between 50 and 60mph the tire hum is almost unbearable.  I am just dealing with the noise and vibration until the tires wear down.  My biggest fear is that when I do buy new tires the same thing will happen again.  I like the look of the Duratrak and would like something similar but I will not be buying those tires again.  They are horrible.  Any recommendations on tires??

On 5/28/2020 at 1:31 PM, JohnMr19 said:

I like the look with the BFG KO2s.  I'm an old school white letters out guy.

IMG_2176 copy.jpg

Yup same here, not only the best looking tire on the market but most dependable too imo. Been running ko and ko-2 tires for the last 30 years of gm trucks, from my 89 s10 baja to my 14 sierra. Not a single tire issue in 30 years, not a flat/blow out or anything other than 10 years of age and around 50-60k is when they start to dry up and need replacing.

I bet it would be hard for anyone here to give me a similar story with another brand, 3 decades is a pretty solid sample size imo!

21 hours ago, brindleyslc said:

My biggest fear is that when I do buy new tires the same thing will happen again

Mine too. Right now at around 8000 miles my Duratracs are ok. But if my tires develop the cupping, is that because of the soft Rancho shocks maybe? Wonder if upgrading the front shocks would be a good idea to prevent it from happening in the first place?

I have 10k on my duratracs and they ride very smooth with minor humming at low speed but quiet at highway speeds.  Considering their aggressive nature, they are very quiet in comparison to others of similar pattern styles and they ride extremely well.

It sucks when you hear somebody else has had a bad experience with a product you have had good experiences with, so I hope you find a resolution soon and good luck!

Edited by Gangly

• 1 month later...

20k miles here LT Trailboss with stock Duratecs. No mods to truck at all. 

Last couple thousand miles there is a pretty intense road hum/noise at 60-65 mph. Driving me nuts and cannot tell when it started or if I just noticed it. Passenger even asks 'what is that noise?". Its like an intense road hum. 

Part of me hopes its as simple as the tires but I don't want to buy new ones right now. Frustrating. I'd hate to replace tires and the Noise is still there. 

Edited by 175vTrailbossLT

• 3 months later...
On 11/15/2019 at 11:00 PM, Cmillerjr said:

Let me start by saying I’ve had lifted trucks all my life with big off-road all terrain tires. These duratrak tires are absolutely the worst tires I’ve ever had. I’m at about 15k miles, the noise and vibration between 30 and 60 mph is ridiculous. It’s actually starting to vibrate the truck apart from the constant humm. The hood latch/cable has worked its way loose and now has its own noise. It’s sad that a $56k truck has tires with over half tread left, and only 15k miles are going to need to be replaced before the truck rattles itself apart. 

Anyone else having this problem? Any luck getting support from GM?

On 11/15/2019 at 11:00 PM, Cmillerjr said:

Let me start by saying I’ve had lifted trucks all my life with big off-road all terrain tires. These duratrak tires are absolutely the worst tires I’ve ever had. I’m at about 15k miles, the noise and vibration between 30 and 60 mph is ridiculous. It’s actually starting to vibrate the truck apart from the constant humm. The hood latch/cable has worked its way loose and now has its own noise. It’s sad that a $56k truck has tires with over half tread left, and only 15k miles are going to need to be replaced before the truck rattles itself apart. 

Anyone else having this problem? Any luck getting support from GM?

I have the same issue

Those tires need to be rotated twice as often as you all take them in for oil changes. 3-4k increments will be the only thing that makes them wear remotely even. They are great MUD tires. If I had a dollar for every time I saw someone complain about this and take one look at their tires and it tells this story.

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2021 at 10:51 AM, BossTaco2020 said:

Mine too. Right now at around 8000 miles my Duratracs are ok. But if my tires develop the cupping, is that because of the soft Rancho shocks maybe? Wonder if upgrading the front shocks would be a good idea to prevent it from happening in the first place?

Well this comment didn't age well. And dang have I driven some miles this year! I'm at 16K miles now in August and my Duratracs are droning and starting to vibrate things in the cabin. Only happens between over 45mph and doesn't happen when I'm trailering my boat. We'll see how long I can stand these tires before I head over to KO2's. And I still want to replace the crappy Ranchos...