In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
JRDRanger

Clutch pedal sibks to floor, Slave cylinder not engaging

i have 1995 c1500 4.3 manual 2wd

i just got done with changing the clutch and bolting back the transmission. During disassembly, the slave cylinder push rod popped out for whatever reason. i put the push rod back in and bolted the slave back in the tranny. When i tried depressing the clutch pedal it was stiff as a rock. A new slave cylinder later, the clutch pedal moves, but with no resistance. it just sinks to the floor. i have tried bleeding it, but no results. Also, the push rod is not moving in and out?? any ideas? do i still have to bleed it more?

If i'm understanding your post, you might not have the push rod in correctly. I removed my slave cylinder to replace my starter and once everything was back together my clutch pedal wouldn't push in. After removing it and putting it back in again it was fine. I think the rod fits into a cup and if you don't have it in just right it won't work properly. I hope this helps.

8 hours ago, 91 Shortbed Chevy said:

If i'm understanding your post, you might not have the push rod in correctly. I removed my slave cylinder to replace my starter and once everything was back together my clutch pedal wouldn't push in. After removing it and putting it back in again it was fine. I think the rod fits into a cup and if you don't have it in just right it won't work properly. I hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply

I have since replaced the slave cylinder and still not getting any pressure. The push rod is not moving. 

Ok so i finally got the slave cylinder rod to move but the rod popped out again when i was pumping the clutch pedal? This happened while it was out of the transmission. I pushed it back all the way in and let the plastic retainers hold it in place, pump the pedal a couple times and it pops out again and the pedal gets stiff. 

Regarding the clutch fork, i can move it back and forth by hand, but It doesn't retract when i push it in, is it supposed to do that? And how far is it supposed to push in and out? I get about an inch 

14 hours ago, JRDRanger said:

Ok so i finally got the slave cylinder rod to move but the rod popped out again when i was pumping the clutch pedal? This happened while it was out of the transmission. I pushed it back all the way in and let the plastic retainers hold it in place, pump the pedal a couple times and it pops out again and the pedal gets stiff. 

Regarding the clutch fork, i can move it back and forth by hand, but It doesn't retract when i push it in, is it supposed to do that? And how far is it supposed to push in and out? I get about an inch 

Sorry but you are getting out of my comfort zone. I've never been into one as far as you are so someone with more experience than me will have to step in. Good luck with your repair.