In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Plumber101010

Help deciding 1500 4x4 vs 2500 4x2

Too long of a story explaining why I have to pick but having a hard time choosing between a new 2019 1500 4x4 or 2500 2 wheel drive. Can choose in both either double cab 8’ bed, crew 8’ bed, or double cab 6.5 and crew 6.5

I’ve owned many in both. Own a service company.  My experiences are there is just a WORLD of difference between the way the 2500 is built to the 1500.

The 1500 has always felt very cheap to me, light weight and light duty, whereas when you get behind the wheel of a 2500, It is VASTLY and noticeably stronger, all the way around,  in every possible way. You just know it’s a well built truck. 

Unfortunately  I am just a four-wheel-drive fanatic and I love them. I’m coming off a Duramax crew cab 4x4 6.5 bed that got totaled in a wreck and I’m trying not to think about my dream truck right now sitting in a salvage yard but that’s another story as well...

Truth is I seldom if ever used the 4x4, and having a 2 Wheel drive with a locking rear is pretty darn close. Stripped the truck before salvage so I still have my Warn 12K Winch’s that can be mounted to the 2500.

My purpose?  2 year road trip loaded to the max with all kinds of heavy gear. Possibly towing my Honda pioneer 1000 behind me. And Aluminum Commercial Topper. Just my wife and I, and our “son” the little guy, our Pomeranian.

What would you all choose?  Really want a crew cab 8 foot bed but something tells me it’s going to be a monster far as total length goes and getting around some of the back roads out west could be a problem, not sure, never been, but a double shortens me up some. Enough to matter I don’t know!

Need HELP

But it’s hard to go down to the double cab when you had a crew your whole life.

• Like 1

I have two thoughts on it. The 2500 might be bigger and stronger but will ride significantly harsher during a two year rode trip and the fuel expense will be more vs a 1500. If neither of those things matter i guess your only decision is do you need 4wd or not? If you need it go that route. Hard to say what you will come across in the next two years. 

Why can't you get a 2500 4wd? My experience is that 99% of the 2500s on the lot are 4wd. 

if you question which then chances are you don't need 4wd. Many people buy it for the image and never use it saying they would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, but a $100 tow is much cheaper than a $4k option; one where you might get half back on not including all the other expenses associated with it (financing, gas, insurance, maintenance, etc). A few of my friends are in that same boat, they want 4wd so bad and admit they will never have a need or use for it that they bought lower option trucks to fit their budget so they can have it, they just love saying 4wd is what it sounds like. Buy what you will use and need, not what an imaged society thinks you should. So many guys on here will say they will never own a non 4wd truck yet they never use or need it, especially south of the mason dixon.  A winch is a much better option, especially when you can make it removable front to back.

Running around for 2 years fully loaded and already towing an off road vehicle makes 4wd pretty useless unless you plan on being in the mountains in the winter. You get stuck you have the winch and a side by side you can unload and pull you out...

Tyler

I had a 2007 Crew Cab Silverado 1500 RWD for 12 years. I can really only think of 3-4 times in those 12 years where 4x4 would have helped me out. Then again, whenever we got snow and ice down here in North & East Texas, I would just use my wife's MDX, which had fantastic AWD. Now she drives a front wheel drive minivan, which is why I decided to get a 4x4 in my 2019 RST. I like having at least one 4x4 vehicle in the family. Plus, we drive to MN some years for the holidays to see family and 2 of those trips we drove through full-on blizzards. The MDX helped a lot with peace of mind and traction. 

Looks like you live in Charleston, SC, where your chances of snow and ice are really minimal. I know you guys get some extreme weather some years, though. 

Saying all that, I like having a 4x4 truck. Whenever it rains here in DFW, the roads are really slippery. It gives me a lot of peace of mind to run the truck in 4 Auto, knowing I can accelerate quickly from stops or in traffic. Nowadays, the MPG loss with 4x4 is minimal, and even the maintenance costs over the long-haul are not that bad. 

From what you write above, I think a 1500 would suit you well. The new T1s are really built strong. You can immediately feel it when you sit in one or drive it down the road. 

Ultimately, you should go test drive both - 1500 4x4 and 2500 2x4. See what you like, then make a decision that you'll feel good about many years from now. 

Edited by econometrics
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Plumber101010 said:

Too long of a story explaining why I have to pick but having a hard time choosing between a new 2019 1500 4x4 or 2500 2 wheel drive.

What would you all choose?  Really want a crew cab 8 foot bed but something tells me it’s going to be a monster far as total length goes and getting around some of the back roads out west could be a problem, not sure, never been, but a double shortens me up some. Enough to matter I don’t know!

Need HELP

Get what you want.  Definitely stick with Crew Cab.  Now as for the bed, how would a 6.5 bed impede you?  Do you need to haul two pallets at once with the tailgate up?

99% of the time, a good set of tires will get you through most adverse terrain.  HOWEVER, since this rig is so long, whether it be a 6.5 or 8.0 bed, the 4x4 capability sure would make getting out of trouble easier.  I like it for peace of mind when my wife and children are behind the wheel, stick the transfer case in AUTO and forget about it.

Now, why the chassis difference?  Can't you get a 2500 4x4?

Consider also the 2019 1-ton Duraburb.  Duramax, 3500 chassis, seats 7 and it's a 4x4!    

Edited by swathdiver

My main concern is the 1500 will not be up to the challenge of caring a maximum payload combined with pulling a trailer through very harsh terrain. Bouncing around and such I don’t know that the axle / suspension  can handle it without premature failure down the road.

If I wasn’t caring anything but camping gear it would be a no brainer to go with a 1500 4x4, but it will be loaded up probably even pass payload capacity. Add on a roof rack with a aluminum topper, heavy on its own, and tons of weight I just don’t know that it can handle it.

Edited by Plumber101010

2 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Get what you want.  Definitely stick with Crew Cab.  Now as for the bed, how would a 6.5 bed impede you?  Do you need to haul two pallets at once with the tailgate up?

99% of the time, a good set of tires will get you through most adverse terrain.  HOWEVER, since this rig is so long, whether it be a 6.5 or 8.0 bed, the 4x4 capability sure would make getting out of trouble easier.  I like it for peace of mind when my wife and children are behind the wheel, stick the transfer case in AUTO and forget about it.

Now, why the chassis difference?  Can't you get a 2500 4x4?

Consider also the 2019 1-ton Duraburb.  Duramax, 3500 chassis, seats 7 and it's a 4x4!    

It was my first choice for living on the road but the price range is something I can’t touch :)

3 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

if you question which then chances are you don't need 4wd. Many people buy it for the image and never use it saying they would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, but a $100 tow is much cheaper than a $4k option; one where you might get half back on not including all the other expenses associated with it (financing, gas, insurance, maintenance, etc). A few of my friends are in that same boat, they want 4wd so bad and admit they will never have a need or use for it that they bought lower option trucks to fit their budget so they can have it, they just love saying 4wd is what it sounds like. Buy what you will use and need, not what an imaged society thinks you should. So many guys on here will say they will never own a non 4wd truck yet they never use or need it, especially south of the mason dixon.  A winch is a much better option, especially when you can make it removable front to back.

Running around for 2 years fully loaded and already towing an off road vehicle makes 4wd pretty useless unless you plan on being in the mountains in the winter. You get stuck you have the winch and a side by side you can unload and pull you out...

Tyler

Absolutely everything you said was spot on and I wholeheartedly agree. However in this case I know ahead of time I am going to be going places that have really hard terrain and a 4 x 4 is almost going to be a given.

The only thing I will disagree with is that you’re  negating the boy toy factor. Do we really need most things we buy in life? Probably not. But if it makes someone happy and makes their outlook in life brighter, who cares ya know?

• Like 1

Just how long of a beast is the crew cab 8 foot bed? When it comes to off road / 4x4ing, is it manageable?  I could really use the extra room!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plumber101010 said:

Just how long of a beast is the crew cab 8 foot bed? When it comes to off road / 4x4ing, is it manageable?  I could really use the extra room!

If you plan to take a CCLB "off road", you'll be sadly disappointed.    

• Like 1

I could never imagine going back to a a 2wd truck. 

Better to have it and not need it than...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Plumber101010 said:

Too long of a story explaining why I have to pick but having a hard time choosing between a new 2019 1500 4x4 or 2500 2 wheel drive. Can choose in both either double cab 8’ bed, crew 8’ bed, or double cab 6.5 and crew 6.5

I’ve owned many in both. Own a service company.  My experiences are there is just a WORLD of difference between the way the 2500 is built to the 1500.

The 1500 has always felt very cheap to me, light weight and light duty, whereas when you get behind the wheel of a 2500, It is VASTLY and noticeably stronger, all the way around,  in every possible way. You just know it’s a well built truck. 

Unfortunately  I am just a four-wheel-drive fanatic and I love them. I’m coming off a Duramax crew cab 4x4 6.5 bed that got totaled in a wreck and I’m trying not to think about my dream truck right now sitting in a salvage yard but that’s another story as well...

Truth is I seldom if ever used the 4x4, and having a 2 Wheel drive with a locking rear is pretty darn close. Stripped the truck before salvage so I still have my Warn 12K Winch’s that can be mounted to the 2500.

My purpose?  2 year road trip loaded to the max with all kinds of heavy gear. Possibly towing my Honda pioneer 1000 behind me. And Aluminum Commercial Topper. Just my wife and I, and our “son” the little guy, our Pomeranian.

Need HELP

But it’s hard to go down to the double cab when you had a crew your whole life.

Confucius say: Buying a 2WD Truck is a moment of savings $$ and great excitement.  Digging a 2WD Truck out of sand or mud is a time of intense regret.  Trying to sell a 2WD Truck is a time of deep financial woe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah you don't want to be offroading with any 2500, let alone a CCLB. I drive one, a nightmare in the cities, and it will damn near high centre on parking lot speed bumps so you will be SOL the first hump you try to go over regardless of 2x4 or 4x4. I can carry my entire shop with me and 120 gal of coloured fuel though, so that is a bonus. Personally a 2WD would not work for me and I don't venture too far off the main road. I drive my DCSB 1500 when I go to the city to pick up parts or get a rad rebuilt etc. Another thing to consider is 12mpg vs 19mpg. Put some helper bags in the 1500 and enjoy your truck, it sucks to daily a 2500 in comparison. Get more of your gear out of the truck bed and loaded in the trailer so your not maxing out your GVWR.

Edited by L86 All Terrain