In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Cupton

Fuel Range Icon

Can anyone help me understand this icon for fuel range? I understand the text letting me know how many miles I have remaining but what is with this icon? It never changes no matter how empty or how full my tank is. The full circle and half full circle (I’m an optimist) underneath the icon seems to be a gauge and I assumed it would visually show the fuel level. But nope! What am I missing here?

309de84a11975d9b33bb37fe0be30c7c.jpg

21 minutes ago, Cupton said:

Can anyone help me understand this icon for fuel range? I understand the text letting me know how many miles I have remaining but what is with this icon? It never changes no matter how empty or how full my tank is. The full circle and half full circle (I’m an optimist) underneath the icon seems to be a gauge and I assumed it would visually show the fuel level. But nope! What am I missing here?

309de84a11975d9b33bb37fe0be30c7c.jpg

It is a static image - it does not represent the fuel level.  Simply there for looks, nothing else.

• Thanks 1

I had hoped when I got the truck that acted as a gauge as well. However, nope. That's what the one in the top of your cluster is for. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all. Glad to know I my truck isn't broken. It's an interesting choice for that icon for sure.

• Like 1

Mine changes. It doesn’t go down with the gas used or anything but when I get low on fuel it will pop up and be red and almost empty

5 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

Mine changes. It doesn’t go down with the gas used or anything but when I get low on fuel it will pop up and be red and almost empty

Well, it could do this. I never have let the low fuel light come on in this truck yet. Takes too much to fill up at that point lol. But, it still doesn't act as a gauge for the fuel. 

8 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

Thanks! I'll have to pay attention to it when the light comes on. I think I've only seen the light come on once since I've had the truck. Surprised the light didnt come on when I got the low fuel warning. Maybe once it reads empty. Not a big deal, I was just curious about that icon this morning when I was looking at it.