Just put the wrong oil in.....have a road trip tomorrow. Cancel or let it rip?

Just changed the oil in my '15 Sierra 5.3. Oil spec is 0W-20 per manual and fill cap. Realized I was using 5W-30 as I was pouring in the 8th quart.

I've read of the DoD lifters having problems. How sensitive are they to pressure changes from oil viscosity?

Do I need to change before a 600mi road trip tomorrow, or am I good to go?

Gut tells me it's no big deal, head tells me that 0W-20 was spec'd for a reason and I shouldn't mess with that.

Anyone have any thoughts?

1 hour ago, 2kwik4u said:

Just changed the oil in my '15 Sierra 5.3. Oil spec is 0W-20 per manual and fill cap. Realized I was using 5W-30 as I was pouring in the 8th quart.

I've read of the DoD lifters having problems. How sensitive are they to pressure changes from oil viscosity?

Do I need to change before a 600mi road trip tomorrow, or am I good to go?

Gut tells me it's no big deal, head tells me that 0W-20 was spec'd for a reason and I shouldn't mess with that.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Going up to 5w-30w I do not think is any problem.It may give a stronger resistance against wear from friction!

I’ve been running Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30 in mine for about 6k miles now and no issues. It runs better imo and quieter than 0w20. 

not sure where you live but in TX where I’m at 0w20 is too thin for the climate. It doesn’t get cold enough here to warrant it. Imo. 

I agree a little thicker is ok and more so in the warmer states. But I have to think that oil pump will not like this and I know the valve train doesn't.
In my opinion it is like all the threads on fuild in trans and how/when to change. If you are wrong it gets expensive. And in your case trip ruined and stuck on road. For what under $100 worth of oil. [emoji51]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I mean, there are some people that actually prefer it, I wouldn't worry about it too much at all. I've considered going to the 5W30 when my warranty is up.

Tell you what you could do if you're really that concerned...drain 3 quarts or so and fill it up with 0W20. Good for 5,000 miles, easy. IMO 

"Let her rip, tater chip"

For us dumbasses......   :lol:

Centistokes (cSt) - A unit of kinematic viscosity, one hundreth of a stokes. Symbol, cSt. In practice, measurements are usually stated in centistokes, not stokes. The kinematic viscosity of water is about 1.0038 centistokes

Stokes - the cgs unit of kinematic viscosity, corresponding to a dynamic viscosity of 1 poise and a density of 1 gram per cubic centimeter, equivalent to 10-4 square meters per second

Poise - is the unit of dynamic viscosity (absolute viscosity) in the centimetre–gram–second system of units. 

HTHS measures the viscosity (resistance to flow) of an engine lubricant at elevated temperatures (150°C) under constant shear, simulating the narrow tolerances and high speeds between moving parts in a hot engine

Edited by txab
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

We are talking about 2 centistokes at 100 C viscosity. Less than a point at HTHS. 10 mph load change makes more vis difference than that from the heat increase. That AFM VVT won't know the difference. Enjoy the trip. 

Thanks for the detailed analysis. This is the info I really wanted to find, but couldn't in short order this morning or last night.

16 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

spacer.png

Lots of talk.

Drive it!!!

spacer.png

:)

That's exactly what I did. Didn't have to change it this morning, and the consensus when I left was that it was fine. Drove it 300mi this morning, pressure is a litter higher but otherwise no I'll effects that I can tell. 

Probably swap it out a bit earlier than normal, but will otherwise run it this way for awhile.

Thanks to all who replied.

• Like 1

There is no question will it run. But what goes though my head is the if issue. If it breaks down and goes to dealer for a engine repair. They see the oil and decline warrant. So the what if of the possible issues worth $60. No it isn't.
But at this point I would guess he is driving so that ship.has sailed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk