Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sunroof possessed


Recommended Posts

Been missing for quite a while, but I have a 14 Sierra SLT crew cab. When I first test drove it, the sun roof quit working after venting. No issue, they’ll have to fix it. Bought it Saturday and it started working on the way home, Monday back to the lot bc it quit again. Sat for over a week trying to trouble shoot it. It messed up once and they did a relearn and worked fine for them after. Picked it up, next day same thing. Waited for ext warranty to kick in and brought it to the GMC branch of said dealership. It had worked perfectly every freaking time they try it. 
 

here’s what it does. When it’s slightly warm out, on a cold start after sitting in the sun for hours, it’ll open and not close, or it won’t function at all, OR the buttons will all do the same thing. Drive it for 30 minutes or so, and it’ll either work right, or the buttons will again do all the same thing. When it doesn’t function, you can hear A clicking right behind the buttons. Do y’all have any ideas what I can do so they can try to diagnose it? Any idea what it may be so I can try to fix it myself? I’m fixing to contact GM as the dealership wants me to pick up my truck since it’s “working properly”. I love my truck, but the sunroof was the main reason I got it. Sorry for the long message, and thanks in advance!!

 

ETA: I have searched high and low for this problem, and there’s no one who has this same problem. I’m not blowing fuses at all, I don’t have the console charge pad, no the sliding back glass.

Edited by Alexquade
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not possessed.  I have the same issue on my '14 High Country.  I've narrowed it down to heat.  When it is cool outside and/or no direct sunlight heating up the sunroof, it works perfectly.  This is why the dealer was unable to reproduce while it sat in their service bay.  And when I picked it up in the morning, no problems.  Later in the day, it produces all sorts of stuttering and stops.

 

I've had an independent shop test as much as they could get to without taking everything apart (apparently it involves the curtain airbags).  They believe the problem is with the motor.  The switches checked out just fine regarding voltage.  Haven't had a chance to hand it over to a specialist yet, as I need my truck on a daily basis.

 

And yes, I signed up just for this post.  I've been researching this problem for quite a while now.  There's one other post on this forum from about 4 years ago that describes the same issue, but there was no resolution.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Alexquade said:

Been missing for quite a while, but I have a 14 Sierra SLT crew cab. When I first test drove it, the sun roof quit working after venting. No issue, they’ll have to fix it. Bought it Saturday and it started working on the way home, Monday back to the lot bc it quit again. Sat for over a week trying to trouble shoot it. It messed up once and they did a relearn and worked fine for them after. Picked it up, next day same thing. Waited for ext warranty to kick in and brought it to the GMC branch of said dealership. It had worked perfectly every freaking time they try it. 
 

here’s what it does. When it’s slightly warm out, on a cold start after sitting in the sun for hours, it’ll open and not close, or it won’t function at all, OR the buttons will all do the same thing. Drive it for 30 minutes or so, and it’ll either work right, or the buttons will again do all the same thing. When it doesn’t function, you can hear A clicking right behind the buttons. Do y’all have any ideas what I can do so they can try to diagnose it? Any idea what it may be so I can try to fix it myself? I’m fixing to contact GM as the dealership wants me to pick up my truck since it’s “working properly”. I love my truck, but the sunroof was the main reason I got it. Sorry for the long message, and thanks in advance!!

 

ETA: I have searched high and low for this problem, and there’s no one who has this same problem. I’m not blowing fuses at all, I don’t have the console charge pad, no the sliding back glass.

How old is your battery?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alexquade said:

That I’m not sure. Definitely wouldn’t hurt to check it, I guess! Thinking about it now, first start before the test drive, it struggled a little bit to start.

The factory batteries have a horrible life span.

 

There is a post on her about someone's turn signal not working, I suggested the battery, he swapped it and problems are gone. 

Another poster had an electrical problem, replaced battery, problem gone.

I know when the battery went bad in my 14, I had all kinds of strange issues that went away with a new battery installed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

The factory batteries have a horrible life span.

 

There is a post on her about someone's turn signal not working, I suggested the battery, he swapped it and problems are gone. 

Another poster had an electrical problem, replaced battery, problem gone.

I know when the battery went bad in my 14, I had all kinds of strange issues that went away with a new battery installed.

Not here.  Found the problem before battery replacement, and still have the problem after a brand new battery.  Not to say it won't help the OP, but not I.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, meichelman said:

Not here.  Found the problem before battery replacement, and still have the problem after a brand new battery.  Not to say it won't help the OP, but not I.

 

1 hour ago, Alexquade said:

Had the battery checked, it checked out good, 100% charged.

I would still check the loom that runs through the center console, I have had the lid apart putting on the chrome handle latch, and they do not do a good job of protecting what it rubs against as you open and close the lid. That seems to be the problem with the rear slider failing, but i could be wrong on the roof being part of the same loom.

Don't think the charger makes a difference if you have it or not, just something else that is part of the wire loom.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a video of it, if someone could let me know of a video host other than YouTube that would work here.... I have a new switch on order. Just waiting for it to get to my house. Will it be plug and play, or will it need to be programmed???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2019 at 10:02 PM, Alexquade said:

I’d have the loom even though I don’t have the slider or charge pad? Is it in the console itself or in the lid??

At this point I would ask the parts department at your dealership if they can provide the schematic of the sunroof, for parts, wiring and so on, just so you have a better idea of where to look. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2019 at 11:03 AM, meichelman said:

Not possessed.  I have the same issue on my '14 High Country.  I've narrowed it down to heat.  When it is cool outside and/or no direct sunlight heating up the sunroof, it works perfectly.  This is why the dealer was unable to reproduce while it sat in their service bay.  And when I picked it up in the morning, no problems.  Later in the day, it produces all sorts of stuttering and stops.

 

I've had an independent shop test as much as they could get to without taking everything apart (apparently it involves the curtain airbags).  They believe the problem is with the motor.  The switches checked out just fine regarding voltage.  Haven't had a chance to hand it over to a specialist yet, as I need my truck on a daily basis.

 

And yes, I signed up just for this post.  I've been researching this problem for quite a while now.  There's one other post on this forum from about 4 years ago that describes the same issue, but there was no resolution.

Not sure why I haven’t seen this post before, but this is my exact problem. I’ve changed the switch and it didn’t help. I will contact the dealer again and relay more info before I start doing more myself since I have ext warranty. I’m not the greatest with wiring or taking stuff apart! Thanks for confirming I’m not the only one having these issues!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.