Has anyone replaced the 6L80 Torque Converter with the 6L90

I am looking for a better than stock torque converter for the 6L80 that doesn't fall apart. Want to know if anyone has installed the ZL1/CTS-V converter from the 6L90 into our trans?

Thanks

- Cliff

Edited by The.Sundae.Drive
  • Like 1

Doubtful as most guys swapping TC's do so for warranty replacement reasons, or they go aftermarket for a higher stall for performance builds. It would for sure be an upgrade, I believe the 80e has a 9 3/4" OEM TC and the 90e is a 12" converter, so hopefully someone chimes in about bellhousing clearance. I am 99% sure that a 90e converter will fit the 80e bellhousing without mods. But if going that route I would personally buy a Circle D converter for a 6L80 or 90. In a low stall for good street manners, handles 800hp input and only about 900 beans. Let us know what route you go and why. Is your truck modded or you tow heavy a lot?  

50 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Doubtful as most guys swapping TC's do so for warranty replacement reasons, or they go aftermarket for a higher stall for performance builds. It would for sure be an upgrade, I believe the 80e has a 9 3/4" OEM TC and the 90e is a 12" converter, so hopefully someone chimes in about bellhousing clearance. I am 99% sure that a 90e converter will fit the 80e bellhousing without mods. But if going that route I would personally buy a Circle D converter for a 6L80 or 90. In a low stall for good street manners, handles 800hp input and only about 900 beans. Let us know what route you go and why. Is your truck modded or you tow heavy a lot?  

I am currently installing ported heads and a stage 1 cam. I don't tow often but I do frequently enough that I don't want to push the stall up by a 800-1000 RPMs. I am not worried about hold extra power at this point, I simply don't want the converter to fail (108K) and I have the motor pulled so it is a good time to do it. Circle D confirmed that it will fit. Their modified one shifts the torque range higher than I really want to go. I usually tow at the max range of my truck. I generally tow 7K+ (accidentally much higher on occasion in the 12 to 13K range lol). 2014 5.3 1500 - standard towing package. Looking for longevity. 

• Like 1

If that's the case then the OEM 6L90 converter would be a great option for you and your trucks power levels. You don't want to over-stall on a tow rig as you will heat the TC up because it will slip more. I am sure there are many stock stall options out there, but your idea is probably the best one based on your intended uses.   

3 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

If that's the case then the OEM 6L90 converter would be a great option for you and your trucks power levels. You don't want to over-stall on a tow rig as you will heat the TC up because it will slip more. I am sure there are many stock stall options out there, but your idea is probably the best one based on your intended uses.   

I'm leaning towards it as well. Now I need to find someone who knows what tuning or modules need to be swapped. 

Ya that's not my area of expertise, some members have recently chased away the forum's resident tuning expert who would have been able to answer that for you sadly. In my mind, you should be able to have GM flash a 2500's trans files into your truck. It could also work pretty good with the OEM 1500 tune, as it is the same trans but with higher shift points for the 2500 trucks. It may accept the 1500 tune and shift 100% as stock. But look into it, call a tuner. Don't take my word for it in this regard. 

2 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Ya that's not my area of expertise, some members have recently chased away the forum's resident tuning expert who would have been able to answer that for you sadly. In my mind, you should be able to have GM flash a 2500's trans files into your truck. It could also work pretty good with the OEM 1500 tune, as it is the same trans but with higher shift points for the 2500 trucks. It may accept the 1500 tune and shift 100% as stock. But look into it, call a tuner. Don't take my word for it in this regard. 

Ok. I appreciate it. Seems like the forum is dying a bit sadly. Facebook is killing them off.

On 11/28/2019 at 9:00 AM, nominion said:

I would think that with the work you are doing, a tune for both the ECM and TCM would make a lot of sense.  There are a couple options for tuning the 6L80, so you should be able to dial it in. 

That's what I am thinking as well. I got GPI lined up to tune it for me so I think I am in good shape. Hopefully lol

When my TC shattered to pieces in my 2014 SLT i got the entire trans rebuilt with better parts by a local transmission show.

Gears were fine but rest of it was replaced. Shift kit, thermostat delete kit, better beefier TC and so on. Runs great but i'd have to look at my receipt to see what brand TC was used.

On 11/27/2019 at 9:22 AM, The.Sundae.Drive said:

I am looking for a better than stock torque converter for the 6L80 that doesn't fall apart. Want to know if anyone has installed the ZL1/CTS-V converter from the 6L90 into our trans?

Thanks

- Cliff

The 6l90 was LS only to the best of my knowledge

Doubt its worth looking into

the only transmissions offered on the LT platform is the 6l80, 8l90, and the 10r80.

2 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

The 6l90 was LS only to the best of my knowledge

Doubt its worth looking into

the only transmissions offered on the LT platform is the 6l80, 8l90, and the 10r80.

It is the Torque Converter used in the ZL1 which was equipped with the 6L90 from 2012-2015: CHEVROLET PERFORMANCE ZL1 CAMARO TORQUE CONVERTER; 24242552 I've went ahead and ordered one. GPI is going to tune it for me.

5 hours ago, Ozer said:

When my TC shattered to pieces in my 2014 SLT i got the entire trans rebuilt with better parts by a local transmission show.

Gears were fine but rest of it was replaced. Shift kit, thermostat delete kit, better beefier TC and so on. Runs great but i'd have to look at my receipt to see what brand TC was used.

Hoping I can avoid that. Have the motor pulled right now so easy to do the swap.

• 1 month later...